Is it me, or is Toroko unusually similar to Iris from Mega Man X?

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:21 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I mean, let's run over the similarities, shall we?

1: They're both girls obviously.
2: They're nice, sweet and innocent.
3: They have older brothers who are of high importance in their respective races.
4: Said brothers either die or have already died.
5: You have to fight them later in their respective games.
6: They undergo a transformation before you fight them.
7: Their transformations are caused by unusual sources.
8: They both unfortunately die.
9: They're killed by a male robot.
10: Any other similarity between Cave Story and Mega Man X.

Also, how their deaths affect their respective fanbases are ironic: Toroko's death leaves a sad feeling on the Cave Story fanbase while Iris' death scene was turned into a meme by the Mega Man fanbase.

So what do you guys think? Is it just a coincidence or what?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:51 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Spoiler I know pretty much nothing about 99% of the Mega Man games but I'm a jerk and still wanna put in my 2c.

Female characters with these personalities are pretty common so I wouldn't really note it as a big point.

10: Any similarity between Cave Story and Mega Man X.
This might as well mean nothing if you're not even gonna go on what these similarities are, especially if these are just similarities in gameplay and such which don't really have any relations to the characters (unless you want to imply Pixel was inspired by MMX but this is the furthest hint I see here to that).
Honestly point 9 might as well be the only one that doesn't make this a comparison of common details and even then it's still not much, or at least that's how I feel about it.

Toroko's death leaves a sad feeling on the Cave Story fanbase
I honestly don't see this a lot and personally her death wasn't really that big of an event to me but that might just be me.

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
3: They have older brothers who are of high importance in their respective races.
I mean like, that's a pretty common character type to have when you're trying to create drama in a story without putting that much effort in.

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:43 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I mean like, that's a pretty common character type to have when you're trying to create drama in a story without putting that much effort in.
So in other words, lazy writing.

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That, or you're most likely overthinking this. Also, you don't fight Arthur like how you fought Colonel, 0/10

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:02 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
you don't fight Arthur like how you fought Colonel
That's not my point, though. My point is that they either die or have died. Plus there's the whole "high importance" similarity.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:18 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
This has already been addressed above, basic character writing.

this is also just basic story writing, using characters that have established importance is just..... incredibly normal in writing.

I'd like all this to just count as one point because honestly how could you NOT make all of these happen and still have a coherent story?

9: They're killed by a male robot.
I mean main characters of both games are robots so...... this isn't really anything outstanding?

Is it just a coincidence or what?
It's about as coincidental as characters being able to breath air in EVERY STORY WRITTEN EVERY OMG!!1!!1

Basic story telling elements between games with simple plot elements in them. It's not that that's bad though, tropes are tools to use. And both of these games used some of the same tools. I'm not one to speak about MMX since I haven't actually played it but I'm sure you could point out at least 100 differences between the stories so just finding like, 5 that are the same isn't all that big of a deal.