Playing on Linux

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello All!

I recently installed linux on my netbook (peppermintos for those who are interested) and was wondering if there was a version of Cavestory+ that I could play. I own the game on steam, and I've played through the game many times! If anyone has any knowledge of what I can do, please do tell!

Thank you!

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As far as I know the Humble Indie Bundle release came with bins for all three major platforms. Not sure if they're available for download anywhere else, all I know is that there were a lot of complaints on the forum about it not working very well.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Try and open steam and run the game unless you tried that. But I think it should work because I think it plays through steam so you wouldn't need to install it.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Try and open steam and run the game unless you tried that. But I think it should work because I think it plays through steam so you wouldn't need to install it.

Aha, that wouldn't quite work. There isn't a steam for Linux as of yet, nor does the game play out of steam. But thank you for the help =]

As far as I know the Humble Indie Bundle release came with bins for all three major platforms. Not sure if they're available for download anywhere else, all I know is that there were a lot of complaints on the forum about it not working very well.

That's my problem ya see, I don't have that HIB, so I can't even try for it to work.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Its np. And I have another idea. Try and look up cavestory.bin on one of the download websites. If not download the game and get rid of the exe file extention and replace it with bin

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's probably not a good idea to try to give advice on things you don't know anything about

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well I can atleast try, don't you think and my ideas are harmless. Its not like im gonna kill his computer or anything. And I've had experience with this kind of thing before so don't go posting things like that without some bk. (Not being bossy)

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for the edit Noxid, I didn't understand how to do that, but I think I understand now.

So besides for the HIB, there isn't really a good way, and the linux variation from that wasn't very good?

Well, thanks anyways, haha, I can always play it on my desktop =]

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Yeah, if you can play it on windows or Mac OS that would be better.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Since linux is case-sensitive there are a few problems arising from the naming of files that aren't apparent in windows. Just renaming a few files should fix any issues.

The below quoted instructions should fix most bugs with CS+ Linux:

[snip]

I need to put this on the site at some point. It's been brought up often enough.

Scratch that, I redownloaded the HiB Linux version just now and the bugs were fixed.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You could try to run it in Wine. Or wait for Valve to release that linux port of Steam which is supposed to be under development right now. If they are as good with customer satisfaction as I've heard them to be, your CS+ purchase should work on Linux just as well (HOWEVER, ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF THAT'S THE CASE, it might be that you'll need to buy the Linux version separately...) Also, until I see the Linux version of CS+ available on Steam, I won't hold my breath on it, either.

FWIW, as I don't have Windows on any of my machines (I'm a OSX & Linux person), the HIB Linux version is the only way for me to experience CS+ with the Remastered soundtrack. And yes, the Linux version had some bugs at first but they seem to have been fixed since. It's a pity the Linux version isn't actually available anywhere AFAICT now that that HIB has been over for a good deal of time...

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator