Parachute

May 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I was wondering if it was possible to hack in a parachute for Cave Story like in my remake Sky-Island Story: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/1500/

I've often found my finger going to the C-key to let loose my parachute in the original Cave Story since I made my game.

May 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
well, slowing your v velocity is easy, but I dunno about making use of the keyboard.

May 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Huh, that's actually a cool idea, but like Lace said, input and output in assembly is a monumental pain in the ass if you don't have the right procedures already set up.

May 28, 2009 at 10:38 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The only time I ever use that Sorajima parachute is the first arrival at Edge Town. You should make it clear that it's supposed to be used more frequently in the gameplay, perhaps?

May 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Lace said:
well, slowing your v velocity is easy, but I dunno about making use of the keyboard.

wedge of cheese said:
Huh, that's actually a cool idea, but like Lace said, input and output in assembly is a monumental pain in the ass if you don't have the right procedures already set up.

Hmmm.... Maybe instead just using the jump key, remaking one of the boosters perhaps?

Yal said:
The only time I ever use that Sorajima parachute is the first arrival at Edge Town. You should make it clear that it's supposed to be used more frequently in the gameplay, perhaps?

Lol! It used to be very important back when I didn't know how to have a Max vspeed, I made it so you'd die if you fell from too high, that's been changed now. The parachute is more just a nifty item to aid movement in the air now. Plus some items can't be collected without it but you can still complete the game without it, just you won't get the best ending...

May 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I suppose you could make a booster which has no sound effect, no 'fire' and is unlimited until the jump key is pushed again, which pushes you down slowly? It'd be more of a visual aesthetic than anything else, but it'd still be cool.

May 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Upaa said:
I suppose you could make a booster which has no sound effect, no 'fire' and is unlimited until the jump key is pushed again, which pushes you down slowly? It'd be more of a visual aesthetic than anything else, but it'd still be cool.

Then you couldn't move sideways, and it would be useless anyways.

May 31, 2009 at 4:34 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Sure you can move sideways. You can move sideways with the Booster v0.8 if you tone down its intensity and such. We're talking about a gentle fall here, not being shot upwards into space by an invisible jetpack.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Echidna-san said:
Sure you can move sideways. You can move sideways with the Booster v0.8 if you tone down its intensity and such. We're talking about a gentle fall here, not being shot upwards into space by an invisible jetpack.

Thats what I was thinking. Hmmm... What about the parachute graphic? Would it just be a slow falling Quote or is it possible to get a parachute to appear?

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh oh

Kurai said:
Thats what I was thinking. Hmmm... What about the parachute graphic? Would it just be a slow falling Quote or is it possible to get a parachute to appear?
The graphic would be a lot, lot harder to do, unless you did some really heavy hacking...
If you don't, you'll be stuck with only being able to change the graphics of the green rings that pop out of the Booster.
So it'd probably be best to make them invisible and just have Quote slowly falling...

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM
The graphic would be a lot, lot harder to do, unless you did some really heavy hacking...
not really, but a good sentiment.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Sounds like a challenge. Once I'm finished with my game I might give it a try... Or maybe I could find a way to lay my hands on the CS source and edit that... Doubt that. -_- Ah well! Back to Sorajima!!! ^_^