My Cave Story Sprites

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:17 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Why again does Pixel use renamed bitmaps?

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:22 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
To obfuscate his data and to prevent editing it. But it's a bad method. A lot of games will do stuff like that, for instance, renaming a zip to .xyz. The only real way to protect your data is to either make it built-into your exe, or to create your own format (and sometimes the latter is more advantageous - the game in my sig, I used my own format to store the sprites since it compresses them VERY well.)

And even those methods are not flawless, and could be broken. :p

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks a bunch RuneLancer!

I finally finished Sue's complete animation thanks to your sheet, and I'm probably gonna work on Toroko next.

Sue's Sprite Sheet

If anyone wants to convert it into an animated gif, go for it ^_^

Edit: Sue has another set of sprites with more detail and interaction...

Sue's Sprite Sheet 2

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:41 PM
The Bartender
Unfortunately I'm going to lose internet access for a few weeks shortly, as I'm moving back to my appartment tomorrow (long story.) I'm going to try to get a virgin copy of CS to use your Sue sprite and will upload it somewhere for public use. If anyone has a use for it, then hey, coolness.

Otherwise, meh... it's going to be a curious little thing regardless.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:24 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Could you perhaps make theirs eyes looking to the side while their faces are looking more foreward like they are? That's the impression I got from the game - at most, their faces were more at an angle, staring at the side of the player.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:33 PM
The Bartender
I always felt the faces in CS were weird. Quote looked like his eyes were on the side of his head. But then again he had an unusual perspective.

I should edit the sprites in my hack - I tried to follow that convention and it looks just weird, IMO..

Nice work Felixir! If you have no objections, I'm going to attempt to insert these and Sue into the game and when I get back from my short internetless break, I'll upload the exe somewhere for public use.

Jul 21, 2006 at 9:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
RuneLancer said:
Nice work Felixir! If you have no objections, I'm going to attempt to insert these and Sue into the game and when I get back from my short internetless break, I'll upload the exe somewhere for public use.

Knock yourself out, i'd love to see them in action.

Hmm... i'm not sure how it'll turn out but i'll see if moving the eyes will look better. To me, the characters in CS looked at you as if you were in front of them, because that's how you'll be positioned when you talk to them.

Jul 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM
The Bartender
I've gotten a few done, but I'm on a friend's PC at the moment so I can't quite post it.

Looks ok, but they're really out of place with the other sprites. ;)

Jul 23, 2006 at 11:37 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
RuneLancer said:
I've gotten a few done, but I'm on a friend's PC at the moment so I can't quite post it.

Looks ok, but they're really out of place with the other sprites. ;)

I'm not surprised, considering the difference in size between the other sprites. Once I get around to overhauling all of the main sprites, it should look somewhat normal.

Anyways, I've been in San Antonio for the past three days, so I haven't had the chance to update. I'll see if I can upload some more sprites sheets soon.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:24 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
whats going on with this?

i am really curious at seeing the sprites it seems they are off line.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Felixir doesn't seem to be active anymore. Your best bet of seeing those sprites would be to ask someone who has saved them previously to upload them.