mods you'd like to see return

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
well, exactly as it says. are there any dead mods you'd like to see being worked on again?

personally, i'd like to see Schism: shattered timescapes be raised from the grave. i know this will never happen, as its creator is long gone.

what's yours?

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You mean return as in return with it's original developer? Or get revived and headed in the right direction?

Well, the one I'd like to see return is Curly Brace's Story [Working download link]. It was so awful when I realized I was at the end of the demo, and that it was abandoned. It was the first incomplete mod I ever played, and one of the best.

Although, I do have plans of reviving it myself, assuming nobody beats me to it, which I really hope doesn't happen. Me and Duke Serkol have been discussing to death how certain things should be done both in the thread I linked to, and via PM, so I hope that I can manage to do it eventually.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
1. Schism
2. WTF Story (yes GIR, we know you've been working on that options menu for the past 4 months. Hmm....)
3. King: Strife and Sacrifice (what is mod? Why not CSEngine? What is CaveEditor? Why not Booster's Lab? What is TSC to text converter by Celtic Minstrel? Why not Java editor for TSC with comments enabled? What is Cave Story? Why not Allegro game?)
4. The Witching Hour (yes, this is my mod. I am dead and inactive apparently.)
5. The Future
6. Jenka's Nightmare the Original
7. The Untold Story by Uncy Dave, a tale of illegal parking and foxy foxes!

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
In order of most favourite to least favourite:

[1] King: Strife and Sacrifice (Noxid)
[2] The Witching Hour (Carrotlord; how this mod is dead is over my head like sarcasm)
[3] The Lost Mage and Pirate (VoidMage_Lowell)
[4] Schism: Shattered Timescapes (Xaser)
[5] Eternal Chaos (ZTaimat (ZarroTsu?))
[6] The Future - What's left of it (can't remember who made it)
[7] WTF Story (GIRakaCHEEZER)

[offtopic]
Okay, now I'm getting angry at having to click post four times just to make a single lousy post. :mad:
[/offtopic]

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Short answer "almost all of them", but to mention two of the very oldest that I'd like the most I'll go with The Crowned Witch and of course Jenka's Nightmare original (nevar 4get ;-;). I could add more but going through my mod folder made me realise how many of favourite mods haven't been updated since 2009 :<

Edit: Don't you wink at me

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
i still miss shining phantom, his drunkedness was always funny.

(no but seriously before ralren left 4ever he was working on this and i seriously loved the artwork he did for it. it was a little pretentios, but i'd still like to see more of it. and of course i would love to see the original jenka's nightmare completed)
e: oh shit apparently the file is password protected(?) here you go folks: OzMa1100a5678

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
On the matter of Schism, I know for a fact that it was still being worked on a few months or so ago(?). When I get on my computer I'm pretty sure I can find the IRC log from when Xaser came on. Also Jenka's Nightmare. I'm one of the beta testers of CSC2:JNBr:HVBrR and I never cease telling lunarsold that nothing compares to the original. That mod is what brought me to these forums, and I really wish it were finished.

Also The Untold Story by Aar.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I liked Tale of the Broxxus, I would have loved to see that one finished.
I haven't really played many other mods.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Yeah, anything Ralren made, including the one sexpy mentioned. It's a shame they'll never get finished unless hell freezes over

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Not anymore
Oct 31, 2012 at 10:06 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
i have considered multiple times (once i've finished my programming courses at college, and gained experience with CS modding) trawling through all the unfinished mods and painstakingly completing them.

only now do i realize that i'm probably insane for thinking that.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Not anymore
Can't do that without permission.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
i have considered multiple times (once i've finished my programming courses at college, and gained experience with CS modding) trawling through all the unfinished mods and painstakingly completing them.

only now do i realize that i'm probably insane for thinking that.
yeah no that is actually the worst idea; unless you are working directly with the original modder, whatever you make is going to just be a shitty direvative of whatever their plan was.

i'm looking at you lunarsold.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Based Member
Can't do that without permission.
Ahem.
I don't remember exactly whether or not LunarSoul was able to contact Shmitz before posting JN Revived, so I would think that whatever the case was there would be acceptable here as well.

But yeah, finishing all of these forums' incomplete mods would require an entire childhood of free time to so much as kinda do a barely passable job on each of them. (Add an extra six years onto that if CS Redesign, WTF Story, and King's Story get abandoned)

I think Lunar had a similar dream once...
I hope I can someday be "that guy (whose name I don't quite remember) to turn to if there is a hack someone doesn't wanna finish."

But as far as I can tell, he has dropped that passion.

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Professional Whatever
jeez did I really say that
And come on, it was my first mod/attempt at making a game with no prior experience. I know I fucked it up but people have done worse things to mods.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Not anymore
I made a version of Jenka's Nightmare once. It was basically my first mod. I made it complete.
Obviously I did not have any balls, so I didn't post it. It would have been plagiarism. Totally shot down.

Even so, I knew how to program before. I made it so that you could get the spur and fight the revived-once-again core.
This is actually what Schmitz intended the ending to be (if you look at his random bits of unused TSC).

I didn't know how to ANP back then unfortunately. So no fancy ending. I did figure out how to roll the credits
and even edit them though.

The only thing this proves is that LunarSold / MagicDoors has much bigger balls than me.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
You mean return as in return with it's original developer? Or get revived and headed in the right direction?

Well, the one I'd like to see return is Curly Brace's Story [Working download link].
Jenka's Nightmare the Original
Word.

I liked Tale of the Broxxus, I would have loved to see that one finished.
I haven't really played many other mods.
I enjoyed that mod too, but not the last version, the previous one from 2009 (the last version was way different and I didn't like the new direction it took).

Other than those, it would be...

Iron Bird Story
Hakoniwa
Legacy of the Crown

I don't think King's Story needs to be listed since it's still being worked on.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Yeah, Iron Bird Story is a ridiculously good sequel to CS in which Quote and Sue have an adventure in a parallel dimension (think of it as Cave Story's Majora's Mask).

Hakoniwa is a neat looking but very short beta of a prequel starring Misery (way back before the creation of the Crown).