Old versions of Cave Story?

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Searched both the forum and google, but couldn't find anything.

Is there a way to get your hands on version 1.0.0.4 or earlier, atm (other than maybe contacting pixel)? If not, does anybody know what changes were made from the initial release up to 1.0.0.5?

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I'm not totally sure, but I think I remember hearing that Pixel decided not to release any earlier versions of Cave Story, because they were too buggy.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So none of the earlier versions were ever made public? It's a bit odd since I think you can still get 1.0.0.4 for linux.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
People have asked. He says no. Not just no, either, it's a NO.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:23 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Holy crap it's groobo.

I haven't exactly searched for this myself, but yeah google doesn't turn up squat. Anyone wanna check and see if they still have it?

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
According to wikipedia, CS was released on december 20, 2004. And according to this page, the version released on that date was 1.0.0.0. So if I understand all of this correctly - older versions were made public, right? Like DoubleThink said, maybe someone still has it?

The reason I'm asking anyway is because I'm doing a speedrun of this game for a major speedrunning site. It's common in the speedrunning community to use older versions of games, because most of the time they allow for more glitches to be exploited for your advantage (that's why changelogs for versions up to 1.0.0.5 would be nice, since maybe there wasn't anything to exploit really). It's not like 1.0.0.6 doesn't have any glitches you can abuse, but still - an even less glitch-free version would be better.

DoubleThink: Hi. I didn't expect to see anyone from sda here :rolleyes:. Just keep it quiet there since I wanted CS to be a secret project. Thanks.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I think the first version that was released in English was v1.0.0.4. There might be some documentation in Japanese but I don't moonspeak. I've never really heard of any Cave Story glitches within the game itself aside from silly stuff like riding a bug during the Egg Corridor cutscene. The game script is set up so that it only runs one event at a time, so skipping past almost anything important means that events later on aren't likely to run properly. There are some bugs like getting ejected out the top of a sloped map if there's nothing solid underneath it, but none of the CS maps have any of that poor design. I'll see if I can get some of the HACKERS in here to see whether or not they know anything. Oh and looks like Lyger found this a while ago, if that's at all useful.

And yeah, small world >_> Chad, you got your competition right here.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, it doesn't have to be an english version. As for glitches in the current version, from the top of my head: 1) damage cancel glitch - this allows you to skip using jellyfish juice in chaco's house, 2) you can get pushed out of the map in labirynth I (this is useless though), 3) some trigger oversights (not literally a glitch), like you don't really have to return the fifth puppy to jenka. I knew about the other stuff, but it's all useless in a speedrun, well, maybe except bug riding which saves a bit of time in egg corridor (like you mentioned) and sand zone.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:08 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I have seen this thread before but the answer didn't come to my mind. Look, there is a web site where Cave Story hardcores especially the Japanese ones upload their stuff. I have found so many files that are old versions of CS not to mention that I think THEY meant it. Some of the files names can't help you so I guess you try to download every file on there that is likely a small archive file and ignore the other files.

I have got tingling sensation about this because I think I have seen a file called Doukutsu 1 or something that indicates it is the version number 1 of CS.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:28 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My Mac port of Cave Story says "Version.0.0.7.0" on the title screen. This seems ridiculously unlikely to actually be 0.0.7.0 though, since it's a perfectly normal game of Cave Story and something so early surely would have a lot of bugs and probably wouldn't even be complete.

My guess is that it's perhaps version 0.0.7.0 of the Mac port. You never know though, maybe it only went up to 0.0.7.0 or something before jumping to 1.0.0.0.

Doubt it very much, but could be something.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It seems I'm out of luck. I went through every single file at doukutsu uploader and the earliest version I could find was 1.0.0.5. It wasn't a total waste of time though, since I ran into the 2:17 hell run video and an equally awesome final cave run.

Ehh, time to finish the rest of the run still on 1.0.0.6.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Sorry I couldn't be more help despite being a member of the site, I don't actually keep up with stuff about the main game that much. This reminds me though, what type of run is this? Any% segmented?

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes. Btw, it looked great so far - I was 5 seconds ahead of chad's CURRENT run-in-progress before balfrog, despite grabbing two health tanks and saving two more times than him (I'd be over 20s faster than him at this point if I went for low%). Before my hdd crashed anyway :p. Now I have to redo everything.