Image Edition: (C)Pixel doesn't work!

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:13 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'm editing the item pictures and title, but it just pops an error.

And i've added (C)Pixel at the end of them, and it pops an error.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:34 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
What program did you use to add it to the end?

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:50 PM
UltraEdit32.

Maybe it's just the size too.

The item pic's edited version's Only 5KB, and the unedited one 17KB.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:29 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You used more than 256 Colours? Are yyou sure u used a real BITMAP?

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:31 PM
I've made it with Paint.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:33 AM
The picture has to have a certain pallet, certain size, and certain contents to work right. It's a real pain to make a sprite work in cave story.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
you can't make .pbm images smaller because then the game will try to load images that are beyond the bounderies of your new smaller edited image

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:33 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Palette Editing!

This reminds me, I found something that may be useful to you. If you have a copy of Adobe Photoshop, open the PBM file you're editing. Click on the main menu and go to Image>Mode>Color Table and you'll be able to edit the file's palette. You'll have to change the file's extension from PBM to BMP (and back again when you put it back into the Npc graphics directory), but it works fine.

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:11 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
jeffreymaher9@hotmail.com said:
I'm editing the item pictures and title, but it just pops an error.

And i've added (C)Pixel at the end of them, and it pops an error.

here's your problem.

You need
"(c)pixel", NOT
"(C)Pixel".

Case matters.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:30 AM
Nono, in one of the files i've checked, it's (C)Pixel. I wonder why that thing doesn't work.

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:09 PM
It is indeed "(C)Pixel".

How many colors do you have in your color table? None of the original game graphics files have had more than 16 colors (though the files don't have to all be the same 16 colors), so I've been sticking to that limit and haven't had any problems. I've also been taking all colors that I use from the original graphics files.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:43 PM
"Huzzah!"
caveoholic! said:
you can't make .pbm images smaller because then the game will try to load images that are beyond the bounderies of your new smaller edited image

this is your problem!

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:53 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There are also files who uses 256 COLOURS!!!

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:53 PM
Actually, a smaller file (in dimensions) will just result in garbage graphics, not a game crash.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:59 PM
"Huzzah!"
NO if the game tries to load an image on a pbm file that you have made smaller the game will load nothing because it's reffering to somthing that doesn't exist anymore and that causes the game to crash I've done it before and the same thing happened to me!

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:11 PM
I've caused the game to reference graphic regions (both sprites and map tiles) outside the bounds of the graphic file used on several occasions, with edited and unedited graphics files. The result was garbage graphics. The only time the game has ever crashed due to graphics was because there was something wrong in the format (color table, lack of "(C)Pixel", etc.).

Besides, we don't even know if Jeffery resized the image when he was editing it. A reduction in file size could also be caused by a glitch in the hex editor, a change in formatting, a reduction in how many colors are used, and other factors.

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
well when I tried it the game crashed I checked everything else & found it to be caused by me shrinking the image

so I don't know how you got it to show garbage graphics

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:46 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
My guess would be that he's either

1) Saving as a pbm file, instead of saving as a bmp and renaming
or
2) Renaming the original pbm files to bmp before editing, and not renaming them back afterwards

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:39 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
While we're at it, I'll inject this-- if you save/convert in the wrong color type, it's not irreparable, but you may mess with the palette colors, resulting in things like Curly having monochromatic orange hair.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:59 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I'm also having trouble with image editing, I'm trying to edit MyChar.pbm, and I add the (C)Pixel at the end of the string with wordpad, but all I get is garbled pixels.
Am I supposed to be editing the range to pull the sprites from as well?