Lame Noobish Question

Apr 5, 2007 at 8:36 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hey guys. First I'd like to say that this is an awesome forum, dedicated to a really awesome game. Now, I have a very lame question, and I'm sorry if you've heard it a million times, but I couldn't find it in a search, so...

After playing with SW for awhile, I decided to start making a few of my own maps. (I'm making a really simple mod intended to push the platforming elements of this game to the limit.) After creating the first two, I decided to add a door in between. Now, here's the problem. Every time the room is entered (at the start of the game) the door automatically activates. I set the flag to "Acticate on Action". which I assumed would cause the door to activate when you press down in front of it, but instead it is automatically activating every time the map loads.

here's the door code:

<PRI<CNP0100:0000:0000
<SOU0011<FAO0001<TRA0096:0000:0034:0002

I know I am probably going to kick myself when I find the answer, but I just can't figure out where I've gone wrong.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:24 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
TooManyBullets said:
Hey guys. First I'd like to say that this is an awesome forum, dedicated to a really awesome game. Now, I have a very lame question, and I'm sorry if you've heard it a million times, but I couldn't find it in a search, so...

After playing with SW for awhile, I decided to start making a few of my own maps. (I'm making a really simple mod intended to push the platforming elements of this game to the limit.) After creating the first two, I decided to add a door in between. Now, here's the problem. Every time the room is entered (at the start of the game) the door automatically activates. I set the flag to "Acticate on Action". which I assumed would cause the door to activate when you press down in front of it, but instead it is automatically activating every time the map loads.

here's the door code:

<PRI<CNP0100:0000:0000
<SOU0011<FAO0001<TRA0096:0000:0034:0002

I know I am probably going to kick myself when I find the answer, but I just can't figure out where I've gone wrong.

Simple:
Why you use value 4000?! lol?
Tried to use a different? ;)

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:36 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, I figured it out. Apparently events will automatically occur until the script encounters the event

<END

This is an event at the starting point (which I failed to notice) that I'm assuming tells the game that the intro has ended. I had created a completely new starting point, and probably should have referred to the original first, but oh well...
I'm using 4000 because... well, i don't really have a reason. I just like that number, I guess = )

While I'm at it, I have another lame question. To activate an entity's FlagID, are you supposed to activate it just like any other flag (<FL+XXXX)? I tried to get an object to become invisible, but using this method I wasn't very successful. I ended up using <DNP instead, but I'm sure Flag ID's will come in handy eventually (invisible pathways, secret doors etc.)

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:52 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
to make something invisible based on a flag, first activate the flag via event (i'll use flag 100), using <FL+0100.
in order to make it invisible while you're still in the room, make sure to use <DNP0100. This deletes all entities with the 0100 flag in the room.
OK, to make it invisible forever, simply set its flag ID to 100 and check the "NPC is invisible if FlagID is set" or whatever it is, and it'll be invisible for the duration that the 0100 flag is set. this includes all entities tied to the event, which is why you'd want all your health caps to have different flag ID's becuase if they all had the same flagid and you set it, they'll all be gone.
i'm tired

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:05 AM
Thank you very much, Nator = )
That cleared everything up for me.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:42 AM
Hoxtilicious
TooManyBullets said:
I'm using 4000 because... well, i don't really have a reason. I just like that number, I guess = )

That's why it won't work ;)
You can't use values over 0999 and under 0050 because they are reserved for other things.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:21 PM
Hoxtilicious
Apr 8, 2007 at 1:56 AM
It won't work!
No, it's working just fine. I had to have an event to end the intro cutscene, that's all. It was causing all events on a map to be activated automatically.

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:57 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
That's why it won't work :eek:
You can't use values over 0999 and under 0050 because they are reserved for other things.
Uh, take a look at basically all the scripts in seriousface's hard mode mod. They use event numbers higher than 1000 (or 2000 or 5000), and they all work.

In fact, you could make an event
#GRAR
and it would work.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:16 PM
Hoxtilicious
o_o now im confused...