Import Own Orgs And Maybe Sue's Workshop Boss Error Fix!!!

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:06 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Wistil said:
It's been a little while since I've been here. A certain game, which will remain nameless for the sake of those who haven't been abducted by it, absorbed the last month or so of my life.

Anyways, I think you all will find this usefull in the whole Boss bug thing. While parsing through the map data in the exe I noticed an odd byte just before the map caption. It's always 0-9 and seems to coorespond to certain Boss fights!

As a test I removed the 8 from in front of the "Passage?" map (address 0x097abc) where the Heavy Press falls through the floor. Then I played through the boss fight above to find NO Heavy Press afterwards falling through the Passage? map.

Here's a list of which bosses these values seem to go with:
0 - no special boss
1 - Sand Zone Boss
2 - Balrog Frog
3 - Weapon X (also in Jenka's house during credits 'e_Jenk')
4 - Core
5 - Fish Boss
6 - Dragon Sisters
7 - Undead Core
8 - Heavy Press (also in Passage?)
9 - Ballos (also in Balrog escape from Ballos and Misery standing on balcony in credits)

I'm still working on getting an editor up and running but I've been pretty busy lately (outside of the game mentioned above). Hopefully this will help some people out once someone checks on the details. I will eventually, but again it will be a while.
I have just tested, and this is the answer.
Balfrog at least works correctly with this.

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:00 PM
"Huzzah!"
so whats the formula for finding the adress of the byte for a specific map

& will you have to keep fixing everything every time you add a new map

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:09 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
the hex offset is 0x093854 + (0xC8 * map number)
the first map is number 0

But an easier way is to use the hex editor to search for the map's name (tell it to look for an ascii string). Then go one to the left from where the name starts.
(On one of the original maps, you will have to search twice and modify the second instance. On a new map you only need to search once.)

Unfortunately, it looks like sue's workshop overwrites that byte with 0 every time you change map settings, so for testing purposes, the current two-exe setup is better.

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:27 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
upthorn said:
Unfortunately, it looks like sue's workshop overwrites that byte with 0 every time you change map settings, so for testing purposes, the current two-exe setup is better.

I might give writing a patched version a shot. Problem is, I'm VERY short on time (moving back to my appartment - no intarweb for a little bit) so I might not have anything out for a while. :/

Sounds like a fun challenge either way.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:45 PM
"Huzzah!"
upthorn said:
the hex offset is 0x093854 + (0xC8 * map number)
the first map is number 0

But an easier way is to use the hex editor to search for the map's name (tell it to look for an ascii string). Then go one to the left from where the name starts.
(On one of the original maps, you will have to search twice and modify the second instance. On a new map you only need to search once.)

what do you mean by search twice & modify the second instance does this explain why I just searched my glitched exe and found that the byte is already what is should be? if so where is the second instance of the byte for the origional maps?

Jul 1, 2006 at 7:59 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The problem is that Sue's Workshop misses the data in a byte when writing out the map data to the exe. Also once you've changed the number of maps the data no longer fits where it used to so Sue's Workshop then copies the map data to the end of the exe so all the data can fit but instead of clearing the old data it's left where it was.

This means that for original maps their data appears twice in the exe: once where it used to and once where Sue put it. You need to update the data that Sue added since that's the data the exe looks at for all the map info.

Jul 1, 2006 at 8:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
yes & I've figured out the formula for the byte in the data that sue's workshop copies to the end of the exe it's
1478836+(200XMap#) (in decimal)