Modding Cave Story+ is NOT illegal.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, after reading a thread, I checked all the user conditions and contracts of Cave Story+, and I can say with all safety:

1: Modding IS NOT illegal. You can mod the game, and distribute it for FREE. (Well, for free, I think that is obvious)
2: You cannot do ports and distribute them. That means: You can make for yourself a PSP port (for example), and you can even say how do you did the port, but you CAN'T Distribute it.
3:You CAN make mods with the 2x graphics (tough this can be "bad taste", it isn't really illegal. You can even try to put the sprites on the free version (I'm trying it now, can't figure how to do it), but again, not distributing this "Old/New" version). In the way it's possible, NiCALiS would rather that the mods doesn't have the 2x sprites included, I'll explain why in the point 4.
Point 4: The mod CANNOT BE STANDALONE. You can't make the .exe and distribute it. This means that: For running the mod, you need to have the game installed on your computer. NiCALiS asked that, if possible, do not put the 2x sprites in the files of the mod. "Then how we can see the map?" Simple: For running the mod, the other user need to have the game installed, and the sprites will be there, so it's not necessary.

Welllll, thanks for reading, and I hope than, after reading this, we can see more Cave Story+ mods!
And somebody make the tutorial for porting the Cave Story+ to the PSP. I'll love making that to have it on my PSP :p

Goodbye!

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't see why you felt the need to make a new thread for this. Posting in the existing thread would have been perfectly acceptable. If I were a mod or admin, I would merge this thread. Whatever.
HellHeart said:
1: Modding IS NOT illegal. You can mod the game, and distribute it for FREE.
If you mean as in distribute the mod, then you're right. And distributing copies of the original game is legal, but not copies of Cave Story+.
HellHeart said:
2: You cannot do ports and distribute them. That means: You can make for yourself a PSP port (for example), and you can even say how do you did the port, but you CAN'T Distribute it.
You're right, ever since NICALiS got involved, ports by anyone other than them are not allowed.
HellHeart said:
3:You CAN make mods with the 2x graphics (tough this can be "bad taste", it isn't really illegal. You can even try to put the sprites on the free version (I'm trying it now, can't figure how to do it), but again, not distributing this "Old/New" version).
Yeah, you're right. That would be legal to do even with NICALiS' graphics if you had a legal version of Cave Story+ as long as you didn't distribute that copy.
HellHeart said:
Point 4: The mod CANNOT BE STANDALONE. You can't make the .exe and distribute it. This means that: For running the mod, you need to have the game installed on your computer. NiCALiS asked that, if possible, do not put the 2x sprites in the files of the mod. "Then how we can see the map?" Simple: For running the mod, the other user need to have the game installed, and the sprites will be there, so it's not necessary.
The fact that you can distribute Cave Story+ mods like that without distributing NICALiS' double resolution sprites has pretty much been brought up already, and I think everyone here already knows that.
HellHeart said:
And somebody make the tutorial for porting the Cave Story+ to the PSP. I'll love making that to have it on my PSP :p
Considering that the PSP doesn't have the necessary resolution to support 2x res graphics, you wouldn't be able to experience NICALiS' sprites. Also, as mentioned above, the only people who have the legal right to make ports of Cave Story anymore are those at NICALiS. But there's already the original Cave Story on the PSP, a port that was made before NICALiS took over. And to be honest, there isn't a whole lot you're missing out on if you play the original, and in fact, the original Cave Story has some charm that none of NICALiS' ports do in my opinion. Those being that it has the AGTP translation, and that it is debugged to near perfection. If you really wanted, you could make clones of boss rush, Curly mode, the Nemesis challenge, and if you really wanted to, you'd partially be able to do Wind Fortress, and then port those mods to the PSP. With that, the only thing you'd get out of an official CS+ port on the PSP that you wouldn't in the original is the remastered sound track, and a fully working Wind Fortress. Though seeing as how the PSP is last generation, I am seriously doubtful that NICALiS is going to even touch the PSP.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HaydenStudios said:
Considering that the PSP doesn't have the necessary resolution to support 2x res graphics, you wouldn't be able to experience NICALiS' sprites. Also, as mentioned above, the only people who have the legal right to make ports of Cave Story anymore are those at NICALiS. But there's already the original Cave Story on the PSP, a port that was made before NICALiS took over. And to be honest, there isn't a whole lot you're missing out on if you play the original, and in fact, the original Cave Story has some charm that none of NICALiS' ports do in my opinion. Those being that it has the AGTP translation, and that it is debugged to near perfection. If you really wanted, you could make clones of boss rush, Curly mode, the Nemesis challenge, and if you really wanted to, you'd partially be able to do Wind Fortress, and then port those mods to the PSP. With that, the only thing you'd get out of an official CS+ port on the PSP that you wouldn't in the original is the remastered sound track, and a fully working Wind Fortress. Though seeing as how the PSP is last generation, I am seriously doubtful that NICALiS is going to even touch the PSP.
No kidding. But still, PSP can support Cave Story+, and, as I said, making a port for yourself is NOT illegal. Distributing that port IS illegal.

Now people, I want to see more Cave Story+ mods!

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
HellHeart said:
No kidding. But still, PSP can support Cave Story+, and, as I said, making a port for yourself is NOT illegal. Distributing that port IS illegal.
I question the legality of porting a DRM-ed game and I question the feasibility and possibility of you completely reverse-engineering a game for very little real world benefit.