FlagID: 0

SCRIPT:

<FLJ1000:0291<END

<MSGYa ready?<NOD<CLO
<FL+0361<CMU0004<CNP0400:0068:0002<BSL1000<END

Results:

* No boss bar shows up for fight
* Balrog shows up before I even hit the trigger,
* The trigger loops endlessly everytime I shoot at Balrog now.
* Balrog won't die anymore even though heaps of damage is taken off him

The setup is all wrong, because I don't know what the correct
set up is as this game is so HEAVY with relying on numbers...
I've tried over 100 times swapping the flags settings and numbers
around, I still cannot get it to work the way it should work....

You have been playing a mind game of hide and go seek with me,
instead of telling me what I really need to know to get
this quickly fixed which would've only taken just a few minutes
of my time instead of making me waste time spending hours
going around in circles :) Enough games.

What are the correct settings?

you haven't posted the full picture of what's going on

*what event triggers flag 1000 & what is event 0291?

*what does flag 0361 do?

*what is NPC 400?

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:01 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ahhh, but now, you've gotten yourself more accustomed to the scripting language. I'd say you've hardly wasted time, more like made an investement that'll pay off in due time. :)

Nice work!

Your Balrog NPC has the right flags. However your script needs a bit of work.

The HV trigger calls event 290. This event checks if flag 1000 is set and calls 291 (which doesn't exist in your script) if that's the case, otherwise it just ends and does nothing. You want to put your BSL and such in there, after the FLJ instruction, and make sure you also have a FL+1000 in there so that next time you trigger the HV trigger, flag 1000 will be set and it'll jump to 291 instead of starting the fight again (291 should be an event which does nothing more than <END.)

(At this point I had to leave to deal with stuff at my appartment... sorry if coherence seems a little shaky for a short bit, I've gotta get myself back into this issue. ^^; )

You also have to change Balrog's sprite from 0 to his real ID through the event, otherwise what's telling the game to keep him still until the fight starts? He's just a regular enemy as are all bosses - the BSL command makes it otherwise, but you could have an army of Balrogs as regular enemies wandering around. Make his sprite 0, change it to the explosion sprite (forgot the IDs, sorry..), then change it to Balrog's sprite. Presto-change-o, the boss is here and ready to be fought. :p

Balrog's trigger is set to fire after you beat him. He doesn't die automatically. You'll have to change his sprite to 0 (or outright remove it) and set a switch stating that, yep, you've beaten him, so that next time around you can tell the game not to repeat the fight.

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:25 PM
"Huzzah!"
RuneLancer said:
make sure you also have a FL+1000 in there so that next time you trigger the HV trigger, flag 1000 will be set and it'll jump to 291 instead of starting the fight again (291 should be an event which does nothing more than <END.).

you don't have to have an event with just <END just make it jump to event 0000 insted

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:00 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I am not at the advanced level of being able to interpret and compile all your confusing jargon into script language yet !!! Here you are treating me like someone that's in university instead of someone that's still in kindergarden and still learning some of the ropes on how to understand this script language and only knows a few basic things, but compiling my own scripts
from advanced instruction is NOT ONE OF THEM and that is why I needed to see script examples to show me how things in the scripts are put together step-by-step. What is wrong with you. People write step-by-step tutorials to explain how things are put together. Don't you use the Kis principle? (KEEP IT SIMPLE) So why don't you come down to my level for once instead of being way up there trying to talk to me down from your level....

.Now If you won't show me the solution at my own level and show examples of the correct settings to explain them along with your confusing university lectures then I'm not interested in hearing anymore university.

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:22 PM
The Bartender
Technika, that's about as simple as it gets. With all due respect, you might want to try to understand what you're doing instead of blindly copy-pasting things - I've been using nothing but instructions in the tsc file and event numbers you've listed yourself in my post specifically to make it simpler.

If you can't be bothered to try to understand what others are telling you, I can't be bothered to help you further with this issue. I gave you the exact way of doing this using terms you've used yourself in your other posts (trigger, flags, some script commands...) I'm not going to give you the exact script to make this thing work, especially if it's just going to make you ask for the same kind of answer next time you want to do something.

This is why I hold so strongly onto my beliefs of not handing out answers on a silver platter... Sorry man, but I'm done posting in this thread. Best of luck, you'll get it working eventually, I'm sure.

Jul 5, 2006 at 1:57 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Pride leads only to arrogance.
And I don't like that. I like
people who are humble,
cooperative without giving me
a hard time about it.

Jul 5, 2006 at 2:09 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Too often it's people like you who bitch when they don't get the prepackadged answer that they want. Instead of whining about how Rune's been so horrible to you, why don't you try to learn how to fix your problem? That way, you'd have your problem fixed and have learned something, rather than have your "pride" and still have a problem.

Jul 5, 2006 at 2:34 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
He shows us how to edit in the hacks, yet won't show us any of the script
settings that I asked for to see how it's done in the script so I can quickly
correct it and continue sorting out all the other problems like with the messed up
sprites....

Now THAT is a double standard and that is why I don't accept
his belief about silver platters nonsense. A load of rubbish.

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:16 AM
The Bartender
The difference is that nobody asks me how to make those hacks. I'm not going to go ahead and ask people "Hey guys, I know how to make Quote drown progressively instead of instantly... but you have to try to figure out how first! Here's a few lines to get you started..."

On the other hand, when someone asks a question, I expect it's because they want to learn. In fact, I want them to learn so that they won't be stuck the next time around and will be able to progress.

And if you still call that a double standard, meh, what do I care? This is the internet. ;) Who gets worked up over the internet anyways? Or why should I worry how you feel about my ideals when I don't even know you, mate?

Cheers man. Best of luck with your hack!

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I won't worry about trying to configure the boss fight bar anymore, it's not really that important, so I can use SNP command instead to spawn Balrog to make things easier.

However, I have found a workaround of the indestructible NPC bug that sometimes crops up with the NPC insert. As soon as the insert function on Sue starts putting indestructible enemies into the map, then I have to just del those corrupt NPC's and then click on the blue arrow and then click on a good NPC that's not affected by the bug and then switch into the "many NPC's" mode and start pasting..

But The only thing of major concern to me now is fixing up the messed-up sprites in my custom stages because messy sprites ruin the game.

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:44 PM
The Bartender
Judging from the description of your problem, the "invincible NPC" bug is not a problem with Sue's editor at all. You're setting a flag or property of some sorts on those entities and forget about it. This is why picking a "correct" entity works: they don't have the flag set, seeing as their properties get copied. I suggest you have a look at just what you're inserting in your maps.

As for the messed up sprites, this has already been covered. Set the proper sprite sets in the proper order in your map properties like you've been told before and it will work.

My hack not only has custom maps, it even has custom entities with their own scripts and different blitting rects. If there were a problem in Sue's Workshop, I'm quite certain that such non-standard entities would trigger it incessantly. Revise the properties of the entities you add and of the maps you're working with - the problems lay there.

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:34 PM
"Huzzah!"
yeah you probably have flag 0x200 set