Just started with Cave Story...

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I just recently got me a New 3DS XL and while waiting for my ordered physical games, I bought Cave Story on the eShop.

Took me about an hour to get utterly and completely hooked. I love it.

I found out that there ane many different versions, and I have downloaded and bought many of them already to get different playthroughs.

Obviously, I have downloaded the freeware version. I also ordered the 3D remake physical cart for 3DS, just for the heck of it. Finally I got Cave Story+ on Steam.

I tried all of these except for the physical 3DS remake (which I'm still waiting for to be delivered), and the one I'm doing my first playthrough on is the eShop version.

While the free version has it charm, I really like the controls and remastered graphics of the Steam release.

Any thoughts on this?

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Welcome to the forums. Yes Cave Story is a great game. Maybe you'll be modding soon. Maybe not.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:15 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yep, Cave Story is indeed an amazing game, and it's seen a lot of ports over the years. I do have a bit of a prejudice towards those ports, though, since NICALiS made their own translation that, admittedly, I probably wouldn't dislike so much if I weren't so used to the fan translation, but nonetheless has some very dry and flat ways of wording things. And don't even get me started on all of the glitches that manifest themselves in these ports.

Still, the 60 FPS, 2X res graphics, remastered soundtrack, and challenges are all cool features. The only port that I have is Cave Story+.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can't really put my finger on it, but something keeps me coming back to the game all the time. :)

I finish to play the eShop version through, then I'll probably give the 3D remake a try. Will it looks strange, I love the looks of the new graphics.

I'll try to get around to play the Steam version and the freeware version eventually. :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'd recommend you get around to the freeware version sooner rather than later, since then you'll be able to see the translation differences between the original fan translation and the official nicalis translation.

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I've been putting down some time on the eShop version (had to restart for different reasons). Still love it. Between playing it seriously on 3DS, I've been toying around with the Steam version and also the original freeware version.

I know the freeware version is supposed to have the best translation, but the differences I've seen so far are strange and minor. Huzzah. Ehm... what? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:21 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I have the steam version, Cave Story +, and i love it, especially remastered graphics, but i wanted to enjoy Cave Story ALL THE TIME, so i bought 3DS version, not the 3D one, but the original. And i love it so much, I am playing it everywhere!!! But it should have remastered graphics too :(
i really love the jukebox option! I am listening to the music very often. I just love Cave Story.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:28 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
But it should have remastered graphics too :(
The 3ds E-Shop version doesn't use remastered graphics due to the resolution of the 3DS family being way too small, and the music is also still the original to save memory space.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:45 PM
The 3ds E-Shop version doesn't use remastered graphics due to the resolution of the 3DS family being way too small, and the music is also still the original to save memory space.
yeah, i know. Maybe they'll release it on wii u and it'll have all this stuff.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM
War criminal
You would think that would've been done already back in 2012 or in 2013, when the Wii U was a new console, similarly to when CS3D was released for the 3DS when it was new.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Professional Whatever
who the fuck even likes cave story

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM
Sep 12, 2015 at 10:54 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
who the fuck even likes cave story

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I know there's much hate here for the cartridge 3D version, but I can't wait to play it. :)

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:30 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
who the fuck even knows what sarcasm is
no one on this site, evidently

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM
who the fuck even knows what sarcasm is
no one on this site, evidently
The problem is, that sarcasm is only visible when you're TALKING, not WRITING, so you should write something like (sarcasm) in the end of your post to inform everyone. Or just don't post anything like this maybe?

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The problem is, that sarcasm is only visible when you're TALKING, not WRITING, so you should write something like (sarcasm) in the end of your post to inform everyone. Or just don't post anything like this maybe?
If someone has been around here for years, and says "who the fuck even likes cave story" on this forum, you should be knowing that is sarcastic.