Nostalgic, Error-prone and Silly - The NES

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I've been bored lately, as I have been unable to mod or even play CS, so I've gone back to my old standby: NES games on an emulator. I'd use the actual console, but unfortunatly the cable that you use to connect it to your TV got lost in a move, but I've managed to find my top three games to play in ROM format (which is legal, as far as I can tell, because I own the cartridges...). My top three NES games are:

1.) DragonWarrior III - Three reasons I love this game are 1.) the 4 member party. 2.) the Goof-Off (best roffle class ever!) and 3.) the Fighter (best combat class ever!). Additional things I love include the Revealing Swimsuit armor (and if you get REALLY lucky, the Magic Bikini), just for sheer epicness, the puzzles, and the enemies.

2.) Super Mario Bros. 3 - No need to explain. Just classic.

3.) DragonWarrior - While I wasn't a big fan of 2 and 4, I loved DW1. Why? Because it was the first NES game I ever played. No joke. I remeber endless hours of me playing this gem of 8-bit random-encounter RPG-esqu single party member game, doing battle with hoards of Slimes, Drakee and Magiwyvern, and getting cursed 9,001 times a day. And of course the endless grinding at high levels to be able to beat the Dragonlord.

So, if you had to choose your three favorite classic console games, what would they be?

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:11 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Of the games I have for the NES, I would have to say-

3. Faxanadu.

2. Dragon Warrior/Quest I

1. Blaster Master

I'm kind of surprised that Esper Dream 2 was never released over here... If it had, it might've passed Faxanadu on my list, but since I've only seen the preview video in the link, I couldn't give an honest verdict about that decision...

By the way, DragonBoots, what's the lowest level you defeated the Green Dragon that guards the princess in DW1? I managed to defeat it while I was only Level 10 (Yay for sleep magic!) with 6 hit points remaining at the end of the battle. Good thing I had the Wings to return back to the castle, or I would've died in the swamp trying to bring her back. That would've been quite the disappointment, wouldn't it?

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Eh.... Megaman 5 Megaman 2 Megaman 6 Mighty Bomb Jack Megaman 3 Megaman 1 Megaman 4....

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:25 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hmm/..
My answer back when I played on the actual NES would probably be different than it will be today...

Top 3?
Mega Man 2, Crystalis, and ...
Can't decide on the last one. Either Double Dragon 2, Iron Tank, Bionic Commando, Strider, Zelda or Super Mario Bros 3...

Mega Man 2 - This game was just amazing when I first got it wayyyy back then. Loved the music, the style, the Man! Good present...

Crystalis - The last NES game I think I bought. [that or final fantasy], This game is just classic amazing 8-bit action RPG gaming. I love to bring this game up when I think of Cave Story... The stories remind me of each other...

Oh I remembered what the 3rd game would be :
Ninja Gaiden 2 : The Dark Sword of Chaos - Loveeeed that game back then lol Awesome cutscenes, great music, still love this game even after all this time.
I haven't played the new Ninja Gaiden games yet... but I doubt they'll impress me like this game did back then...

Those 3 games are the core NES games that I am privledged to have played :D