Minecraft coming to the Xbox

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This E3, it was unveiled that Minecraft would be coming to the Xbox Live Arcade.
I don't own an Xbox, but I'm aware of Fortresscraft and don't like it very much. In my opinion, when Minecraft gets moved to the Xbox Fortresscraft will be forced to be taken off. After all, in the description of the game I believe the creator says "I just wanted Minecraft for the Xbox", or something along those lines.

What are your opinions?

Edit:
Also, it has been stated that Notch won't be working on the Xbox port (or the Xperia port for that matter) so he can solely work on the PC version.
In addition, there has been some controversy recently about how Minecraft will be a lot different on the Xbox, without things like mods and even non-whitelistable servers.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
FortressCraft does not infringe on Minecraft's copyrights. It won't be taken down.
Minecraft for the Xbox probably won't be very popular because no mods and can't play with PC users. It's good that more people can play it now, though.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Member Title
Yes, but what I was trying to say was that the creator of Fortresscraft just wanted a Minecraft for the Xbox. Now that it is being made, Fortresscraft will be very insignificant, and nobody new is going to buy it.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I don't recall FortressCraft being very significant to begin with

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Member Title
It will be even more insignificant.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Isn't fortresscraft just minecraft with fancy graphics?

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Member Title
Kinda, it also apparently has themes from Dwarf Fortress, thus the title FortressCraft.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
But at heart its still a ripoff err i mean it sucks. but still it sucks that 1.it isnt coming for the psn 2. no mods 3.no online play with pc users.

edit: Dang you microsoft and xbox live!

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Minecraft is fantastic, and I'm really hoping that they can make this work on Xbox. Especially since I've heard talk of Kinect being involved. I'm a little skeptical on how that's going to work. :/

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:03 PM
meep
I used to follow FortressCraft updates, even though the current episode pretty much is Minecraft classic, the future versions are set to be very different.
I recall him saying he didn't like how most mechanical creations in MC revolved around glitches, and wanted to make his game much more industrial and have items intended for making custom machines without relying on glitches.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Doomed

Sounds like FortressCraft would still be obsolete in the long run, then, Notch has been fixing the mechanical glitches and giving replacements, like the Boosters with the Minecart.
Also pretty sure he's been beat to the punch by Minecraft mods, sounds like IndustrialCraft does what he planned and more already, and Notch does plan to eventually allow full mod support, 1.7 is suppose to be the start of mod support even. This is important because, according to what he's said, we might even find things like IndustrialCraft being integrated into the normal Minecraft experience, becoming apart of the official game instead of being a modification, along with any other popular mods once the vanilla game is finished. We'll be getting new content long after it's finished.
FortressCraft doesn't have a lot of room...

That said, those are the same reasons I see Minecraft on the Xbox ending up absolutely inferior to the PC version, a poor port that might draw more players to this version if they like it enough.
Unless mod support is added to the Xbox version as well, then that'd change things a lot....

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Well I guess I'm the only fan of FortressCraft then haha. And FYI, FortressCraft isn't insignificant, it's the most downloaded Indie game on Xbox LIVE right now. And about MineCraft on Xbox? I really don't care.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: Doomed

Doesn't fortresscraft use minecraft's code? I mean it seems like an exact copy of MC, except with flashy graphics and cooler water.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:56 PM
Been here way too long...
Re: Doomed

FortressCraft does not use any of Minecraft's code. I find it amusing that people would raise such a big stink about FortressCraft being like Minecraft when three of last year's best-selling games look identical, and this is not a new thing at all.

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Member Title
Also, wasn't FC written in C++, while MC was in Java? That's why the MC Xbox team has to re-code it from Java to C++ before putting it on the marketplace.