MG Hacked

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Earlier this morning Mirai Gamer Forums was hacked and the index page was reset to show the hacker's signature. Someone who called himself "Red Devil".

Not sure if it was just someone who wanted to see if they could hack the forum, or if it was someone who intends to do it again. In any case, things are at least for the moment back to normal again, but it is advised at least for the time being to backup anything you may consider current, recently posted or important in case this sort of event happens again.

MG Forums operates on a vBulletin forum which are supposed to be one of the securest forums on the web, but even vBs can be hacked apparently if someone wants badly enough to do it.

Fortunately the database appears to be unaffected, so after a fresh reinstall of the newest version of the vB software, here we are again.

-Thomas

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
yes i noticed. and no it wasnt me.

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Maybe the spammer "tuvw685".

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
some kids wanna to be cool..
well at least seems cool.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:17 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
so the site tried to hack itself? highly unlikely.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:29 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Wow Double Think! Nice find! That explains a few things. Well, at least that puts my mind at rest that it may just be a "drive-by" hacking job or a possible automated script bot. It sure beats the alternative of some malicious user that has it out for the MG community. : )

I appreciate the link!

-Thomas

Edit: Oh yeah, and it seems that I lost the pretty small banner pictures that were listed on each of the various forum categories. I can't remember exactly how I set that up, but I'll get around to fixing that one of these days.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
How sure are you that no Table of the Database got backuped / ripped?
Fortunately the database appears to be unaffected
is not very helpfull.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:22 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well in order to gain access to the database he would need to have known where the database is, what the database name is and what the password is in order to dump a table from it. If he had that much access what would have prevented him from changing the database password? I think this was more of a vB exploit that he must have used in order to insert code which would affect the html page.

However, with that being said I am not an expert on databases, so if there was a way for him to dump a table with the hack, then I'd have no way of knowing if he backed it or made a copy of something. If I knew that, I'd probably have to be a hacker myself. But I'm not.

-Thomas

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:04 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!!!!!