OS X Help

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If anyone here has had any success with using the saved game files (profile.dats) available on the tribute site with the mac version of cave story, please let me know how you did it!!! thx!

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:03 AM
OnlineCop
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
1) The Mac equivalent of "profiles.dat" is found here:
Library/Preferences/com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist

2) The beginning of this file is prefixed with about 402 bytes of Mac-specific stuff. However, at about hex 0x192, you start to see the same data as you would with the normal "profiles.dat" file.

3) The byte-order is reversed on Macs. So in the Windows version, the value "9999" has to be written "0f 27". In the Mac version, you have to write it "27 0f".

4) You have to completely close and re-open the "Doukutsu" application in order to see any changes from the file. In the Windows version, you could simply hit ESC, choose RESET, and reload the game and the changed "profiles.dat" would load. In Mac, the ".plist" file is loaded at the start of the application, so you will need to close and restart (Command-Q, or "File-->Quit") to see your modifications to the file.

If I have time in the next few days (weeks?), I'll try to write a rom-hacking file similar to what has been done already, but with the new offsets.

I hope this helped answer your question. See if you can't find that file: if you have problems, feel free to post here and I'll see if I can't find more explicit instructions.

Nov 12, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks!

I was doing some digging around and found the .plist. If you load it up into a plist editor, there's even a 'profile.dat' key that you can edit without a hexeditor, although its not as simple and the swapped byte order makes using the game saves on the trib site a bit of a hassle.

Nov 13, 2007 at 12:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
btw, the 'mac specific' offset is different depending on wether or not youve monkeyed with the default control mapping settings. if the control settings are left alone, cave story wont write them to the .plist, but if you have, then you get the additional .plist keys for the control mapping. so 402 bytes isnt set in stone. its pretty obvious when you look at it, but just fyi.