NES Hacking

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:09 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Any of you around here do NES hacking? I've been starting on it somewhat, lately. 6502 assembly isn't too hard, and the tile editing's pretty easy with something like Tile Molester. I've been writing a script that inserts music into Kid Icarus if you write it in a text file in a format like A#5 4 (a# number 5 for 4 frames) .. so on. I'd like to eventually change the arrow into a bommerang that moves around depending on your d-pad input. Making it come back to you's probably the hard part here.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
the rules sayeth:

illegal Content:

No illegal material, be it pertaining to Cave Story or otherwise. This includes ROMs, illegal downloading of music, hacking the WiiWare Cave Story port (CS+ porting excepted), etc.
Sorry...

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
there's nothing illegal about romhacks. Distributing games themselves is murky water but patches and homebrew NES games are entirely fine.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Sadly, I don't know how to romhack, but I do love playing them! I mostly have SNES, GB and GBA romhacks, but I do have two for the NES: an interesting hack for Super Mario Bros. called XXXX and a patch that fixes almost every single one of Final Fantasy's many, many bugs, and improves stuff to boot. I have lots of love for the people who put so much effort into this stuff. :3

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM
War criminal
I remember back in 2008, I was modding a Super Mario World rom. I really have no idea how I was able to forget how to do all that now.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The rules pertain to distribution of rom hacks as roms rather than patches or related discussion. I suppose I could make that a little clearer.

Anyhow my experience with romhacking is mostly gameboy-related. I have a Gameboy Z80 to opcode lookup table I use to manually insert ASM directly as machine code via a hex editor. Though I haven't done it for so long now.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Something tells me that moding's some hard shit to do with NES games these days huh.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM
I know some on GB, GBC, and GBA, I've never done NES, but i considered it, like modding Chrono Trigger, that'd be cool, although ct hacks usual get cease and desist letters....

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
thomasco2013 said:
I've never done NES, but i considered it, like modding Chrono Trigger, that'd be cool, although ct hacks usual get cease and desist letters....
That's the SNES, not the NES. -_-

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:01 AM
Sorry,got it confused, either way, i considered modding ct for snes and if i could id do a nes game mod.