Pokemon SoulSilver

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:18 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
In 2010, I got a copy of SoulSilver as a gift, but for some reason, I never got around to playing through the whole thing. In October of 2023, I decided to make a new save to finally beat the game and to see some other things the game had to offer along the way. I also had the idea to write a log and a journal for the playthrough so I would have a detailed record of the happenings. That enables me to share it, but it's also great to have when looking back on it in the future.

Throughout the time I spent playing it, I experienced far more than I could have anticipated. In the beginning, it was mostly the result of things I had forgotten or my choices of what Pokemon to use. I never used Ampharos in a team prior to this and I was blown away by how good they are. I also picked up a favorable opinion of Raticates, which I never would have expected. The level curve is all over the place in these games. I especially felt it at the last Elite Four battle and with the fight on Mt. Silver, which I got through with some old friends helping me out. I already knew how the game ended, but finally having reached it myself gave me some sense of closure I wasn't expecting. To think it took me only 13.75 years to get there.

In addition to completing the story, I also got to go through a great deal of the additional modes and hidden events. A lot of this was thanks to Aar. We put a lot of time into the Battle Tower and he gave me good pointers on things to see that I didn't know about or wouldn't have thought to try. I also played a lot of the Voltorb Flip minigame, which I can now appreciate thanks to having figured out how to play it.

I put the full version of the journal up on my website. I don't think a post with 20,000+ words is even possible and breaking it out into multiple posts would just feel spammy.
Anyway, here's the link to it

I guess while I'm on the subject, has anyone else revisited one of the older Pokemon games recently? How was the experience? Does anyone else think "Hey look, it's Andwhy!" within the first 0.78 seconds of a Mawile appearing on screen while playing a Pokemon game?

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:35 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah. I revisisted my heartgold copy a couple of years ago and i kinda had the same experience too (including ampharos lol). The DS era was just the superior era, and it cant be bias because i played heartgold on the 3DS.