Original Japanese

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I'm trying to play Cave Story with the original Japanese script, but I seem to be getting some sort of Unicode glitch instead. Instead of characters, all the text in the game (with the exception of a few titles, which I assume is because they are just images) is just a mess of letters, numbers and symbols. I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise with the Japanese Language Pack installed. If anyone else has made the original work, or simply knows where my problem is, I'd appreciate the help.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Alien Plan Delta said:
I'm trying to play Cave Story with the original Japanese script, but I seem to be getting some sort of Unicode glitch instead. Instead of characters, all the text in the game (with the exception of a few titles, which I assume is because they are just images) is just a mess of letters, numbers and symbols. I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise with the Japanese Language Pack installed. If anyone else has made the original work, or simply knows where my problem is, I'd appreciate the help.

Try:
Control Panel > Region and Language > Administrative Tab > Change System Locale > Japanese > (Restart computer)

If your locale is already Japanese, then I'm not sure how to help. The locale is different from the language pack, but it may allow Japanese to be displayed properly in programs.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:14 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
The old download link is Klingonese, not Japanese.

Just kidding, Pixel might've used some other encoding, I can't help you here because I also have the same problem.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I believe he uses SHIFT-JIS encoding if that helps any

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:39 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Noxid said:
I believe he uses SHIFT-JIS encoding if that helps any
Thanks, it worked for me.