Magic in Cave Story

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
When did everyone agree Ballos is responsible for red flowers?

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:28 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
nowhere...?
where in this thread does anyone postulate about mister balls being responsible for the flowars?

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM
"Keep on rollin'!"
andwhyisit said:
There is a common source of both the demon crown's and red flower's powers. (Ballos)
Haw, pshaw.>

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

JetHawk95 said:
I Like that concept too,
I like the concept of jenka was using ehr magic to protect the storehouse (Not leeting anyone enter). So the doctor ordered ballrog to get the key, Seems like good sense
Maybe she added some magic of her own to seal the warehouse, completely, as long as the door remained locked?
*Shrug*
Or maybe Doctor Dumb was too dumb to figure this out himself :D {I know this was said before, but I couldn't resist a pun}

thecrown said:
andwhyisit said:
Due to the common source of both the demon crown's and red flower's powers (Ballos) it shouldn't be hard to believe that the Doctor had some level of immunity.
Haw, pshaw.>
Huh, well if that's what andwhy's saying, I'ma have to say:
diph.php
{Been dying to use this}
Couldn't the Red Flowers just be a natural sort of thing? Hell, we have talking bunnies, don't we? {It wouldn't be surprising, anyways}
But if Ballos is the source of the Red Flowers, how exactly is this accomplished?
As in, is he the reason for their creation, or does he just amplify them in a way?

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM
"Keep on rollin'!"
That pun was not a pun.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Huh?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Or maybe Doctor Dumb was too dumb to figure this out himself :D
thecrown said:
That pun was not a pun.
It was referring to the Mimiga in jail who says "Doctor Dumb can go screw himself!!"

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:16 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
It doesn't really seem like a pun to me, either... puns are all about double meanings...

andwhyisit said:
Also has anyone noticed that Misery cannot move horizontally when she floats? I am willing to bet that she repels herself from the floor, but she most likely can't push herself away from the wall like that.
I bet she can push away from the wall, but maybe she can't do both at once? Which would mean she falls as she pushes away.

wedge of cheese said:
I've always wondered, what are the limits on teleportation? There must be some limits, because if there weren't, The Doctor wouldn't have needed the storehouse key; he could have just teleported into the storehouse using the Crown.
I think the most sensible thing is that Jenka had some protections against teleporting into the storehouse, but none against teleporting out. So, they needed the key to get in. As for why they didn't bash down the door... Jenka protections again? *shrug*

wedge of cheese said:
Which brings me to my next question: what are the differences between "wizard powers" (like Misery's and Ballos's and Jenka's) and powers given by the Demon Crown?
I think they're the same; the Demon Crown essentially grants the wearer access to Ballos's power.

wedge of cheese said:
And what the fuck is the Red Crystal!? I've never been satisfied with The Doctor's explanation that it was just highly concentrated Red Flower juice that works on humans as well as mimigas, because Red Flowers make you lose yourself and go crazy, and the Red Crystal clearly did not have that effect on The Doctor (at least not until you beat his first form).
Well, initially the Doctor has the crystal under control, so it's not affecting him.

andwhyisit said:
Actually I don't think that Misery is immortal, Ballos is kept alive against his will but died in the end, and Jenka's life was artificially extended and is nearing its end.
There are at least two types of immortality; one is "impossible to kill" and the other is "lives forever unless killed".

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Couldn't the Red Flowers just be a natural sort of thing? Hell, we have talking bunnies, don't we? {It wouldn't be surprising, anyways}
But if Ballos is the source of the Red Flowers, how exactly is this accomplished?
As in, is he the reason for their creation, or does he just amplify them in a way?
1. Mimigas are not bunnies, they just look like bunnies, there is a difference. There is insufficient evidence to suggest that bunnies exist in CS' world, and it is largely impossible that bunnies can evolve into Mimigas since it would strip them of their natural defences for millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of years.

2. This theory was discussed a long time ago and I am feeling too lazy to recite all of it. It basically has to do with the crown bearer's power over frenzied Mimigas, the corrupting influence of Ballos' magic, how the effects of the red flowers stop after the Core is defeated (which stems into the Core theory), and I think something else I can't remember. We really need a record of various theories like what X-Calibar suggested.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Er, oops

Celtic Minstrel said:
It doesn't really seem like a pun to me, either... puns are all about double meanings...
Er, guess I should brush up on my definitions...
andwhyisit said:
1. Mimigas are not bunnies, they just look like bunnies, there is a difference. There is insufficient evidence to suggest that bunnies exist in CS' world, and it is largely impossible that bunnies can evolve into Mimigas since it would strip them of their natural defences for millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of years.
I didn't mean literally, I was just trying to point out that if the Mimgas were a naturally-formed race, than the Flowers could've been a natural thing, too.
But I guess we don't really know if the Red Flowers, or even the Mimigas, evolved naturally to their present states....
>.>;

I'd like to think they were natural, since it seems kinda obvious the Gaudi's were around when Jenka imprisoned Ballos and created the Core, asking them to watch over it. Never said she created them.
If strange things like the Gaudi's, Mimiga's and all the other critters and creatures could've evolved on the Island, I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Flowers were natural, either.
But this is for another thread, isn't it :rolleyes:

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
About the Flowers and Ballos, I've always assumed they were unrelated (although I did read a fanfic somewhere in which Ballos got in an epic battle of some sort, and where drops of his blood fell, the Red Flowers sprung up and that's where they all came from. That's a possibility).

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Ohhhh!

OooO I like that concept W.O.C
Thats pretty cool

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:17 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
wedge of cheese said:
Red Flowers make you lose yourself and go crazy, and the Red Crystal clearly did not have that effect on The Doctor

The Doctor explained that red flower has two effects. It makes Mimigas go crazy and gives them incredible strength. He then explained that he suppressed the part that makes you go insane and somehow made it work on humans.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:29 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Joey_Skywalker said:
The Doctor explained that red flower has two effects. It makes Mimigas go crazy and gives them incredible strength. He then explained that he suppressed the part that makes you go insane and somehow made it work on humans.
Code:
<MS3<FAC0021Administering red flowers
to a Mimiga causes it to
fly into a violent rage...<NOD<CLRThe reason for this, in
fact, is quite simple.<NOD<CLRThe flowers contain not
only a substance to draw
out one's latent powers,<NOD<CLRbut also one to crush
one's very faculties of
reason.<NOD<CLRIt is this that I have
successfully extracted
and concentrated.<NOD<CLRYou can see it in the
form of this...<NOD<CLO<FAC0000
<WAI0020<DNP0401<ANP0400:0040:0000<WAI0020
<MS3<FAC0021...Red Crystal.<WAI0030<NOD<CLRAnd unlike the flowers,
this Crystal will affect
humans as well.<NOD<CLR<ANP0400:0050:0000Ho-ho-hoh...<NOD<CLRIt is wondrous!<NOD<CLRDo you understand the
splendor of this?
Do you?!<NOD<CLRI doubt you do!<NOD<CLRThen allow me to
explain it...<NOD<CLRIn a special lecture!!<NOD<CLO
He does say it crushes one's faculties for reason, which results in their insane rage, and brings out their latent powers.
But, he explains how the Red Crystal works on humans {Because it's just so darn concentrated} and he never said anything about preventing it from crushing his own mind.

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM
"Keep on rollin'!"
Are you calling the doctor and idiot?
Or dumb?
i think that's what you said.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM
lolwut?
why did you get angry at that?
and no, that isn't what void said.
he said that the red crystal could've made him go berserk as well.
yeesh.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:49 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh.

Lace said:
lolwut?
why did you get angry at that?
and no, that isn't what void said.
he said that the red crystal could've made him go berserk as well.
yeesh.
Actually...
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Or maybe Doctor Dumb was too dumb to figure this out himself :rolleyes:
I couldn't resist the opportunity.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:59 AM
pah, he was so totally replying to the post right above his.
and doctor dumb can go screw himself for all I care.