Making and changing tilesets?

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:52 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I want to have different tile sets then the ones in cave story and other people's mods. How do you make one?

Attachments

• game.png
    game.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 13
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:58 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
First off, if you have not done so already, open up your mod with Cave Editor and in game settings, check the "Remove (C) Pixel requirement for images" checkbox, and in the field below, change the file extension from pbm to bmp. Booster's Lab probably has a similar feature, but as I understand it from other posts of yours, you've been having trouble using Booster's Lab. Now that you have done that, make a bitmap image with a width of 256 pixels, and have its height be a multiple of 16 that does not exceed 256. Now have that image's file name begin with "Prt", and after that put the name you want to give that tileset. Use that image as your tileset. Now copy an existing .pxa file that resides in the "stage" folder of your mod, and rename it to match that of your tileset. Now in an editor modify the properties of each tile in your tileset to match your image, and you have your own tileset.

Next time, please use the Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread for asking any modding questions, rather than starting a new topic.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Professional Whatever
You forgot to mention that he needs to change the file extension from .bmp to .pbm to actually get it to work.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Not if you use Caveditor to change all image extensions to bitmaps... right?

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Based Member
ChimeApple said:
Not if you use Caveditor to change all image extensions to bitmaps... right?
Precisely, that's why I left out that detail. If he hadn't changed their extensions yet, then I would have assumed that he also wouldn't have removed the (C) Pixel requirement.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Professional Whatever
But he hasn't made any custom files yet or changed them. You don't know whether or not he has removed the (c)pixel requirement.
It's better to provide the most informative answer anyway, I mean why not?

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Based Member
Very well, the post has been updated for completeness.