Ma Pignon is Female (and possibly the originator of the Pignons)

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:59 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This might have seemed obvious to some people, but here's my take on Ma Pignon's gender, which as far as I know is not explicitly mentioned in the game.

...Except for in Ma Pignon's name. *MA* Pignon. Ma. Shortened from Mama. Short for Mother. Ma Pignon is probably female, which even the Nicalis translators seem to have not noticed. (see, "I lost... to a girl...")

But if Ma Pignon is a mother, what are they a mother of? My other theory, is: Ma Pignon is the mother of the other Pignons. It would explain why she has a whole storehouse to themselves while the others are forced to wander the Mimiga graveyard below: the other Pignons are treating their mother with reverence. Perhaps the Giant Pignon is either the older firstborn of Ma Pignon, or even the father who watches over them (though some mushrooms can reproduce asexually, so this might be a stretch).

Anyway, that's my theory about the possible origin of a group of weak enemies that appear in one room in the entire game.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:23 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I mean that, and in french "ma" is a feminine possessive term. "Mon" is the male counterpart of that word. :)

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:56 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Huh. When you mentioned that I googled to see if "Pignon" was a French word. Apparently the Pignons' names are similar to (and probably derived from) the French word for mushroom (champignon). So, Ma Pignon might just translate to "My (Curly Brace's) Shroom". Maybe this is more of a fringe theory than I thought...

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:11 PM
Based Member
Yeah, I noticed the "Ma" a while ago, but never really thought much of it. This is the first I'm hearing about Pignon being derived from the French word, though. That does make it odd about the defeat line on Curly mode, though, where it (she?) says "I lost... to a girl..."

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:06 AM
War criminal
I just know because it's the same word in spanish (champiñon), and in french and italian they use "ng" in place of ñ.

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:36 AM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i was having a video of muscle man in fancy episode
saying i want the flint mignon
i thought pignon means a mushroom