Mac OSX problems

Jul 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM
phantasy
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
I really love this game so far, but I keep getting errors that suddenly stop the game. I am using a Mac on the OSX system. :p It is getting really tiresome and really halting my play. Help?

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM
Banned
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
phantasy said:
I really love this game so far, but I keep getting errors that suddenly stop the game. I am using a Mac on the OSX system. :rolleyes: It is getting really tiresome and really halting my play. Help?

what's your exact system number? i have a mac (unlike everyone else) and didn't face those problems, but i might aswell help you! :D so... can you tell me some details? then i could help! and, just between the two of us, you now enter a risk zone... it's possible you can get irritated because of two members here that like to troll me, no matter what. so, they maybe start irritating you. when they are, i can tell you that they're the trolls... it isn't so smart to start telling names, isn't it? but i am glad to help! :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
dude this post was on "July 4th, 2006, 02:46 AM"
This guy is'nt even here anymore...

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:38 PM
Banned
JetHawk95 said:
dude this post was on "July 4th, 2006, 02:46 AM"
This guy is'nt even here anymore...

He has to say... dude... can't i just try to help someone without being disturbed by distractions? seriously, man...

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Merlinoboy said:
He has to say... dude... can't i just try to help someone without being disturbed by distractions? seriously, man...

Not when they posted the thread over 3 years ago.

Since there's no chance of the original poster of seeing this (since he posted this complaint over 3 years ago), you're not really helping anyone.

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:26 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Not when they posted the thread over 3 years ago.

Since there's no chance of the original poster of seeing this (since he posted this complaint over 3 years ago), you're not really helping anyone.

Don't be so hard on him Giraka, he's new to the internet. New to life!

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:16 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
WoodenRat said:
Don't be so hard on him Giraka, he's new to the internet. New to life!

People who are new to it will never get over being new to it and their feelings are never to be considered.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM
Pirate Member
Fire1052 said:
People who are new to it will never get over being new to it and their feelings are never to be considered.

In that case...Think we can make him kill himself?

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:20 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
WoodenRat said:
In that case...Think we can make him kill himself?

Now you're thinking with portals!

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
On a current note, Cave Story has ceased to work on for me (after working previously in years past). I'm running an Intel Mac with OS 10.6.4. The app quits immediately after starting, both running natively and via Rosetta. I'm running the 0.0.7 universal binary (as always), and temporarily deleting the preferences file had no impact.

Can anyone confirm that it's running for them on Snow Leopard (as I suspect that may be the issue)? Thanks in advance.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well I can run it on my mac at work, and it's OS X 10.6 (snow leopard).

I don't really know enough about macs, but I can tell you that it probably isn't the operating system itself (snow leopard).

Also double posting is generally frowned upon, note that on your posts there will be an "Edit" button. So just edit your post instead of making another.

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, isn't this weird...

If I launch Doukutsu.app from the mounted disk image, it seems to work fine. If I copy it to the hd (~/Desktop in my case) it dies immediately on launch to an error which looks like a memory access error. This started when I updated from leopard to snow leopard (just a few days ago).

This is kind of a problem, since mounted disk images are write-protected and I'd like to play it in english and now I can't apply language patch to a working copy myself...

Code:
Here is some information from the error report:
Process:         Doukutsu [649]
Path:            /Users/biq/Desktop/Doukutsu.app/Contents/MacOS/Doukutsu
Identifier:      com.nakiwo.Doukutsu
Version:         0.0.7 (0.0.7)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [70]

Date/Time:       2010-08-23 01:02:09.350 +0300
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          58682 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           20
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  139 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   18
Anonymous UUID:                      .................... (redacted)

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Also, forcing it to use Rosetta (running the ppc codepath) does nothing else but change the Code Type in the above report to PPC... If I had to make a guess, Snow Leopard is having a fit over some kind of memory trick or bug that Cave Story does which earlier OS X versions let slide...

EDIT: Now, I found that I can sidestep this issue by saving the patched Doukutsu.app into a .dmg file myself (and always mounting that image when I want to play) ... seems to work, but it is rather contrived. Oh well... If you make an alias to the Doukutsu.app then OS X automatically mounts the disk image when needed.

EDIT2: Is it okay to distribute a dmg with pre-patched Doukutsu.app? What files should be included? (Not that creating a dmg would be particularly hard just by poking around in Disk Utility)

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:44 PM
Pirate Member
I'd recommend waiting for someone like Noxid or GIR to help you. In fact, you should message them right now.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM
BiQ said:
Well, isn't this weird...

If I launch Doukutsu.app from the mounted disk image, it seems to work fine. If I copy it to the hd (~/Desktop in my case) it dies immediately on launch to an error which looks like a memory access error. This started when I updated from leopard to snow leopard (just a few days ago).

This is kind of a problem, since mounted disk images are write-protected and I'd like to play it in english and now I can't apply language patch to a working copy myself...

Code:
Here is some information from the error report:
Process:         Doukutsu [649]
Path:            /Users/biq/Desktop/Doukutsu.app/Contents/MacOS/Doukutsu
Identifier:      com.nakiwo.Doukutsu
Version:         0.0.7 (0.0.7)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [70]

Date/Time:       2010-08-23 01:02:09.350 +0300
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          58682 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           20
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  139 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   18
Anonymous UUID:                      .................... (redacted)

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Also, forcing it to use Rosetta (running the ppc codepath) does nothing else but change the Code Type in the above report to PPC... If I had to make a guess, Snow Leopard is having a fit over some kind of memory trick or bug that Cave Story does which earlier OS X versions let slide...

EDIT: Now, I found that I can sidestep this issue by saving the patched Doukutsu.app into a .dmg file myself (and always mounting that image when I want to play) ... seems to work, but it is rather contrived. Oh well... If you make an alias to the Doukutsu.app then OS X automatically mounts the disk image when needed.

EDIT2: Is it okay to distribute a dmg with pre-patched Doukutsu.app? What files should be included? (Not that creating a dmg would be particularly hard just by poking around in Disk Utility)

It seems that I think I know the problem you are facing, have you tried copying the whole folder of doukutsu to your desktop?