Ninjakutsu - The ninja mod

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:07 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
diph.php

Hi. This is my first mod for cave story, it's mostly an assembly hack.

This mod gives you the level 2 sword and booster 2.0 at the near start of the game, and from then on you need to be a ninja to survive (at least in the later part of the game, the beginning is easy). All damage is 50% of your max health and max health is fixed to 2 (you can in other words only be hit once)

features:

* starting health & max health is 2
* life capsules ineffective
* all damage received is 1
* does not display damage received

* start with sword level 2 (in the polar star chest)
* start with booster 2.0 (in the polar star chest)
* cannot gain new weapons
* cannot trade sword
* weapon energy and level is fixed
* longer range on sword

* instant text display (may glitch a little, but hey)
* no-music executable included (if you want to listen to your own)

Download: Ninjakutsu beta 3

edit
Beta 3 is out, I've fixed some bugs and done some things differently.
The new stuff is:
* instant text display (it may glitch a little with scrolling text, the game wasn't meant to display instant and scrolling text at the same time)
* An extra no-music executable for those who want to listen to their own music while playing.
* I changed it so you can't pick up weapon energy instead of making it do nothing.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:21 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well I think it's just a normal hack o.o
You edited mostly hardcode it seems and no real assembly code :(

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Well I think it's just a normal hack o.o
define "normal hack" versus other types

S. P. Gardebiter said:
You edited mostly hardcode it seems and no real assembly code :D
I did some assembling to change the damage received and damage displayed and also the whole no-level-up/down, no-energy stuff; I edited actual code, not only data.
And after all that, machine instructions is just bytes, how can you see the difference?

Also, thanks for starting a reply that has nothing to do with the gameplay, why don't you try it first and tell me what you think, eh? :(

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:23 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Flying around with a jetpack doesn't really sound like something a ninja with a sword would do. :(

The hermit gunsmith map is the only one you edited? Anyways, *ninja snore*" was hilarious :D

Also, I think a normal 3hp run is more challenging than this mod, mainly because everything deals only 1 damage.

Maybe make health powerups dropped by enemies not give health to prevent "spam-your-blade-then-heal-up" with bosses like Core?

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:35 AM
There's a significant glitch caused by having the Booster 2.0 from the beginning of the game. It's possible to simply jump over Chaco's house without going inside. This isn't a problem in itself, but if you do so, and turn the power to the fans back on, you need the Jellyfish Juice to create a bomb, but talking to Chaco won't make the jellyfish appear anymore. Along the same lines, if you don't go back to Santa before turning on the fans, you won't be able to (not) get the Fireball, which also makes it so Chaco won't make the jellyfish appear, because she thinks you still haven't helped Santa.

That's as far as I am so far. I'll report any other problems as I find them, but I doubt there'll be anything else.

Also, I find it kinda funny how even the deathtrap spikes only deal 1 damage. Maybe you should've left things that're always supposed to instantly kill you alone. =P

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:58 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Err... doesn't look too great for me but good job for a begginer! :( (no offence seriously)

edit - I was a nub when I posted this! xD

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:14 AM
turska said:
Flying around with a jetpack doesn't really sound like something a ninja with a sword would do. :rolleyes:
why not? I would ;)

The hermit gunsmith map is the only one you edited? Anyways, *ninja snore*" was hilarious :D
yes, no need to edit more, besides, I didn't use sue's workshop or anything so I had to limit my space.

Also, I think a normal 3hp run is more challenging than this mod
probably, but this isn't supposed to be the hardest mod ever.
, mainly because everything deals only 1 damage.
and that's half your health

Maybe make health powerups dropped by enemies not give health to prevent "spam-your-blade-then-heal-up" with bosses like Core?
Again, it's to not make things too hard.

True Hitoare said:
There's a significant glitch caused by having the Booster 2.0 from the beginning of the game. It's possible to simply jump over Chaco's house without going inside. This isn't a problem in itself, but if you do so, and turn the power to the fans back on, you need the Jellyfish Juice to create a bomb, but talking to Chaco won't make the jellyfish appear anymore.
You need to "talk" to chaco's fire place :)

Along the same lines, if you don't go back to Santa before turning on the fans, you won't be able to (not) get the Fireball, which also makes it so Chaco won't make the jellyfish appear, because she thinks you still haven't helped Santa.
You DIDN'T help poor santa? no presents for you!

That's as far as I am so far. I'll report any other problems as I find them, but I doubt there'll be anything else.
well, the problems I've already fixed are the "all weapons dropped to level 1" thing and trading for the nemesis :)

Also, I find it kinda funny how even the deathtrap spikes only deal 1 damage. Maybe you should've left things that're always supposed to instantly kill you alone. =P
the deathtraps deal 100 or 127 damage, and I've changed the damage calculation in a place that changes all damage, so they'
re included.
Also, I think it can make gameplay interesting :)

Metalogz said:
Err... doesn't look too great for me but good job for a begginer! (no offence seriously)
does it need to be advanced for you to like it?

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:19 AM
Luls
cookie said:
does it need to be advanced for you to like it?

Well, I guess so because what I look for in a mod are NEW WEAPONS! (:() and... NEW MAPS! (:D) and... NEW MONSTERS! (:p) and... eh... NEW BOSSES! (:p)

Well you could edit some monsters' images

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Metalogz said:
Well, I guess so because what I look for in a mod are NEW WEAPONS! (:D) and... NEW MAPS! (:D) and... NEW MONSTERS! (:D) and... eh... NEW BOSSES! (:D)

Well you could edit some monsters' images
no, I won't.. I don't think you understand the point of this mod.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:23 AM
Luls
cookie said:
no, I won't.. I don't think you understand the point of this mod.

Yeah I know the point of the mod. The challenge o.o

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:33 AM
Metalogz said:
Yeah I know the point of the mod. The challenge o.o

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct :)
And the fun of it, of course.

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:33 PM
Luls
._.

It doesn't suit me :(

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Hoxtilicious
cookie said:
define "normal hack" versus other types

Pseudo hack - Just editing maps, scripts and so on, everything done without even changing one piece of hardcode :D
"Normal" hack - Just hardcode hacks. And basic stuff.
Assembly hack - Real "assembly" hacks which change machine code instructions for example, made with assembly primer, assembler/disassembler or other tools.

cookie said:
And after all that, machine instructions is just bytes, how can you see the difference?

I know. One is hardcode the other one is assembly :p
Changing instructions like change a "mov" to a "push" instruction aren't done with a hex editor, thats what I call assembly hacking.

cookie said:
Also, thanks for starting a reply that has nothing to do with the gameplay, why don't you try it first and tell me what you think, eh?

The technical things are actually much more important to me than just the gameplay :p
And keep your sarcasm it was 3 AM and I wanted to go to bed, so I had no time... <.< :/
I don't have to make a reply about the gameplay though :p

Metalogz said:
Well, I guess so because what I look for in a mod are NEW WEAPONS! and... NEW MAPS! and... NEW MONSTERS! and... eh... NEW BOSSES!

New weapons, maps, monsters and bosses...

Image editing; this is what ALL people can do.
Hardcode hacking; this too!
Assembly hacking; this is NOT a thing beginner do.

See. New weapons, maps, monsters and bosses are basicly lame. :o

This is a advanced hack and no beginner work :(

So well, I will play it. :p

Edit: Well, its a nice little hack you made :3 b.t.w. Any chance you share offsets? XD
It's actually a bit boring (I guess this is because I played Cave Story atleast 20 times from the start to the end), it would be cool if you could delete the cutscenes :/
I loughed at Basil doing 1 damage XP You seemed to change the spike damage too, that's actually pretty cool o.o

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
advanced lol, might try later on because if its almost the same thing i will be bored as im currently playing a 3hp run of cs

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM
Hoxtilicious
xristosx said:
advanced lol

It is :p
Nearly everything which changes assembly is advanced.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Pseudo hack - Just editing maps, scripts and so on, everything done without even changing one piece of hardcode :p
"Normal" hack - Just hardcode hacks. And basic stuff.
Assembly hack - Real "assembly" hacks which change machine code instructions for example, made with assembly primer, assembler/disassembler or other tools.
ok, but what is "assembly primer"?

I know. One is hardcode the other one is assembly :p
Changing instructions like change a "mov" to a "push" instruction aren't done with a hex editor, thats what I call assembly hacking.
Oh really? ;)

The technical things are actually much more important to me than just the gameplay :p
And keep your sarcasm it was 3 AM and I wanted to go to bed, so I had no time... <.< :/
I don't have to make a reply about the gameplay though :p
you are forgiven :p

This is a advanced hack and no beginner work ;)
did you just change your mind? :)

Edit: Well, its a nice little hack you made :3 b.t.w. Any chance you share offsets? XD
It's actually a bit boring (I guess this is because I played Cave Story atleast 20 times from the start to the end), it would be cool if you could delete the cutscenes :/
I understand, deleting cutscenes (probably not so smart because cutscenes give you items, etc.) or making the text render faster is in my notes.txt, but it's not that easy to find.

I loughed at Basil doing 1 damage XP You seemed to change the spike damage too, that's actually pretty cool o.o
hey, thanks :)

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
cookie said:
ok, but what is "assembly primer"?

Oh really? :p

Well, actually I meant: You usally don't change it with a hex editor :p
The program of your screenie looks a bit like a primer. Seems like a nice one, DOS? How is it's name? :p
Actually its a program where you enter a specific offset and a filename and some assembly then it patches the file you select. As far as I know.

I was talking about changing the machine code (like instructions and so on) and not only change hardcode/values.

cookie said:
did you just change your mind? :D

You just told me what you changed, so... :p

cookie said:
I understand, deleting cutscenes (probably not so smart because cutscenes give you items, etc.) or making the text render faster is in my notes.txt, but it's not that easy to find.

I was just talking about deleting the cutscenes manually with Sue's Workshop :p (Like King talking to Toroko)

Notes.txt? o.o'

cookie said:
hey, thanks :)

No problem :p

You might saw the FTP, lots of hacking information is there, I was collecting peoples posts from the forum and written much FAQ's by myself. (The members helped to collect some of the information of course :D) Also I uploaded FAQ's from other peoples.

http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/FAQ/

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:08 PM
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Well, actually I meant: You usally don't change it with a hex editor :p
The program of your screenie looks a bit like a primer. Seems like a nice one, DOS? How is it's name? :p
for windows and unix, text mode, the name is ht editor (google it)

Actually its a program where you enter a specific offset and a filename and some assembly then it patches the file you select. As far as I know.
ah, ok , that isn't much different to what I did to this.

I was talking about changing the machine code (like instructions and so on) and not only change hardcode/values.
I am changing the instructions, with a hex editor, look at the red numbers, they're changed from the previous version (vanilla Doukutsu.exe). By the way, you're seeing the "subtract health" code.

Assembly instructions is just bytes, I can edit the instructions of the program by many ways, like using an external program (assembly primer?), or just using a hex editor like most do. The reason I use a hex editor is that most debuggers won't (?) allow you to edit the executable and my editor (ht) shows me the x86 assembly live if I want to.

I was just talking about deleting the cutscenes manually with Sue's Workshop :p (Like King talking to Toroko)
oh, ok, but I want to avoid editing the TSC when I can :)

Notes.txt? o.o'
In the rar, it's my log.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:12 PM
Hoxtilicious
cookie said:
Assembly instructions is just bytes, I can edit the instructions of the program by many ways, like using an external program (assembly primer?), or just using a hex editor like most do. The reason I use a hex editor is that most debuggers won't (?) allow you to edit the executable and my editor (ht) shows me the x86 assembly live if I want to.

I know, you don't have to explain me. :p I know the basics about hacking and assembly, I'm just too dumb it seems to change the code so it's working :x

b.t.w.

HT Editor rocks :D

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM
S. P. Gardebiter said:
I'm just too dumb it seems to change the code so it's working :x
Hehe. That reminds me of an early version of this hack, I did ONE mistake and ended up with an executable that warps you to seemingly random places when you exit doors (first room door -> sand zone) and gives you the missile launcher when you try to save. Oh, and I also made a version that plays all music very fast when I tried to disable it for some other guy here on the forum.