Love & War : Act I

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
p156698-0-titleact1.png

Love & War : Act I is a freeware RPG game by Admiral Styles for RPG Maker 2000.​
The first (and currently only) game in a fantasy series following the recently graduated Ryan Eramond and his good friends.​
While fun and adventure await, the building tension between nations threaten to change their world forever.​
The game has been in development for years now, and at last the revamped version has just been released.​
Expect voice acting for major characters, some new full-screen CGs, revised maps, some original music and more polish.​

p156698-1-rpguntitled1.jpg
p156698-2-rpguntitled2.jpg

p156698-3-rpguntitled4.jpg
p156698-4-rpguntitled7.jpg

p156698-5-rpguntitled6.jpg
p156698-6-rpguntitled3.jpg

Out of all the RPGmaker games I've played, this one has potential to reach my top pick.
The game is dialogue heavy, but it's witty and fun. The characters come to life and the story doesn't just explode all over the place. You'll find yourself in a lively world where almost everyone has something worth listening to. I can't recommend trying this FREE game enough.

You can get it from the game's site : http://antioch.snow-fall.com/law/ (It's the 168 MB download on the front page!)
or from rpgmaker.net : http://rpgmaker.net/games/98/

Did I mention this game has voiced lines? o_O

... And if you're not sure if you want to give the game a chance,
a game that has been lovingly crafted over countless hours; years of prodding, tears, and lost sleep...
Then here's an old parody video featuring the voice actors and characters of L&W. It'll give you a feel for what you're missing out on...

EDIT: 999th post D:

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, the game is interesting, I'll say that much. (Stuck on the first town...) It does seem nostalgic with the music. Controls are easy to adjust and it seems like a good game to play to pass the time.
Also, I'm not sure if I got something wrong or not, but there hasn't been any voice acting. Either it comes later, or something isn't right with the version I got.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Hey Rubyyoshi, thanks for checking it out!!
... was your version 18 - 11 megs in size? The new version is supposed to be 164 megs D:

Apparently the link on their Download page hasn't been updated yet, but their latest blog entry has the correct link. I'll tell them about the problem...
If you can try downloading the new version, and if I can convince you to start over... I'd really love to see your reaction to the differences between the new version. :D

And if you get stuck on the first town the second time around, the game comes with a txt file, or here :
THE MINI-MINI-WALKTHRU:

Nobody likes being stuck. And certainly, nobody likes being stuck at the very beginning of the game. So here is a list of actions you need to do on the first day. There are plenty of other people to talk to, of course, but these are the ones you need to. Skip over this part if you feel you need no help...

Talk to Clarissa. Her Junk... excuse me, "Souvenir" shop is roughly in the middle of town.
Talk to Juno. He should be prowling around somewhere in the north end of town.
Talk to Cathy. She's north of Clarissa's shop.
Talk to Jaina. She should be somewhere around the Colonel's gym, east of Clarissa's shop.
Talk to Alex Robertson. He should be walking around the south end of town.
Talk to Hamid. He should be roughly in the southeastern part of town.
Talk to Armin. His house is in the southwest corner of town.
Talk to Henrik. His house is right next to Armin's.
Talk to Lavie at the Docks. Afterward, go see her in her house.
Go to the Colonel's Gym. That's it, you're done with Day 1!

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Looks good. Reminds me of Last Scenario but with better facepics.

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Last Scenario? *downloads* I'll check that out sometime...

SO! I just finished Love & War : Act I. Took me about a week to finish. (I have played the previous version though.)
I just finished it, and my conclusion is...
There are WAY Too many games to play, and not enough time to play them...
But, I have no regrets with this game. I'm going to remember the detailed world, the memorable characters and be craving more for a long time to come...

The creator and Team need to know there is an audience that want to see the story continue! So far only about 60 people, have downloaded it ;_; So, every person counts... and telling a friend about this game counts double D::

Anyway here are a few more screenshots I gathered to show you how far things have come from the previous version :

p156702-0-screen02.jpg
p156698-4-rpguntitled7.jpg

p156702-2-screen01oldthumb.png
p156702-3-screen01newthumb.png

p156702-4-screen02oldthumb.png
p156702-5-screen02newthumb.png

p156702-6-screen03oldthumb.png
p156702-7-screen03newthumb.png

And don't forget the dialogue changes!

p156702-8-screen04oldthumb.png
p156702-9-screen04newthumb.png

...Okay maybe that dialogue is just a joke xD But, you get the idea, the game has been refined.