New modes in the 3DS Cave Story+ release?

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
A good port is a polished, bug-free port with updates that actually get released, rather than another port pulled out of someone's ass. And maybe if they made the CS Wii sprites less cartoony, and the CS3D models waaaaay less cartoony, less twelve-year-olds would have gone and bought it.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
A good port is a polished, bug-free port with updates that actually get released, rather than another port pulled out of someone's ass. And maybe if they made the CS Wii sprites less cartoony, and the CS3D models waaaaay less cartoony, less twelve-year-olds would have gone and bought it.
I guess I can't really speak for the first bit since the eShop version is my first experience with the game. That said, it plays fine to me (at least with the Curly fix update).

As for the second part, I hate to break it to you, but 12-year-olds play CoD, so "cartoony sprites" likely has very little to do with little kids buying it.

Anyway, if being displeased with little kids for playing "your" game is the biggest problem you have, then you should consider yourself lucky. :mrgreen:

Edit: Your age says you're 13. Are you seriously nitpicking about kids one year younger than you? :p

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
He is referring to the influx of illiterate 12-15 year olds that have joined the forums since the CS Wii release. He doesn't have an issue with kids playing it, he, along with many others here, have issues with the kids coming here and being annoying.

Also Dunc is an exception, since he's a cool cat.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM
He is referring to the influx of illiterate 12-15 year olds that have joined the forums since the CS Wii release. He doesn't have an issue with kids playing it, he, along with many others here, have issues with the kids coming here and being annoying.

Also Dunc is an exception, since he's a cool cat.
Hm. I think I can understand that. :)

That said, I don't really think it's fair to blame Nicalis' ports for that. It's just an unfortunate circumstance as a result of the game getting more mainstream. But that's just my opinion.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:40 AM
You realize that Nicalis' ports are what made the game more mainstream, right?
Yes, but you can't blame them for an unfortunate circumstance that occurs by default as a result of going mainstream. It would've happened regardless of who made those ports, so you just can't blame them for immature kids getting into the game. It's as simple as that.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Since when is a port considered a someone and not a something? And also yes, there must be blame. I played Cave Story before all of them, and I'm not like them. It may be something else, but hey, coincidences are rare.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Since when is a port considered a someone and not a something? And also yes, there must be blame. I played Cave Story before all of them, and I'm not like them. It may be something else, but hey, coincidences are rare.
It's SOMETHING, you're right. Even better. What's the point of putting blame on a thing? It can't feel bad, it can't fix what's wrong. There's just no point.

Life is a WHOLE lot easier on everyone when you realize that sometimes, bad things just happen and no one in particular is at fault. But I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree at this point.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Nicalis made a port that was clearly buggy upon initial release. Clearly Nicalis is to blame for making the port/releasing the port, so we can blame Nicalis for the port being buggy as well. It's not like the port just spawned itself into existence.

Also yeah I guess we can't really blame Nicalis for bring more 12 year olds to the site, since like it or not, Cave Story is more or less a kid's game (or at the very least suitable for children).

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM
Nicalis made a port that was clearly buggy upon initial release. Clearly Nicalis is to blame for making the port/releasing the port, so we can blame Nicalis for the port being buggy as well. It's not like the port just spawned itself into existence.

Also yeah I guess we can't really blame Nicalis for bring more 12 year olds to the site, since like it or not, Cave Story is more or less a kid's game (or at the very least suitable for children).
Precisely. Whether the ports are buggy or not has no bearing on whether 12 year olds are brought to the forum. That's all I'm saying.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:02 AM
like it or not, Cave Story is more or less a kid's game
True, but it's not like that's a bad thing. Just look at the Legend of Zelda series, it was mostly aimed towards being a kid's game, and is still a HUGELY successful and popular game franchise. And besides, kid's games are usually the ones with most creativity!

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:54 AM
True, but it's not like that's a bad thing. Just look at the Legend of Zelda series, it was mostly aimed towards being a kid's game, and is still a HUGELY successful and popular game franchise. And besides, kid's games are usually the ones with most creativity!
Interestingly enough, that seems to apply to books as well. They often say that authors of childrens' books are the best writers, and it shows in their content. Dr. Seuss is considered a genius for example, and his books are among the craziest thing out there.