No Post Count

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm sure everyone's noticed this. Posts no longer go towards your post count in the Doukutsu Monogatari Discussion Forum, and I've asked around a bit but no one seems to know why. It's been going on for a while now, so I don't think it's a technical problem. Why would SkyWelse (I'm assuming it's his doing) disable post counting there? Is it because he thinks people are just posting whatever pops into their head so they can increase their post count? That's the only explanation I can think of.
I really just want someone to explain why this is happening, because it's been bugging me. I'm that kind of person; sometimes I think I might have OCD. Totally unrelated fact!
And, is counting the number of posts someone has really that important anyway?

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
And, is counting the number of posts someone has really that important anyway?
Then why did you make this drama thread?
It's fine as it is.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:19 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Nothing wrong with asking why it happened. It's even more confusing because the old posts still count. Even then, why would post counting in the Cave Story part of the Cave Story Tribute Site be disabled?

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:26 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I would bet that it's to be like that.
Just.. Unforeseen Consequences.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wait, so if posts in the Cave Story forums don't count, then what posts do count?? If you ask me it's really stupid to count some posts and not others. Either count all posts or remove the post count feature altogether.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM
If we're not going to continue counting posts we might as well get rid of that number, seeing as it will become arbitrary. And I think some people really are jut posting so they can make that number bigger, which degrades the quality of the forums.
Shut up, more like you're a hypocrite.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Why would SkyWelse (I'm assuming it's his doing) disable post counting there? Is it because he thinks people are just posting whatever pops into their head so they can increase their post count? That's the only explanation I can think of?
I didn't change anything having to do with the post count in the Cave Story Discussion Forum. If it worked before and now it doesn't, I really have no idea what could be going on with that.

Are you sure you aren't referring to posts that you made in topics or threads that may have been moved to the S.P.O.T. forum, because posts there absolutely do not count.

-Thomas

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM
SkyeWelse said:
I didn't change anything having to do with the post count in the Cave Story Discussion Forum. If it worked before and now it doesn't, I really have no idea what could be going on with that.

Are you sure you aren't referring to posts that you made in topics or threads that may have been moved to the S.P.O.T. forum, because posts there absolutely do not count.

-Thomas
Sorry, I just assumed it was intentional because it's such an odd thing to stop working. And I'm sure it's all the threads in the discussion forum, although I never post in the Modding/Hacking forum so I don't know about that one.

While we're here, how come posts in the Gamer's Lounge never counted towards your post count? I mean, this entire forum is about video games. It's relevant.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:38 AM
Sorry for double-posting, people, but I need to bump the thread. The Theories section of the Doukutsu Monogatari forums isn't counting posts now. If this is a glitch then it is very odd behavior indeed.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
Nothing wrong with asking why it happened. It's even more confusing because the old posts still count.
Postcounts are worked out by starting each new member with a postcount of 0, incrementing it after you make a new post or move a post from a postcount disabled section to where postcounts are enabled, decrementing it for deleted posts, for moving posts from enabled postcount to disabled postcount, merging posts, etc.

The postcount is never calculated directly from the posts you have, it is just a number stored amongst your account details. Hell, your postcount could be 113214 while you only have 340 post to your name (if an admin altered your postcount that is to say).

Basically your posts and postcount are almost entirely independent of each other.

There is a tool to recalculate postcounts in admincp though.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Ok really what is going on now?
A moment ago I'm pretty sure I got a message that said the forums were down for a server transfer with a message dating back to 2008.
Posts in hacking don't count.
other stuff maybe
help?

This post was much more poetic before but the server message killed it so I'm not going to try and recreate that

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:44 PM
I got that message too. An explanation would be nice. I'm not pissed off ("OMG RAAAAAEG MAH FRUMZ R DED! I KILL U MS"), but it was weird.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM
/end
I don't know, but just because I have to do this each and every time something I've already listed all the things I've changed on this forum which hasn't changed, except adding albums back and adding game birthdays.

Also, posts counting in Hacking/Modding was turned off for some reason. I don't know why or who did it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I have no idea what happened, I'll ask SP to turn them back on ASAP

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Hoxtilicious
Great, I lost "some" posts -_-
I'll see what I can do.

Sorry, you don't have permission to access the administrative controls on this page.

If you need to access this page, ask your lead administrator to enable your permissions for this page using the Administrator Permissions section of the control panel.

I have no permissions to set the postcounts to their "real" values, because I have no permission to do that.
I have no control over permissions, so either SkyeWelse has to enable it for me, or you guys have to contact SkyeWelse.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Grumpy *****istrator
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I however do have the capacity to deal with it; and will now slink back into obscurity to avoid the outcry of those whose post count was revised downwards.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:16 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Too much post count

Aww, I missed my Nu speech? T.T;
Did posts in the Satellite lounge start counting or something, because now everyone's gained a huge increase in posts.
I completely skipped Cloud :(

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
And I'm about 600 over where I should be if the Sattelite Lounge doesn't count. :/

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM
graters gonna grate
Yeah, I think it makes a lot more sense to just count everything, including Satellite Lounge and such.