Keyboards

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I am interested in getting a new keyboard, and since (obviously) you are all smarter than me I would just like to hear your opinions on my choices. Also, feel free to leave what kind of keyboard you use or any recommendations on ones that I should consider getting.

Right now I am debating between two keyboards.
Razer's Lycosa Mirror special edition
Alienware's TactX keyboard

Thank-you in advance.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Get the cheapest one would be my suggestion.

They all work the same for me.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:36 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
why is this in the gamer's lo- oh, a computer keyboard, ok

the first one looks like it has a place to rest your hand when you have your fingers on the arrow keys, that's sort of important
uhhhh I don't know that either of them would be particularity better than the other, but check if one can have more keys pressed at the same time or whatever
based on the specs unless you're worried about moving a long way away from the screen I'd go with the first one

they're both the same price gir

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:39 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Seriously.
But what you should really do is make a typewriter into a keyboard.

Are those real?

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Member Title
thecrown said:
Are those real?
Yes.
sexplosive said:
check if one can have more keys pressed at the same time or whatever

That's called anti-ghosting. Both keyboards have anti-ghosting clusters around WSAD.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:54 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
sexplosive said:
they're both the same price gir

Then obviously they are too expensive and he should look into a cheaper keyboard.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:58 AM
Member Title
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Then obviously they are too expensive and he should look into a cheaper keyboard.

I already have a "cheaper" keyboard. I'm looking to upgrade.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:59 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cave Story said:
I already have a "cheaper" keyboard. I'm looking to upgrade.

Why though? Explain to me why you want a better keyboard, and then I'll be able to help you choose.

They both have keys on a board, what more do you want?

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:16 AM
Member Title
I usually type in low light, and both keyboards have illuminated keys. Even though I can type without looking at the keyboard, sometimes for games it can be difficult. Also, both keyboards have wrist supports, which my keyboard lacks. The anti-ghosting cluster is a nice feature, but I don't think that it influences my opinion on the keyboards. Whenever I wear ear peripherals, I have to hook it up to my desktop-- which can be awkward sometimes when I shift or look in one direction. The Lycosa has an audio input in the back, along with a usb input.
That is my list of reasons.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:33 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Weren't you going to buy obscenely expensive headphones too?
If you have so much extra cashmonies then you can just give them to me you know, I'll take very good care of them.

On the subject of keyboards, I can't even think of anything to say about them. Buy a keyboard with dvorak layout so you can type faster and confuse your friends.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:41 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I know you said this already, but yeah -- anti-ghosting and anti-key-blocking are really important for gaming of any sort.

http://uberoptions.net/logitech-keyblocking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)

For example, laptops often have a horrible case of key blocking. On my laptop, I'm unable to bomb while focused in Touhou (Shift+Z+X). This was such an annoying disadvantage that I had to remap Shift -> Caps Lock, Z -> A, and X -> S using GRebind whenever I started the game.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:46 AM
Been here way too long...
It's all about the three key binary keyboards - they have five buttons (three key is a bit of a misnomer. Douglas Adams partook in creating them):
- Key
- Push
- Pop

To type, you type the ascii code of the desired letter, and hit Key. If you want that key to be continuously pressed, you press push. You continuously press everything on your continue queue. To remove a key from the stack, you just pop (note that it operates on a queue, not a stack, so this takes out the FIRST pushed key, not the last).

The fancier ones even come with a display to show your continue queue.

Excellent for gaming. Even the luxurious ones are extremely compact (perfect for that micro gaming pc you've always wanted).

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:46 AM
Member Title
Noxid said:
Weren't you going to buy obscenely expensive headphones too?
If you have so much extra cashmonies then you can just give them to me you know, I'll take very good care of them.

On the subject of keyboards, I can't even think of anything to say about them. Buy a keyboard with dvorak layout so you can type faster and confuse your friends.

I wasn't REALLY going to spend 120$ on a headset -- I wouldn't use it enough. This isn't as expensive, and I would use it a lot more. As for the donation, if I find myself swimming in money then maybe. (One condition: You can't spend it on a hooker)

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:54 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Cave Story said:
(One condition: You can't spend it on a hooker)

The odds of that happening are extremly low. In fact, I'm going to ignore my usual insistence on statistical uncertainty and say that there's exactly zero chance of me spending money on a hooker.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
The odds of that happening are extremly low. In fact, I'm going to ignore my usual insistence on statistical uncertainty and say that there's exactly zero chance of me spending money on a hooker.

You'd spend it on multiple hookers, right?

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:13 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well yeah
They're more economical in bulk...

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:14 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
Well yeah
They're more economical in bulk...

They're the cheapest at Costco.

Everything is cheaper at Costco if you want at least 12.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:40 AM
/end
Get the Alienware one. And give me any extra money, I would spend it much more wisely than Noxid.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:31 AM
Been here way too long...
I play indie platformers on a netbook's keyboard that I had to remove the Page Up/Down keys from because they were too close to the arrow keys and kept getting in the way, and I'm also missing the 1 and 2 keys. And you know what? It's fun.
And this "anti-ghosting" thing. Ghosting is only a problem when you use arrow keys, because those count as two button presses. What games are you playing that use arrow keys liberally? I've only ever had this problem with one single-player game.
AND your illuminated keyboard. It really helps my typing if I can see, so that I don't dysty yu[omh ;olr yjod accidentally, but I never look at the keyboard when I play games. Mostly because I don't play a lot of RPGs with assloads of hotkeys, though.
I'm not saying you aren't allowed to have a different gaming style, but consider spending your parents' money on games instead of luxury luxury items.

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think what he really needs is the Power Glove to bring his gaming experience To The Max