omfg I can't even play ikachan...

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I got this new netbook a couple days ago, an Acer aspire one. I deleted (or tried) to delete most of the pre-installed programs (like evernote, the barnes and noble reader program, ebay, etc..) and i downloaded two programs, Firealpaca and Gunbound. Those work fine but when I try to play Ikachan and Doukutsu they run like 1/3 speed. Can anyone help me with this? I can play Azarashi and Glasses just fine (downloaded those to test out) I have no idea what I can try to do, other than those two programs I downloaded I literally have nothing else other than some word documents and a couple of pictures. Sorry I really don't know anything about computers.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Downloading and installing a bunch of helper programs, or uninstalling them, will not really do anything.
I had this speed problem with La Mulana. To fix this...

1. Open DoConfig. Try every combination (yes really). I tried this with La Mulana and it
started running at normal speed instead of 1/3 speed when I changed the screen mode to fuzzy.
(Really NIGORO? Fuzzy mode? You just had to implement that?)
2. If that doesn't work, download VirtualBox or VMWare.
3. Download the ISO file for Damn Small Linux [DSL] which is free.
4. Install DSL into your VirtualBox or VMWare. It should be done in a few seconds, since DSL is tiny.
5. Install WINE into your Linux virtual machine.
6. Run Cave Story and Ikachan inside WINE inside Linux inside VirtualBox/VMWare inside Windows.
7. Steps 2 through 6 are extremely dumb and only recommended if you are really desperate or have a sense of humor.

DO NOT try to partition your hard drive and install Linux somewhere if you are using a Mac (you aren't).
You can do this with Windows safely, but it requires a bit more computer knowledge than getting a virtual machine.

EDIT: This should be moved to Technical Problems.

EDIT2: Also ask ASM hackers for the increased FPS hack which may or may not do anything.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I got this new netbook a couple days ago, an Acer aspire one. I deleted (or tried) to delete most of the pre-installed programs (like evernote, the barnes and noble reader program, ebay, etc..) and i downloaded two programs, Firealpaca and Gunbound. Those work fine but when I try to play Ikachan and Doukutsu they run like 1/3 speed. Can anyone help me with this? I can play Azarashi and Glasses just fine (downloaded those to test out) I have no idea what I can try to do, other than those two programs I downloaded I literally have nothing else other than some word documents and a couple of pictures. Sorry I really don't know anything about computers.
Cave Story (and probably ikachan as well) uses old DirectX rendering methods, which actually makes it run slower on newer computers iirc. Since the methods are outdated, your computer has to do more work to actually render things on screen. Something that may work is setting the executables to run in compatibility mode for older systems (like XP or Windows 2000).

Also what are the specs on your notebook? (RAM, processing speed, 32 or 64 bit, OS, graphics card)

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Not anymore
I think that RAM and processor are irrelevant. The games will always run slowly on new OSes.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:58 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i just got rick roll'd ... and i can't even exit out -_-

Carrotlord said:
Downloading and installing a bunch of helper programs, or uninstalling them, will not really do anything.
I had this speed problem with La Mulana. To fix this...
How do I open 'doconfig' ?

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Cave Story (and probably ikachan as well) uses old DirectX rendering methods, which actually makes it run slower on newer computers iirc. Since the methods are outdated, your computer has to do more work to actually render things on screen. Something that may work is setting the executables to run in compatibility mode for older systems (like XP or Windows 2000).

Also what are the specs on your notebook? (RAM, processing speed, 32 or 64 bit, OS, graphics card)
Ram: 1gb. Processing speed: (? I think it's this?) 1.6 GHz ?? 32-bit. Windows 7? I can't seem to figure out how to find the graphics card info, is it on this page?
p161196-0-c8aln.png

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Not anymore
Double click on the wrenchy thing inside the Cave Story folder? Or you can right click on it and press "Open".

Also, you'd better not be cultr1 again...

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:01 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
??? what does he have multiple accounts or something? cause i don't.

i thought it was that. I opened that but I could only change the window options, I tried all of them. I don't think the language will do anything, and plus if it does then i won't be able to play (with fun)

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Wait, what?
Did I make a troll account? D: seems I've forgotten...

Anyway, you're probably dealing with integrated graphics, I'd say 512 MB maximum, more likely 256 or even 128...

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
oh man I totally forgot D:

#GoodOldDays

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
-_- lol