Most creative game you ever played.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:28 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Since we have all these other thread about hard enemies and favorite games, I think we need a thread about creative games! Tell me why the gameis the most creative you ever played and what you rate it as compared to other games.
Ready, Go!

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Penumbra.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:40 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Depending on what you mean by "creative", Minecraft is pretty creative in that you can create things?

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
LBP is creatively designed, let's you create things and requires creativity. One of the most creative games I've ever played in every sense of the word.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Qwexe said:
LBP is creatively designed, let's you create things and requires creativity. One of the most creative games I've ever played in every sense of the word.

Quoted for truth. I think that LBP2 is even more creative.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
The most creative game I've played recently is Limbo.
Most of the puzzles in that game were incredibly creative, as well as the art style itself.
And the numerous ways you could eviscerate a small child, those were pretty creative too.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'd have to say Pikmin 2.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:23 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
cultr1 said:
The most creative game I've played recently is Limbo.
Most of the puzzles in that game were incredibly creative, as well as the art style itself.
And the numerous ways you could eviscerate a small child, those were pretty creative too.

^This on all points.

I can't think of the most creative game I've played, but Limbo is definitely up there.

And other favorites like Yume Nikki and its fangames, and eversion of course.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:42 PM
gawd don't remind me of eversion

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Oh shit, I forgot Psychonauts.
Oh my god I can't recommend that game enough to anyone, it's ridiculously creative and fun, I could spend ages giving it praise, just go watch the Zero Punctuation review, Yahtzee even loved it.
Here's a link, wow I'm such a nice person.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:54 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Are you talking about the creativity of the develepers or the creativity of the people?
If you are talking about the developers/designers, I would have to say Epic Mickey.
The creativity of the people, on the other hand, depends from game to game. You can play Doom II with all the weapons available in a strategic fashion, or you could have a person who would alsways use the double shotgun (aka Super Shotgun). You can have a person who plays Minecraft with all of he items to make something awesome or just dig three blocks deep and hide there for the night. There is just no definite answer.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:21 AM
.-.
Is that a serious question?
Of course it's the creativity of the designers you goob xD
Everyone can be super creative in a sandbox game, but that doesn't make it a creative game, as the title of this thread is asking for.

Minecraft is creative because of the intuitive crafting interface, not because you can place cubes. World of Goo is creative be because of the level design, not because you can build structures based on the joints, we've been playing the Bridge Building Simulator on Windows '95 for ages.

There is no definitive answer, but not for the reason you're asserting.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Terraria.
5 cups Mnecraft
3 tablespoons Castlevania
1 pinch of Final Fantasy
Bake on High with Balrog.
Best served with Slimes
Seriously, it is the most creative game i've ever experienced. Minecraft gets old after a couple worlds. But terraria never dies. Creative and Actionful

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:11 AM
I dunno man, I got sick of Terraria faster than I did of Minecraft.
In retrospect, I'd say the 2D nature of Terraria makes building such massive and impressive buildings much harder in the long run. They don't loom in the distance, they're just kind of tall when you get near them.
I have the highest supported resolution for the game (1920x1200, upping the resolution ups the view distance, btw) and it STILL doesn't make things seem massive.

I like Minecraft's crafting system much better.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:23 AM
we've been playing the Bridge Building Simulator on Windows '95 for ages.
I haven't! Direct me to this game immediately! What have I been missing out on?

And yeah I'd have to agree that Minecraft is the most creative game I've played. There are probably many more creative titles that I have not played.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
I'm digging this newish indie game called Q.U.B.E. it's all about, er, cubes.
Here's a video.

It looks incredibly simple in the video, but I promise it becomes incredibly complex further down the road.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I'm not sure about Q.U.B.E. The concept doesn't seem so innovative to me.

The most creative game I've ever played?
I honestly can't choose one. But there are several that definitely changed my vision of the video (and indie) game world.

Portal. Not for the concept in itself, it's not really new, but more for its exploitation throughout the game. I can't really explain it.

Eversion. Oh my god. Just... oh my god.
Braid. Although the time travel has already been seen... But I'm thinking more of the storyline, the end of the game, the graphics...
Also, Braid almost made me cry when I finished it. It's the first time a game managed to. Braid is incredibly sad.

Inside a Star-Filled Sky ("Inception"? Pch. I can enter inside an enemy inside a power-up inside an enemy inside myself inside a power-up inside a power-up inside myself inside myself inside an enemy inside myself inside an enemy inside a power-up. Talk about recursivity.)
IaSFS has an utterly good concept. You can change things by entering in them, including yourself and power-ups (to improve them) and enemies (to remove their biggest powers). It's sad that it's not well-developed because otherwise it would probably have been the best game I would have ever played. Yes, seriously. It blew my mind.

Every. Fucking. Game. From Edmund McMillen. (Super) Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac, Gish... This man is so frackin awesome.
While Super Meat Boy is a simple platformer, it's filled with awesome ideas, references and things that made me stay unmoved in my chair for almost an hour, thinking about everything this game had taught me in 20 minutes of gameplay. Isaac isn't less excellent. It completely renews the concept of the Rogue games, and does it like a boss.

Sequence. It's a RPG rhythm game. 'Nuff said.

Beat Hazard. A shmup where every level is designed by the music you play. For example, if you play a dubstep (ewwww) music, at the beginning you will battle against some enemies, and when the bass drops you are likely to face an epic boss. It's very, very well done.

LIMBO. Because black and white, little boy, creepy world, OMFG IS THAT A FUCKING GIANT SPIDER OH GOD OH GOD.
Awesome game. Not sooo creative though, but very well-made.

So yeah. I played a lot of very creative games. All of them are inspiring me at some point, and that's why my games are so fucked up now.