Metroidvania style Cave Story mod?

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I just thought of a Cave Story mod in which you explore a huge castle made of hundreds of rooms...

But that's probably impossible to make.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
just play redesign

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kay look.
No one's going to make a mod for you. If you want to play a mod that's not already out there then learn how to mod and make it yourself. I'm tired of seeing people just launch their ideas into this forum category hoping someone will take it and make your mod. Plus, the fact that you believe that the task is impossible shows that you don't really even have a reason to make a thread for it in the first place.
Also that's not even near impossible, as long as you pay attention to the number of maps you have. You can have dozens of rooms in a single map if you want.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Why would you have hundreds of rooms in a single map when you can be a cool kid and rework the executable to make the map counter 32-bit?

That's more difficult than it sounds, even if you know x86.

I would love a Spelunky style mod, minus the random generation of maps.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
MagicDoors said:
Kay look.
No one's going to make a mod for you. If you want to play a mod that's not already out there then learn how to mod and make it yourself. I'm tired of seeing people just launch their ideas into this forum category hoping someone will take it and make your mod. Plus, the fact that you believe that the task is impossible shows that you don't really even have a reason to make a thread for it in the first place.
Also that's not even near impossible, as long as you pay attention to the number of maps you have. You can have dozens of rooms in a single map if you want.
I don't remember asking anyone to make it for me. I just wanted to know if people thought that it would be interesting to play Cave Story in a huge castle, thus the stand-alone executable of my own Cave Story engine. I could easily make a game with 100 rooms in Game Maker, but I don't think it's exactly possible with the original.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Yes, unless you're andwhyisit and you're trying to port 100 rooms to the PSP. :muscledoc:

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

This is possible without having to use lots of map files, I am currently doing it in my mod. My maps are made up of lots of 21tilex16tile rooms and when you walk to the edge of the room the camera slides to the next room. I do this by having a blank NPC in the centre of the room and having a <FON command set to it, meaning the camera will only focus on that area. When they walk to the edge of a room it triggers a H/V Trigger which sets it to focus on the next camera, this causes the nice sliding effect.

It can also work if you want your rooms to all be different sizes because you can set the camera to <FON a H/V Trigger and then just control where the H/Z Trigger goes using those No NPC blocks. That way you could have a long corridor that slides as you move but doesn't leave the set boundaries.

Finally, if you want your rooms to have actual doors to go through you still can do this without lots of map files by just having the door move you to a different spot on the map instead of to a whole new file.

Hope this helped in any way. If you need to get more detail I could send you some map files with the script so you can see how it actually works.