Just managed to finish hell (finally!)

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello all.

I just had to share my joy right now ;)

I had this game pointed out to me some time ago, and while I was sceptic at first (guess I'm too used to flashy grapics) I really got into it after a while. After finishing it normally I started poking around and found this place, and trough it I learned that there was a better ending and that you could save Curly.

Which I just had to do of course...

And after trying Hell like... I dont know, more then 150 times probobly, I finally did it and got to the see the best ending ;) which was worth it, so nice.

I thought it was a great game.

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:47 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Congrats! ;)
Well I like the normal ending most, I never cleared hell, thats sad, I think iam just too bad to clear it ;) I think I just suck... I tried it also maaaaaaany times...

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:16 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Congrats man, beating Hell is actually really easy after the first time. I remember dying on the way to Ballos (screw beating him, just getting to him was near impossible!) I got there by CAAAAREFULLY inching through the stage and killing enemies one by one. Now? I don't even stop at the bute chutes anymore, I just tear through the stage. :D

Out of curiousity, what was your time? I'd guess over 10 minutes if it's your first time clearing it, which isn't too bad.

Well done. :D

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
RuneLancer said:
Congrats man, beating Hell is actually really easy after the first time. I remember dying on the way to Ballos (screw beating him, just getting to him was near impossible!) I got there by CAAAAREFULLY inching through the stage and killing enemies one by one. Now? I don't even stop at the bute chutes anymore, I just tear through the stage. :D

Out of curiousity, what was your time? I'd guess over 10 minutes if it's your first time clearing it, which isn't too bad.

Well done. :D

Thanks you two!

My time.. hmm, I sadly must say I did not think about that. But it was probobly above 10, since I was very very careful.

Its funny how you learn and adapt after a while, the first few tries I could not even get past the first room o.O and finally getting to the second I was ready to give up and claim it impossible... yet slowly and surely you get the hang of it and slowly creep forward trough the trial. I remember I struggled for a long, long time to get to Ballos with any life left :p including having already used the Life Pot.

But yes, you learn and in the end I managed to get to him with full life and the pot, so it all worked out :D and I'm happy I did because it was sooooo satisfying.

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
Hehehe:

3 Bosses: The Easiest on way to hell, I already did them with Mechgun, 46 HP and without using life pot, now that kind of easy...

This time I use Spur and 50 HP (but I DONT use Lifepot!)

Misery: Was a JOKE for me ;P

Doctor 1: Sure that guy was a JOKE too ;P

Doctor 2: Really Anoyying one! I lost a few HP...

End Fight: Hmmm... Nicely harder than other ones :D

Hell:

Part I: Nicely Easy

Part II: OMG I HATE THIS PART! REALLY ANOYYING! GRR...!

Part III: This is a laaarge map, and also not that easy...

Heavy Press: Hmmm... Interesting, nice for get HP... But also not easy.

Ballos I: Hmmm, anoyying he hit me hard and I lost muuuch HP ;__;

Ballos II: *BOOOM* I died :D

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:21 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Misery is easy if you're an okay shot with the spur. Doctor 1 is easy once you learn how to jump in the center of the two crystals. Doctor 2 is like Toroko - Some people have a hard time dealing with his jumping, I particularly don't.

The end fight is usually hard because of Misery and Toroko. I suggest getting rid of Toroko first and then Misery, but make sure you use Misery to fill your health if it's low before getting rid of her. Dodging the Core is simple, since he only shoots on the floor or in the center.

The first part of Hell is just learning how to use your Booster, not many tips beyond filling your rocket launcher with all the experience in the room.

The second room gets easier once you realize that blocks stop hurting you once they hit the ground. Using this, you can anticipate a collision and delay a bit, letting you pass through those huge blocks harmlessly instead of trying to jump over them. My advice is to not stop instead of taking it slow and accurately.

The long hallway has a lot of places to get health, and I suggest getting them all. Stop at Bute pits to kill them before they screw you over. Use Curly's Nemesis for long shots, and make sure not to miss the wallbomb things lest you waste time waiting for them after you've finished fighting. DO NOT MISS THE MISSLES IN THE TOP OF THE AREA BEFORE HEAVY PRESS.

Heavy Press is easy once you learn his pattern. Basically equip the Spur, aim up, and let loose. Keep an eye out for the rolling eyes, and every so often shoot to the side to kill the butes that spawn. One thing you need to watch intently is his lightning gun. You see it glow, run and take care of Butes for a second or two.

Ballos first form should not hit you at all. Pound him with a fully charged Spur as soon as he puts his hand out, and then shoot him as you jump over his charge. Shoot up and run under him as he zooms back, and then pound him with Curly's Nemesis when he lands, and hop over the shockwaves. Rines, repeat. If he's not dead by the time he starts to fly, get under him and dump mad Spur up his butt until the lightning starts, then just run back and forth.

His second form is a bit trickier but still easy. Make sure to run once you see the target form around you. The kicker here is if you can get a fully charged Spur shot into the sweet spot just below the middle of his eyes. If you do, it will go THROUGH him and do way more damage than normal. Basically it's a game of running from him(Or boosting under him if he gets too close) and aiming charged shots at his eyes.

The third form you just need to run around the room with Ballos. Run away from him and put yourself in one of the gaps between the rotating eyes while he's on the bottom, all this while shooting to the sides. On the top, stay near his front and shoot while aiming up and running with him - make sure not to run too far or you'll be stuck under him.

Fourth form? This is where your charged up rockets come in hand. Equip the Spur and wait for the spikes to reach just a little left of the middle of the room, and then jump on them - they only do two damage. Then, while you're invincible, fly up into the eye on the left and keep walking into it - he can't hit you while you're there. Equip the rockets and his life should go down in less than two seconds.

I get an average of 7 minutes with this strategy, and I thank several speedrun videos for teaching me the different techniques. Although most of it's obvious, following a guide will probably help. :D

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:29 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Thanks for those tips.
I have also had difficulty beating hell, but these should knock down my time a bit. :D

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:12 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Congratulations Kerghan on finishing Hell for the first time. And you're right, it does feel very rewarding to finish off the final boss of the game and get a great ending.

By the way, Shining Phantom and Daniel G, have you taken a look at the guide I wrote for surviving the hell level? I wrote it from a standpoint of going through the stage and beating Ballos as carefully as humanly possible. It even has a transcript of all the dialogue and secret ending. It might help you learn some techniques for running through the level better and tips for beating Ballos.

http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/cavestorysecretstagefaq.txt

-SkyeWelse

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM
Hoxtilicious
Omose said:
The end fight is usually hard because of Misery and Toroko. I suggest getting rid of Toroko first and then Misery, but make sure you use Misery to fill your health if it's low before getting rid of her. Dodging the Core is simple, since he only shoots on the floor or in the center.

Hahaha lol, u sure that is Toroko? Toroko Died in Sand Zone... Or its just that, that Torokos Soul fly into Sue after She died? ;P

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:12 AM
"..."
Girl in skimpy bunny outfit, and only three female Mimigas. And this one isn't Pink. Sue me. :D

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:14 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Congrats on beating Hell, it's definitely satisfying.

Of course, winning the normal way is still pretty gratifying, too. Especially if you were like me and had a machinegun and *never* remembered to use the Booster.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:02 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Hmmm.... I got to balos's third form last night.
Knocked off all the eyes but one and then I managed to get stuck underneath him, losing my last 10 health. :D
So close, cause after that last eye, I'm sure I could have demolished him to nothing with the missiles.
And how on earth do you not use the booster?
It's so hard to keep flying straight with the machine gun, I allways bump into some sort of spikes...

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM
"..."
I think he means on a normal game, not a hard run.

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:18 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ahh, that'd make sense then...
Now that I actually thought about it, it wouldn't be possible to go through the last level with the machine gun only, because of the black wind.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:23 PM
The Bartender
@Daniel G:
Little trick - try to keep your health above 15 before getting to his last form. You can do a bit of damage to his eyes before he summons the butes, then dive into the spikes and shoot upwards as fast as possible (they only do 2 damage per hit - you should have no trouble beating him before you run out of health.)

Alternatively you can try to jump in his eye socket. Great spot for damage. :) That also works with his jumping form, but you have to be careful not to end up in the bats.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:44 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
RuneLancer said:
Alternatively you can try to jump in his eye socket. Great spot for damage. :) That also works with his jumping form, but you have to be careful not to end up in the bats.
Yea, that's how I finished his second jumping form. Except I wasn't careful and got yanked up into the bats. :)
I'm going to give it another couple dozen goes tonight.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:45 PM
"..."
I find just straight up dodging his second form easier. *shrug*

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:15 PM
The Bartender
It's much easier, but a bit slower. You can pretty much plow through him in one shot when he stops jumping if you fire fast enough into his socket with the blade 2 or, better yet, missiles.

On the other hand, it's easy to fly up into the bats and you won't have enough time to kill him with most weapons.

It definately makes the last form easier IF you can squeeze yourself in there. Best trick I found was to get hit by the spikes (2 damage) and to take advantage of the invulnerability to get in there.

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
From what I've seen, for the third form, getting in the eye is most definatly the best way to finish him off. On the third form, what weapon do you use to close all those revolving eyes befor he becomes vulnerable?

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:15 PM
The Bartender
The eyes become vulnerable shortly after he "explodes." At this point it only takes a few hits to break one - coupled with Curly's weapon you can do quite a lot of damage with just about any weapon. :)