New Story [DEMO]

May 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
NOTICE: NOT BEING WORKED ON ANYMORE.
I need to learn how to write a story...
This is a demo of my upcoming mod, which will be my first mod with an actual plot!
Thanks to @Miccs for testing previous demos. These demos are available, if you do some searching on the Discord server.
p358482-0-igdi9oj.png

p358482-1-t4ovojr.png

p358482-2-wnokmcd.png
Downloads:
Downloads are available here, in the "New Story" folder.
DEMO 1.1:
  • Fixed some tiling issues.
  • Fixed some grammar/spelling issues.
  • Plasmaball is now taken by Hermit Gunsmith before getting the Polar Spark.
  • Fixed Sandaime's name being misspelled as "Sandamie" on Kanpachi & Sandaime's house sign.
  • Fixed blank tiles in Sue's House.
DEMO 1:
  • First demo (on the forums).

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 6:28 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
p358483-0-vtqkcrb.png

BAD TILING DETECTED
>BEEP BOOP
You gonna act like that for an error even Pixel made?
It's not even that bad.

May 6, 2017 at 6:40 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Pixel didn't do this.
p358485-0-jbeipe5.png

And his tiling didn't look make the maps look like they were made of individual tiles, which is enough to make up for that.
It's still a bit of a nitpick, especially with a reaction that makes it look like it's a big deal.

May 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Oh cod the treasure chests are ugly

May 6, 2017 at 7:53 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
May 6, 2017 at 8:05 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Couple of things

- Noticed a few grammar/spelling mistakes here and there (a couple of don'ts without the ')
- The second part of first cave felt a bit square and block
- The fireball felt way too powerful for First Cave. Honestly, it might be a good idea to either nerf the fireball or not give the fireball in the first place.

Overall, I enjoyed this mod so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what Egg Corridor looks like.

May 6, 2017 at 8:07 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
If you ignore the ugly chests and tiles the mod is pretty good. Keep it up.

May 7, 2017 at 6:59 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
A slight text error. The Gunsmith says the gun is in the third chest from the left, but it's in the third chest from the RIGHT.

May 7, 2017 at 7:30 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This mod definitely shows promise, I'm glad I played it. I like the idea of taking a request from the gunsmith rather than flat out stealing his gun albeit the Plasmaball is overpowered. I feel you should trade the Plasmaball for the Polarspark and create a trade ring throughout the game to get all sorts of various items, weapons, etc....Or possibly have temporary trades like giving the Plasmaball for a small period of time and then getting it back after completing a task, similar to the final fetch quest in the Plantation in the real game where Momorin temporarily takes your booster and only returns it after completing the quest (despite the fact you can just ignore her and get the Mimiga ending). I want you to pursue this project further, I'd love to see more of it. And other than the issues previously stated by the other commentators here, I like the new colours you gave the chest, gives some individuality and separates it from the original game. Lots of things follow this trend and it's something I hope to see more of, keep it up!

May 7, 2017 at 12:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
A slight text error. The Gunsmith says the gun is in the third chest from the left, but it's in the third chest from the RIGHT.
Left and right in my country are for some reason flipped compared to everywhere else (excluding maybe England, since schools here teach British English). I'll fix this.
- The fireball felt way too powerful for First Cave. Honestly, it might be a good idea to either nerf the fireball or not give the fireball in the first place.
(snip) the Plasmaball is overpowered.
I made levels 1 and 2 a bit weaker (1 hit instead of 2), but I powered up level 3 by increasing the damage from 3 to 4. I'll probably try lowering the damage a bit more, but if that doesn't work...
I feel you should trade the Plasmaball for the Polarspark and create a trade ring throughout the game to get all sorts of various items, weapons, etc....Or possibly have temporary trades like giving the Plasmaball for a small period of time and then getting it back after completing a task, similar to the final fetch quest in the Plantation in the real game where Momorin temporarily takes your booster and only returns it after completing the quest (despite the fact you can just ignore her and get the Mimiga ending).
This seems like a pretty good substitute.
Overall, I enjoyed this mod so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what Egg Corridor looks like.
If you ignore the ugly chests and tiles the mod is pretty good. Keep it up.
I want you to pursue this project further, I'd love to see more of it. (snip) Lots of things follow this trend and it's something I hope to see more of, keep it up!
Thank you all for your words of encouragement!

May 7, 2017 at 1:18 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
A new demo (kinda) is out!
Demo 1.1, a simple update, more like a hotfix.
A new demo with actual new content (like Egg Corridor) is Coming Soon™!

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 6:36 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
I REALLY like the idea of "quest giving" being added into Cave Story for extra items, if you continue with that theme I would REALLY enjoy this mod. I liked what I played so far despite the fact that my crappy version of Zorin Linux makes all the ORG drums and sound effects sound like trash. Keep up the good work, and contact me if you need le music.

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:01 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Apr 1, 2018 at 4:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This thing may be coming back from the dead soon...
In other news, can anyone make me some facepics for the Gunsmith?

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:43 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Would love to see this mod getting completed (but I hope it's not a prank cause you posted that on April 1st :/)

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Would love to see this mod getting completed (but I hope it's not a prank cause you posted that on April 1st :/)
Currently on the backburner (plus I lost the original files :(), got bigger projects I'm working on.