Moonsong with Lyrics

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Moonsong has always held a special place in my heart. Inspiring, enchanting, yet elegantly simple, it's a song I can rely on to lift my spirits when I'm depressed. For a long time, I've wanted to capture what it means to me in lyrics; this is the result. I'm not totally happy with the quality of my voice, or the recording, but I hope the power behind the words and the music makes up for it.

(I've also got one for Oppression in the works, but that's a completely different animal, as I'm sure you can imagine...)

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Freako said:
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Moonsong has always held a special place in my heart. Inspiring, enchanting, yet elegantly simple, it's a song I can rely on to lift my spirits when I'm depressed. For a long time, I've wanted to capture what it means to me in lyrics; this is the result. I'm not totally happy with the quality of my voice, or the recording, but I hope the power behind the words and the music makes up for it.

(I've also got one for Oppression in the works, but that's a completely different animal, as I'm sure you can imagine...)

Well, it's.. uhh...

The lyric's aren't that's bad, they really aren't.

The execution however is /really/ poor

when you sang "to that feeling", it made me want to cringe.

"demons" and "feelings" doesn't rhyme as well...

I would say keep trying, but you have a long way to go before you have a decent singing voice, good luck.

I would honestly like to see someone on the forums with a good voice try to sing this sometime, it could make a very nice song.

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:35 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I like this! Can you write the lyrics here? I can't hear your voice cleary.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:37 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Jul 7, 2015 at 4:04 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Nothing lines up 0/10 wouldn't bang.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:07 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I liked it very much. The lyrics nicely expressed the picture that the Outer Wall was trying to paint with the peaceful atmosphere in the midst of the Doctor getting ready to launch his attack on the surface. If I listened to this several times and weren't tired, I might have a few suggestions about the lyrics themselves, but overall they were pretty good, so nothing immediately strikes me as needing to be changed.

Like others have said, your voice isn't the best, and it wasn't always in sync with the music, so I would be able to more fully enjoy it if someone more vocally inclined could do a cover of this. I don't mean to discount the work you've done here, though- I realize that your main intent was simply to show off the fact that you wrote fitting lyrics to this song, so good job on that.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:22 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
As a guy that actually has had experience in music stuff a lot (though not lots with singing), I can say these things:

-The lyrics are like actually good.
-Your singing voice needs more practice and confidence, the pitches are wavering quite a lot. Physically, your voice sounds like it's capable of singing well with enough experience.
-Make sure that you can hear yourself very clearly (Try taking one headphone off and leave the other one on with teh backing). This will help you hit the right notes.
-It's really REALLY low. Like, I don't think anybody's voice is gonna be able to sound good that low, unless the singer was very very skilled at hitting low notes.
-You should try transposing it up a bit. I'm not sure if you modified the original ORG file to remove the melody at the start, but if you did, then you should be able to also transpose the whole thing (I recommend by 2-4 semitones at a guess?) This would make it waaay easier to sing.
-While you're at it, removing the melody line from the org should make your voice able to be heard more clearly. Although, I recommend doing this afterwards so that you can hear your voice while recording.
-Your microphone has latency on it. This means that the recordings you make will appear later than they actually happened. This is what is making you sound out of time. You should see a drastic improvement in the timing if you move your vocal part back on the timeline (or whatever) a little bit so that, looking at the waveforms, it aligns correctly with the backing.
-On a more specific note, 1:15 sounds like you should be singing the word 'desire' with the same notes as the previous melody part suggested.
-Also, the word 'towards' in 'towards a brighter future' at the end could just be changed to 'to', then it'd fit with the melody.

That's like basically everything I can think of. You might be doing some of this stuff already, but I hope at least some of it is helpful.

(I may or may not have a go at this myself sometime...)

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
MrLog said:
-It's really REALLY low. Like, I don't think anybody's voice is gonna be able to sound good that low, unless the singer was very very skilled at hitting low notes.
It's not that low. I can comfortably hit a fourth below the lowest note he sings.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:00 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
duncathan said:
It's not that low. I can comfortably hit a fourth below the lowest note he sings.
Wow, that's like really low though. being able to hit a low C 'comfortably' would be... a little surprising, bearing in mind that the lowest that a bass can sensibly go is an E. Either you have a really low voice, or either of us are on the wrong octave. Anyway, for the purposes of this, his voice sounds like it'd be more comfortable being a bit higher anyway.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:22 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
MrLog said:
Wow, that's like really low though. being able to hit a low C 'comfortably' would be... a little surprising, bearing in mind that the lowest that a bass can sensibly go is an E.
Lowest note they can full voice. Vocal fry goes way lower, man. I agree, he could afford to sing it higher, but the range he sang it in initially is my comfortable range.