Misery Overhaul Project ~Completed~

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
What this is:
After playing through Cave Story a couple times, my fondness for Misery grew enough that I actually cared about how her sprite looked. If you never noticed, the character portrait for Misery shows that her hair and clothes are actually opposite of the colors on her sprite. I took note of this and started switching over the colors. After a while the simple recolor became a project for me and I ended up making several changes to the original Misery sprites, and also customized my Misery version of the game. A Changelist of what I have done so far is:

-Misery's hair, eyes and clothing have been re-colored to reflect her dialogue portrait. This recoloring effects not only the standard misery sprite, but also the Good ending "older" Misery and the possessed beast-like Misery sprites. Her Staff is also brown now, to help it not clash with the colors of her outfit/hair.
-Misery's hair has been changed slightly to look more like her portrait. This is not evident in the screenshots as it was later implemented.
-Misery's bust has been enlarged in the ending credits. This was a gift to myself, even if it was a sad one. Hopefully you'll enjoy it nonetheless.

Included in the files I'll be providing, I have also done a complete edit of the mychar (playable) Misery sprite. This includes:

-A uniquely colored Misery, somewhat brighter than the enemy Misery, but still retaining the look/style of the old one. Her eyes are also black, to help identify her as your heroine and not a confused beastie.
-A differently designed sprite, she now holds her staff visibly.
-The sprite has been repaired in several places. If you never noticed, the original version had several missing pixels in certain poses, sometimes cutting off one of her legs, or most of her staff. This has all been remedied.
-Her hair matches the character portrait style.
-I've included .pbm files that make the Snake, Spur, and Bubbler invisible while equipped. Allowing you to enjoy your magical fantasies. Also, the Booster no longer has a trail, allowing her to fly around somewhat naturally.

Here are some screenshots I took while testing. Please ignore the older "mychar" Misery sprite, obviously it no longer exists.
First Encounter
Good Ending Credits Misery
The End Lineup

Here are the download links for the Sprites.
Mega Upload
Rapidshare

Here are the links for Curly Mod Users
Mega Upload
Rapidshare

Here are the links for the Playable Misery pack
Mega Upload
Rapidshare

Here are links for the original .pbm files in case you'd like to switch back to the standard Misery sprites.
Mega Upload
Rapidshare

~A few tips, suggestions and comments~
If you plan on installing the playable Misery pack, I suggest doing so in a Curly version of the game. As this will sync up the dialogue with your new female character. This will also swap Curly for Quote.

Make sure you install the PROPER version. There IS a difference between the pbm files for the Curly mod and the pbm files for the Standard version of the game!

There is no difference between the Rapidshare/Megaupload links. I just included 2 for each download to help avoid broken/limit reached links.

Also, my thanks go out to Efraim Siounis for providing the original Misery mychar.​

Comments/Suggestions/Criticism all welcome. If you find any bugs, please report them here so I can squash them. I would REALLY love to hear what you all think!