Manga help

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Really good. A lot better than I could ever do.

Wasn't Quote and Curly supposed to have white skin? Like, bleached white?

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Any decent book on anatomy for artists should be fine. Probably cheaper and more useful too. More versatile.

I don't know of any though.

The anatomy books by Louise Gordon are good.
I also finally ordered a copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain :p

@xristosx
I don't see any Curly :/
Did you upload it to the board or hosted it extern?

@Atravir
Yes, Curly and Quote have bright skin, Misery as well.
Well, Curly and Quote are robots and have no pigments/fixed colored skin and Misery was sealed 10 years away from the sun^^
Since you asked about this I'd better say that they shouldn't have visible joints, since they wouldn't be water tight with just an air bottle providing internal pressure then.

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:37 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atravir said:
Really good. A lot better than I could ever do.

Wasn't Quote and Curly supposed to have white skin? Like, bleached white?

yeah i dont like the bleached skin colour i reckon it sorta makes it look horrible

Tadashi said:
@xristosx
I don't see any Curly :/
Did you upload it to the board or hosted it extern?

I used photobucket, its on the second page, or ive sorta got my pic in my sig but i made the colour different there

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:47 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
xristosx said:
yeah i dont like the bleached skin colour i reckon it sorta makes it look horrible
But that's what you'd look like if you were sleeping in a dark cave for weeks/months/years/ on end.

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:07 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Jester Frog said:
But that's what you'd look like if you were sleeping in a dark cave for weeks/months/years/ on end.

lol that makes sense but i still think the colour looks horrible like that, plus once they get moving the colour would fix up :p

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:17 AM
Guy with Sword
Jester Frog said:

I though it was because they were robots. I don't think they have skin, just plating. Then again, they're supposed to look realistic...

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:48 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Atravir said:
I though it was because they were robots. I don't think they have skin, just plating. Then again, they're supposed to look realistic...

Nobody knew Quote was a robot until Booster revealed it.
So either nobody remembers what the robots looked like, inclusive Kazuma and Sue, or Quote simply doesn't resembles a robot.
With plates they wouldn't be waterproof with the addition of a simple pressure bottle.
So the only hints that he is an robot from an outsiders view are his antenna ears and his pale skin.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:49 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Tadashi said:
So either nobody remembers what the robots looked like, inclusive Kazuma and Sue, or Quote simply doesn't resembles a robot.
With plates they wouldn't be waterproof with the addition of a simple pressure bottle.
So the only hints that he is an robot from an outsiders view are his antenna ears and his pale skin.

yeah and his ability to jump... which is normal in platform games lol

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Tadashi said:

Kazuma did say he was very well made.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:04 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
andwhyisit said:
Kazuma did say he was very well made.

Could you tell me where he said it?
The word "made" isn't used in either Grasstown, the shelter, the 00 Eggroom or Arthur's house.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:29 AM
Guy with Sword
In Arthur's house he said it, or something like it. You have to talk to him, though.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:53 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Man, he says this after Booster revealed Quote's a robot.
You are real heroes...

Kazuma: ...Who IS he?
Booster: In fact... This is one of the armed scout robots that were dispatched to this island 10 years ago.
Kazuma: A robot?!
Booster: My impression was that they had been completely wiped out, but I do not know the particulars.

after the whole sequence, that starts automatically on arrival, you can talk to Kazuma

Kazuma: So you're one of the...
I hadn't even noticed. My, my, you certainly are well-built.

If Quote had joints, wouldn't Kazuma have noticed it?

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:03 AM
Guy with Sword
He probably has some synthetic white skin. He might be colored that so people can tell humans and robots apart on the surface.

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Heres a drawing i did recently of quote

>_> But i think i drew his chest to big and too big muscles lol

Quote-colourFull.jpg

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:52 PM
Guy with Sword
Quote's gone commando.

Pretty good, though. Looks really nice.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If I might describe how I tend to work my way into drawing other people's characters, when I'm not feeling lazy...
Try drawing exactly, tracing if necesary, some of the original artwork, and keep on doing that until you can reproduce it recognizably. Then work on drawing slightly different, more original pieces, and slowly work your way out into completely new scenes and images. You should gradually be able to pickup on what details and elements to the characters' design are the ones that you need to fix-up, and because you've been drawing them, doing so should be remembering to include them the next time you're drawing than having to study them to see what exactly they look like.
... actualy, since I prefer not to draw fanart, this is how I teach myself what to change about my own drawings when I find new styles, rather than characters, that have elements I like - I try drawing them until I'm familiar with what exactly it is I like about them, and see how that differs from how I've done it, and try to find some compromise between the parts of my style that are due to obsessive quirks, and what I like about others' methods.
Actualy, Ctulhu, Misery, Curly, and Chaco were all able to identify him on their own. >_>
Although it may be presumed that the others had no idea, seeing as robots are apparently noteworthy sights, Kazuma's the only one I can remember whom we do know was mistaken.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:58 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Garbeld said:
... actualy, since I prefer not to draw fanart, this is how I teach myself what to change about my own drawings when I find new styles, rather than characters, that have elements I like - I try drawing them until I'm familiar with what exactly it is I like about them, and see how that differs from how I've done it, and try to find some compromise between the parts of my style that are due to obsessive quirks, and what I like about others' methods.

I have been drawing other stuff as well as quote ive done quite a few sketches of random people i just wanted to draw.. even if they look crap :rolleyes:
but they look alot better once i photoshop them :D

Aug 17, 2007 at 10:45 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Garbeld said:
Actualy, Ctulhu, Misery, Curly, and Chaco were all able to identify him on their own. >_>
Although it may be presumed that the others had no idea, seeing as robots are apparently noteworthy sights, Kazuma's the only one I can remember whom we do know was mistaken.

Curly is a robot herself and knew this even though she had amnesia, but you meet her after Booster revealed your identity anyway. Chaco also never gave a comment about Quote being a robot, even after some fun in the bed :rolleyes:
Misery refered to Quote as a soldier when fighting against Balfrog, but she doesn't ever recognize Quote, only compares him to himself 10 years ago as another person.
The Ctulhu also refer to Quote as a soldier from the surface.