Mac Mods

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey all. If you haven't seen some of my "I NEED HELPZORS" posts, I run strictly on Macs. No possible PC access, which is a problem, because I've been hearing about all these insane mods.

I doubt many people have a Mac, so they can't help me, but does anyone know of a CaveStory Mac mod maker, like Sue's Workshop? or even a Mac-compatible mod?

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Darken Wolf said:
Hey all. If you haven't seen some of my "I NEED HELPZORS" posts, I run strictly on Macs. No possible PC access, which is a problem, because I've been hearing about all these insane mods.

I doubt many people have a Mac, so they can't help me, but does anyone know of a CaveStory Mac mod maker, like Sue's Workshop? or even a Mac-compatible mod?
KAH may work on Mac one day if someone tells sp the Mac offsets for the program:
No, thats not the prob, to compile the program for linux and mac is very easy, just 1 command, this language is 100% multi platform, it even has DOS support...

But I don't have a mac and I don't have linux so give me the offsets.
but KAH is not yet finished for Windows let alone Mac so you will have to wait. All the other editors are for the windows version, so everyone makes the mods for the windows version, sorry. :D

Isn't there a way to run windows on a mac?

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:48 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It is possible to run Cave Story and its mods and Sue's Workshop and KAH under Linux with Wine. With the latest version everything except the transition effects in the game seem to work perfectly out of the box.

Macs I am not familiar with, but this one would seem like a valid starting point:
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

Edit: If you go the virtual machine route Parallels or VMWare might be worth a try.

Edit2: Even if you'd compile KAH on a Mac it could still only edit the Windows version of Cave Story.

Oct 8, 2007 at 6:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 8, 2007 at 7:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
turska said:
It is possible to run Cave Story and its mods and Sue's Workshop and KAH under Linux with Wine. With the latest version everything except the transition effects in the game seem to work perfectly out of the box.

Macs I am not familiar with, but this one would seem like a valid starting point:
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
Basically, you're saying to split my harddrive and make a Linux parallel on my computer? Like Virtual PC? It's worth a shot, sure...

turska said:
Edit2: Even if you'd compile KAH on a Mac it could still only edit the Windows version of Cave Story.
Not quite. I've tried some of Serious Face's mods, and they half work. On the 'Want to play my Modded Game'?' one, I can see the opening room and stuff. But the door at the top won't open, because when I do, it resets the game, throwing me in an inescapable. Same thing happens in Authur's House when I try to go to the Sand Zone (but not vice-versa). The enemies are jumbled with NPC and Enemy sprites. So, while the maps and stuff are good, the specific commands like doors and new areas are terrible, on a Mac's standard. It's because Macs run on a different file than the .exe files that ONLY work on a Windows.

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Darken Wolf said:
Not quite. I've tried some of Serious Face's mods, and they half work. On the 'Want to play my Modded Game'?' one, I can see the opening room and stuff. But the door at the top won't open, because when I do, it resets the game, throwing me in an inescapable. Same thing happens in Authur's House when I try to go to the Sand Zone (but not vice-versa). The enemies are jumbled with NPC and Enemy sprites. So, while the maps and stuff are good, the specific commands like doors and new areas are terrible, on a Mac's standard. It's because Macs run on a different file than the .exe files that ONLY work on a Windows.
That's because most of the better mods out there rely on changes to the exe.