Private Mars Colony Project [%100 Real I swear]

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
http://www.space.com/22556-private-mars-one-colony-applications.html

If you haven't heard about this yet, go ahead and look up some articles yourself. They're sending people to make a Mars colony and they're going to fund it through media and publicity.

What do you think about all of this? Has anybody considered applying, perhaps? Apparently it's a one-way ticket to Mars. o_O

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Man, I've always been so fascinated with Astronomy and what's out there and stuff. It's really spectacular to be seeing this happen within my lifetime, good luck to those who do take the mission. Their's no way I would do something like this, haha. It'd be cool and novel in so many ways, but I wouldn't risk it since it could go totally wrong and because of all of the time I'd have to prepare.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:55 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Though I'd love to apply, total settlement on Mars probably won't even happen until after my death as an old man.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Oh, my...

That's...amazing. To think that we're already getting to Mars in my lifetime...

Maybe some day, I'll apply...not now, of course, but in the 2023 launches. It depends a lot on how my life goes and what I'm like then, but...

Well, to leave Earth and never return...sounds oddly nice. I don't know...

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Hyperbolic
I don't know but it's a good idea for a movie or video game. Wonder how it'll work out in real life. It'd be nice to see humans living on Mars.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Been here way too long...
It's good to see non-profits taking over when NASA has been restricted, but I first heard about this Mars One project a few years ago. Their plan hasn't changed: it's still "throw money at Mars until humans live there." They have a very attractive plan laid out, but it relies on technology we don't have, and these guys won't be the ones developing it. For instance, there's currently no way to provide radiation shielding strong enough to prevent radiation sickness on the way to Mars, and light enough to surround a spaceship with. Water is an effective shield, but too dense to shoot much of it into space.

Mars One is doing something more important than asking money in return for promises: they're keeping our eyes pointed upwards. As long as we, as a species, believe that we can set foot on Mars, we'll work to make it happen. Cynicism is what's cutting off NASA's funding. Also the U.S. government, which funds NASA.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'd apply, but I am only 12 and still want to see my parents for a bit longer, or wait untill we can actually GET OFF mars or skype long distance

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Personally I'm more hoping for the day that public sub-orbital space flights become available. It's sooner than you think.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
trickybilly said:
I don't know but it's a good idea for a movie or video game. Wonder how it'll work out in real life. It'd be nice to see humans living on Mars.
I'd have a lot of interest in a short game/movie/novel set from the perspective of the Mars settlers as Earth's population self-destructs for any given reason, leaving them to survive totally alone with only what they brought with them and what they can still produce. Probably not a good idea to show it to them though :pignon2: It's going to be a pretty empty existence regardless.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM
There is likely a film or short story about that already, but googling works of art based on concept is tricky.
Real-life spoilers, though: a Mars colony will not be self-sufficient. You need farms, which need an ecosystem, which Mars does not have. The Martians that get cut off from Earth will be the last generation of Martians for a long time.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This is so wierdly thought out it makes me wonder if this thing isn't just a grab for attention, very elaborate scam or vague wishful thinking. Apparently they want as many submissions as possible from ordinary people and NOT from people who have any form of experience to pilot a spaceship. They then expect these people to just sit around in tiny prisons for years untill more people can join the assembly to do nothing but livin' it high on the red planet.
I know there is going to be training, but taking in consideration this is a first in humanity to start colonizing a foreign planet, you'd think they would pick out the most capable astronauts in the world and not just some newbies to do the job. And then there's the issue with supplies of food, water, oxygen, gravity and the lack of ecosystem...
It's a fantastic idea, don't get me wrong there but it is just impossible for now.

I guess it might be eventually good for one thing, you might become the first tombstone on Mars in history.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Maybe the true purpose is to send a bunch of people nobody likes there :chin:

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Reasons why I would not go to mars:
1) mars has no internet
2) mars has no internet

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM
3) mars has no cats

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
But you could totally bring a cat with you. It would have a little cat spacesuit and be immensely pointless and impractical, and this is why it has to be done.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM
If you've ever tried to make a cat wear anything, you have an idea of why a spacesuit would not work.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Professional Whatever
Dogs are for the peasants
Cats are the only real choice for a pet

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I like how that was their 3rd attempt at an AMA
if they keep it up they'll win the PocketCake Award For Excellence In Sticking Your Nose In Beehives And Keeping It There