Need help with Making Maps...

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:58 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Howdy, I'm trying to make a survival map, where the player has to survive in a maze for the longest time possible, but I'm having major problems.

I'm using Sue's Workshop.

1.) I can't get the Player to start in an empty map, when I change his star position I get a blue screen at the begining. (FIXED)

2.) How do I change the begining HP & Missile Value? I want to change HP to something like 300, and the Missile's to 100.(SEMI-FIXED [need to do missiles)

3.) How do I change it so that the Player begins with the Blade, Machine Gun and Rocket Launcher(FIXED)

4.) How to I set enemy spawn areas? The Survival Area is just one huge map, so I'll need Enemies to continualy respawn.

5.) Can I edit the enemies stats? Like give them more HP, do more damage, etc.

6.)How do I initiate the timer?

7.) Hw do I change the background music? To say, LastBattle3?(FIXED)

8.) How do I upload a custom Tile Set?
I'd love some help on this, the code language really confuses me, :(.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:45 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
2.) How do I change the begining HP & Missile Value? I want to change HP to something like 300, and the Missile's to 100.(SEMI-FIXED [need to do missiles)

<AM+0005:0100 for normal missiles, <AM+0010:0100 for super missiles. You since you made the player start with the Missile Launcher, you can just edit the code you used for that to make it start you with 100 missiles.

4.) How to I set enemy spawn areas? The Survival Area is just one huge map, so I'll need Enemies to continualy respawn.

Unfortunately, the only enemies that respawn are Red Bats (from last cave), IIRC. There might be more, but I can't remember any right now. The entity for them Red Bat Generator is 243.

5.) Can I edit the enemies stats? Like give them more HP, do more damage, etc.

The npc.tbl file in data contains enemy stats, and can be edited with a hex editor. Good luck figuring out which value corresponds to what enemy though, because there doesn't seem to be any logical order I can find. All I know is the the HP value for Balrog 1 in the shack is at 35A, but I haven't found anything else yet specific. Also, keep a backup because heavy editing can cause some major glitches if it's done wrong.

6.)How do I initiate the timer?

<EQ+0256

8.) How do I upload a custom Tile Set?

Make the tileset and save it in the Stage folder (which is in data) as PrtTileset.pbm. The "Tileset" part can be anything, but you need the Prt for it to be recognized as a tileset by Sue's Workshop and you must save it with a .pbm extension because all the other graphic files are like that. After making and saving the tileset, open Sue's Workshop and go to the tileset editor, then find your tileset on the list and click it. It should appear in the editor, and SW will automatically make it useable in-game once you do this.

Bookmark http://lotlot.net/misc/doukutsu/tsc.txt if you haven't already. Very helpful.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:47 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Unfortunately, the only enemies that respawn are Red Bats (from last cave), IIRC. There might be more, but I can't remember any right now. The entity for them Red Bat Generator is 243.

Actually, i think the green bat things from Ballos' second form respawn, and so do the flying angel-like guys.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:36 PM
genius314 said:
Actually, i think the green bat things from Ballos' second form respawn, and so do the flying angel-like guys.

What code should I put in to summon thoose Angel Enemies? They're the ones I was looking for on that Code Guide, but that has no enemies <_<.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:23 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
genius314 said:

The angel guys don't respawn, there are triggers every so often in those rooms that make more of them fly in. But it's a fixed amount.

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:13 PM
Just wondering but;

Can I change and/or add more graphics for the enemies and/or player character?

Can I change NPC's Scripts? Like send them walking to different places, say different stuff, or add new ones?

Can I import Oggs?

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:24 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Neonlare said:
Just wondering but;

Can I change and/or add more graphics for the enemies and/or player character?
Change, yes, add, no. Be careful when changing because you'll need a hex editor to keep the cave story headers intact.

Neonlare said:
Can I change NPC's Scripts? Like send them walking to different places, say different stuff, or add new ones?
Yes!
Using sue's workshop, click the little button that says 'hey' to edit the scripts for NPCs on that map.
there's a partial command reference available here: http://lotlot.net/misc/doukutsu/tsc.txt

Neonlare said:
Can I import Oggs?
No. There is currently no program available to import music into Cave Story, and if/when someone makes one, at best it will be able to import .mid and tracker files (.xm, .mod, .gdm, .s3m, .it, etc...)
The ability to use .ogg files would requires some extensive reprogramming of cave story, and since the source is not available for the community to work with, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:24 PM
Thanks for the help, but I'm getting more problems;

When I try to make a statue (stuff like the ones in the Passage Room) The Message it is supposed to display doesn't come up, but the blipping sound does, and then it adds the +197 HP to the max (This must be related to the code I have, <ML+197)

I'd also like a few quick cut and paste code snips to summon an enemy. :(.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think, you can import OGGS!!
Replace the current Orgs (with Hex) in the Cave Story exe..
i think header is ORG-02

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:09 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
.ogg and .org are 2 completely different file formats.

As for the <ML+ thing, you need 4 digits. <ML+0197 should work.

The green bats I forgot about, and they are also summoned by generators. Look in the Seal Chamber on the side walls for the entity. As for the Butes, I think the red ones in the Ballos battle are summoned by Ballos himself rather than an entity, because I recall being unable to find the entity that generates them when working on updating Miza's list.

EDIT: Also:
Change, yes, add, no. Be careful when changing because you'll need a hex editor to keep the cave story headers intact.
If you don't have a hex editor, or don't know how to use one, you can rename the file to trick SW into thinking it's a tileset, then have SW fix it up for you. I posted a better description in SeriousFace's "Wanna play my edited game?" topic, I believe.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:36 AM
Guys, problems, I can't seem to place down ANY Enemies, maybe it's a code or something, but nothing happens, As I asked, I'll need some kind of directions, for that aswell as the Signs.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:20 PM
[BUMP]

I've fixed the Problem, and now I wanna edit the Monster Icons, but, even though I've used a Hex Editor to change the file format to .PBM, it still won't load :(.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:09 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hex editor? Just save it as .pbm.
You also have to add "(c)pixel" or something similar at the end of each *.pbm file.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:53 PM
Thanks, now last things:

1.) How do I make a Door that will warp to another stage (when I push down), or a Sign which you can read?

2.) Where do I import the Orgs. how?

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:51 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Suprised no one helped you out yet... I'll help you but don't expect me to use correct terminology.

Making doors.

Step 1. Add entity. Click the treasure chest for edit entity mode. Click the red plus then click where you want you'r door.

Step 2. Editing the entity. The at this point the entity should be highlighted, if it's not cilck the green plus and click the entity. Go to the top left of the window where you have the following. Event (0) Sprite (0) Flags (0000) Flag id (0). The event number corresponds to the script that the door will run, we'll deal with that in the next step. Change the sprite number to 18, this will make it look like a door. Changeing the flags to 2000 has to be done by clicking "edit flags" then checking the first mark that says "Call >event< on action". This means the event will happen when the player presses down on it, like a door. Keep flag id zero.

Step 3: Edit the script. Click the talk bubble that says "new" inside it, this lets you edit the script. This is where you edit what happens when the door is used. Note that everything in the script starts with #XXXX where the X's are all numbers. So add a new #XXXX just making sure its in numeric order. You can't have #0400 being before #0100. Also make sure there are 4 digits, #100 dosn't work, #0100 does. This will be the same number you put in the event (0) slot back in entity edit mode, you don't need 4 digits for that. After that comes the meat of what the event does. It'll look like this.

<PRI<SOU0011<DNP0100<FAO0004<TRA0012:0094:0002:0012

I don't know if you need the enter after the event number (#0100), but its there everywhere already, so might as well stick with it. I think <PRI makes it so you can't move anymore, so, its kinda important. Most events start with that or <KEY, either one seems to work for doors. SOU0011 is the door opening sound. <DNP0100 is what makes the door actually open, the number after <DNP has to be the same as the event number all 4 digits or it dosn't work... In fact thats a good rule for everything while editing the script, if there is a number, its 4 digits. <FAO000X is the black fade out shwooosh effect that happens when you zone. When the X (of <FAO000X) is 0 that means the screen fades left, 1 = up, 2 = right, 3 = down, and 4 = middle (most actual doors fade out with 4 i think). Moving on... <TRA is the most important command, it tells you 4 important things. The first 0000 is the zone you go to. Check out the left of Sue's workshop, there is a list of all the maps, and they are numbered, this is where you go. The second 0000 after a : is tells the game what script is ran when you get to the next zone. The 3rd and 4th are the X and Y coordinates of where you apear in the zone you are going. At the bottom left of a map window you see what the coords are.

As for you second question I have NO idea.
Hope that helps.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:30 AM
To import orgs, you need Resource Hacker. Look for that on Google. The process is explained in the Miza help file, so download Miza if you haven't already. I'm too lazy to explain how to do it here, and the Miza help file has pictures and stuff so it would probably be more useful.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:32 PM
SeriousFace said:
Suprised no one helped you out yet... I'll help you but don't expect me to use correct terminology.

Making doors.

Step 1. Add entity. Click the treasure chest for edit entity mode. Click the red plus then click where you want you'r door.

Step 2. Editing the entity. The at this point the entity should be highlighted, if it's not cilck the green plus and click the entity. Go to the top left of the window where you have the following. Event (0) Sprite (0) Flags (0000) Flag id (0). The event number corresponds to the script that the door will run, we'll deal with that in the next step. Change the sprite number to 18, this will make it look like a door. Changeing the flags to 2000 has to be done by clicking "edit flags" then checking the first mark that says "Call >event< on action". This means the event will happen when the player presses down on it, like a door. Keep flag id zero.

Step 3: Edit the script. Click the talk bubble that says "new" inside it, this lets you edit the script. This is where you edit what happens when the door is used. Note that everything in the script starts with #XXXX where the X's are all numbers. So add a new #XXXX just making sure its in numeric order. You can't have #0400 being before #0100. Also make sure there are 4 digits, #100 dosn't work, #0100 does. This will be the same number you put in the event (0) slot back in entity edit mode, you don't need 4 digits for that. After that comes the meat of what the event does. It'll look like this.

<PRI<SOU0011<DNP0100<FAO0004<TRA0012:0094:0002:0012

I don't know if you need the enter after the event number (#0100), but its there everywhere already, so might as well stick with it. I think <PRI makes it so you can't move anymore, so, its kinda important. Most events start with that or <KEY, either one seems to work for doors. SOU0011 is the door opening sound. <DNP0100 is what makes the door actually open, the number after <DNP has to be the same as the event number all 4 digits or it dosn't work... In fact thats a good rule for everything while editing the script, if there is a number, its 4 digits. <FAO000X is the black fade out shwooosh effect that happens when you zone. When the X (of <FAO000X) is 0 that means the screen fades left, 1 = up, 2 = right, 3 = down, and 4 = middle (most actual doors fade out with 4 i think). Moving on... <TRA is the most important command, it tells you 4 important things. The first 0000 is the zone you go to. Check out the left of Sue's workshop, there is a list of all the maps, and they are numbered, this is where you go. The second 0000 after a : is tells the game what script is ran when you get to the next zone. The 3rd and 4th are the X and Y coordinates of where you apear in the zone you are going. At the bottom left of a map window you see what the coords are.

As for you second question I have NO idea.
Hope that helps.

Is this for Miza or Sue's Workshop? Since I can't get Miza to run...

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:56 PM
Thanks for the help, but I have one more problem:

I've imported the .Org, but when I play the game it freezes on me, and I can hear this very annoying dull bleep when this happens, the screen turns grey before it crashes, but I can hear my character jump, shoot, etc for this short period of time.

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:51 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nah,, don't meant OGGS, that wasn't right, i mean ORGS!