Legacy of Ys

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:19 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well folks, Legacy of Ys was released for DS today. Ys is one of my favorite game series of all time and this is the first time since the release TG-16/Duo Release of Ys Books I & II that we've gotten both games together in a single package.

If you've been curious about the Ys series, but never knew where to start, this would definitely be a great place to start since this tells the first two adventures of the Ys series in their most updated form.

I just picked up my pre-order today, which came with a soundtrack and bunch of other nice packaged goodness from Atlus. They really know how to treat Ys fans and would-be Ys fans right I must say!

loy_big.jpg

-Thomas

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't have a DS though. *sigh*

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Fellow Georgian, I know not of your Ys, but I'll definitely check it out now that I've heard of it.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Ys is a fantastic series. But it doesn't seem to be a series for everyone.

Either people find it to be mediocre or they love it and want to play every game / version in the series. It also has fantastic music btw. : )

-Thomas

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Banned
...How fantastic?

You can go ahead and explain the whole series. I've got time.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM
"Huzzah!"
Damn, release this at europe plz XD

Dark Fact on the Music Disc is really lol there XD

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM
Banned
I looked up some of that Ys stuff... It looks pretty good. I'll either play older games on emulators or get this one.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I started with the Famicom versions first, but the hands down the best version of the first two Ys games is either the PC Ys I & II Complete which has a full English translation patch or that of the Ys Books I & II for TG-16 Turbo Duo or Wii's Virtual Console. The DS version is fun, but definitely not the prettiest looking I must say. The complete PC version of the game is so much nicer looking than the DS one.

-SkyeWelse

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM
Grumpy *****istrator
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Jay City;45971 said:
Damn, release this at europe plz XD

Dark Fact on the Music Disc is really lol there XD
Well one thing is certain, if it is released in Europe it will not be by Atlus as they have no such distribution system. Which means the whole thing would be down to which third party wants to take it on if any of them would do so. Currently there are no reports that anyone has chosen to do so and even if they did there would be a significant delay before any European release would be forthcoming.

However, as it is a DS title wouldn't the actual game be effectively region-free? Most previous handhelds have not had regional lockouts and I don't think the DS is any different, so a US copy should work the same on a European DS as an American one. You just need to work out a way of obtaining an American copy of the game.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM
Banned
Well then. Thank you.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I don't think the DS has ANY region lock-out whatsoever. So if you do order the U.S. version, it'll play on your European DS. Same goes for the terrible Ys Strategy game (That has long since been dubbed "Ys Tragedy") as it was only released in Europe, yet we can import it here in America and play it on an American DS.

-Thomas

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM
Banned
Why would anything have a regional lock-out?

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:42 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well, there's tons of stuff that have regional lock-outs. Just about every console system for the past eight years, for one. It seems the handheld systems are the exception to the rule.

-SkyeWelse

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:53 AM
Banned
But why though?

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM
Grumpy *****istrator
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
In the Dark Ages of videogames regional lockouts were there for a practical reason as due to differences in voltages around the world games on cartridges needed different resistance levels in order to operate with the correct power values.

Handhelds have always run off preset power supplies so regardless of media type used can keep the same resistance pattern across the globe.

For any console that does not use cartridges then the regional lockouts are pre-programmed into the consoles and they will prevent loading of a title outside their acceptable range.
The reason for this is because the games companies want to control releases by region, there is no longer any technical reason for it, the entire setup is as artificial as DVD regions and is done for similar reasons.

There could have been similar issues applied to handhelds if the companies involved demanded it, but they were always seen as peripheral to the main home consoles. Besides as handhelds are more likely to travel to other countries then being able to play a game you buy on your travels has greater pull than keeping the markets restricted.

One side-effect of this however, is that the region check is tied into the piracy check of the system so any device which bypasses one tends to bypass another. This has resulted in some of the console manufacturers losing lawsuits to prevent devices being sold on the grounds of piracy because it artificially restricts the import market.

Sony seems to be so sick of losing that they decided to make the PS3 region free, but in order to hold their previous victories this only applies to PS3 games and if the console is backwardly compatible then the regional lockouts for PS1 and PS2 games remain.
Whether this is just an experimental blip, or if Microsoft, Nintendo and even Sony copy the example with their next console will remain to be seen.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:40 AM
Banned
Wait, so PS3 games aren't regional, but PS2 and PS1 games ARE when PLAYED on a PS3?

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Yeah, I believe that is how it works still. Though this is the first I've heard of PS3 games not having regional lockout.

Another exciting form of regional lockout that I recently experienced with no avail of getting past is the country code IP lockout for various online MMORPGS. I was recently invited to receive a closed beta key for the new European release of Ys Online: The Call of Solum. Even though my account with KeyToPlay, the publisher, is activated, I can't log-in to the server because I've from the U.S. Believe me, I've tried everything under the sun to either scramble my IP or change it to a European proxy and to no avail, it's not happening. So that's yet another form of regional lockout. Hopefully a publisher here in America will decide to launch a U.S. release of Ys Online, because apparently I won't be playing it otherwise. : )

-SkyeWelse

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:08 AM
Banned
Well that's just plain awful. Why can't things work like they're supposed to?

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:34 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well, it's just a licensing thing. Only certain regions have the license to do what they will with the rights of releasing a game. It all boils down to money really. When you ever play a game that has horrendous voice acting and you wonder why they just didn't include a Japanese track along with the English one, it's because they'd have to pay extra for the rights of releasing the Japanese track in America, which makes makes everything more expensive. Some companies just don't want to or just cannot afford the overhead.

So I'm not upset with KeyToPlay. They don't have a choice as they are only responsible for releasing it in Europe and nowhere else.

-Thomas

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM
Grumpy *****istrator
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fire1052;46813 said:
Wait, so PS3 games aren't regional, but PS2 and PS1 games ARE when PLAYED on a PS3?
Apologies for pushing things off topic, but I thought I should explain this further:
PS3 games have regional encoding on the disc but the console itself does not block games for having the wrong regional encoding as it does for the earlier Playstation titles.

However, there can be a problem with downloadable content because in order to work the content downloaded must match the region of the disc itself.
Thus if playing a Japanese game in the US and you see something for it in the US Playstation Store and download it then it probably will not work (some applications are completely region free but they are exceptions and not a significant proportion.)
In order to get the content you would need to gain access to the Japanese Playstation Store and download it from there.