Ideas for a Mod Contest

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think a mod contest speeds up the mod making process. More mods - more fun. The Hell Mod contest had brought many excellent mods to existence. Any ideas for a new contest?

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Guxt mod contest?
Ironhead style mod contest?
BOTH?

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:06 PM
Hyperbolic
"Make a mod quickly" contest? A mod contest where the max. time of mod development is 24 hours?

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM
"Huzzah!"
Quantity=/=Quality

I have a few ideas for mod contests.

1) Mod Remix
With permission from the other mod makers, the contest has the contestants use various scenes from past mods, and connect them through some kind of plot-line. Now, they could have it like the Final Fantasy plotline, with different things going on at the same time, showing how much of a far reach the central conflivct has.
Or, they could try to link the scenes into one single plot with only one the one character having to go through the scenes.
Whoever pulls it off best wins.

2) Music Remix Mod
The contestants use the original plot-line to make the mod. Everything stays the same except for the soundtrack. The contestants must do a remix of each of the original soundtracks for the appropiate areas, such as a Last Battle remix during the Undead Core and final Form Ballos fight, or when you're at First Cave and Gestation plays.
Whoever is able to best remix the soundtrack for the mod using only ORGanya player is the winner.

3) New Music Soundtrack Mod
Similar in the last mod about only the soundtrack changing, the only change is completely changing the soundtrack altogether. The contestants use ORGanya to make a new soundtrack to replace the old songs with what they think fits with the area.
However, the old songs can only be replaced, they cannot be in the mod anywhere in the game (including the title screen), and they cannot add to the total amount of soundtrack songs. There can only be a total of 36 songs.
Whoever is able to pull it off best wins.

4) The Fourth Ending
The contestants have to add a Fourth Ending to the mod. Getting to it should be difficult but satisfying. There is a pretty broad reach for this mod contest, so there aren't many limiting things to it.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dunk

Seriously though I don't even know about having another contest with the way the interest in the first one has tailed off. If there's no interest in contests then even a second one will prove far less productive. A lot of modders are busy with their main projects at the moment, and so most of their focus will be concentrated on these. The HMC was nice and refreshing, but now people don't even have the time to finish it off, much to my despair :D

Ideas are cool though. Ones like JetHwak's will I think be the most productive, because they allow for freedom of ideas without being too large in scope. Tying into the original CS makes things easier too (e.g. no new artwork needed). For example, @ Mike73:
1) I don't think basing a mod contest on current mods is a good idea. A lot of people dislike having their own work used, it seems lazy, etc.
2) & 3) There are only a handful of people on the site who make their own music, and that is a massive amount of work to ask for the few who could do it. Even having a remix contest that only needed one submission would be somewhat limited, and most have already been working on remixes for the new Remix Project anyway.
4) I'm not sure how one would go about this without forcing people to play through a large portion of the original game, which wouldn't encourage much creativity and which I couldn't ask people to play to vote for.

If there are no objections then I was going to let the thread I linked be the next contest, but I feel like I should wait at least half a year (after this one's finished) to allow people's interests to re-ignite.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM
Hyperbolic
@DT I vote for JetHawk`s contest too. Mebbe unlock that tread, there`s nothing to lose.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:04 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'd like to suggest having a "Metal Slug" contest: simply, a mod with token plot and no spikes, only enemies and levels. What do you call that genre... "Arcade Platform Shooter"?

Anyways, the good idea with that is that you more or less only need to resprite a few things and then start designing levels.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Will the winner recieve a prize?

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM
Hyperbolic
@ WoodenRat: In Hell Mod contest wasn`t a prize, but the community always can agree upon some prize for a future contest...

@ All: Cave Story Parody contest?

May 5, 2010 at 3:16 AM
"Huzzah!"
That would be...fun, to say the least.