How was the Floating Island created?

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
that's also completely unrelated to the topic of this thread and pretty much stated in Cave Story iirc.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I`m guessing that the core created it before any of the events in cave story happened.But seeing as anything can usually happen in CS, you never know.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I believe Kanpachi or Mahin created the island.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ghost in the clinic said:
I`m guessing that the core created it before any of the events in cave story happened.But seeing as anything can usually happen in CS, you never know.
As it was mentioned before, the core keeps the island floating in the presence of Ballos, but does not actually make the island float. Otherwise the island would continue to fall after Ballos was defeated.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Then maybe the island used to be on the surface, but that's just a crazy theory.I'm interested in the subject

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:04 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Ghost in the clinic said:
Then maybe the island used to be on the surface, but that's just a crazy theory.I'm interested in the subject

It's possible, but the Outer Wall shows at least some evidence of intelligent design. Of course, the various metal bits poking out may have been added later.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:33 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm guessing that the floating island was originally part of a mountainous land, and after absorbing enough magical power, caused the ground surrounding it to float into the air.

How Ballos is causing it to fall or the Core helps keep it up is beyond me, especially when the result of both of them being defeated results in the island staying in the air. Maybe the Mimigas actually live on Mobius. LOL

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
magic9mushroom said:
It's possible, but the Outer Wall shows at least some evidence of intelligent design. Of course, the various metal bits poking out may have been added later.

Maybe those metal bits were part of an existing framework within the ground that was then ripped up when the island left.

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
magic9mushroom said:
There were many humans occupying the island that died trying to defend the Mimigas during the red flower war. The Cthulthu are most probably the ancestors of the few survivors of that incident. Those human occupants were also likely to be the source of much of the technology found on the island. Also it is very likely that those humans came to the island somewhere between the reigns of Annachponae and Miakid.

T3mp0 said:
How Ballos is causing it to fall or the Core helps keep it up is beyond me, especially when the result of both of them being defeated results in the island staying in the air.
Simple really. Ballos is always trying to make the island fall, the core stops him from doing so, and neither are related to the island's ability to float.

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM
"..."
andwhyisit said:
Simple really. Ballos is always trying to make the island fall, the core stops him from doing so, and neither are related to the island's ability to float.

Alternatively:

The Core holds the island up, with enough force to counter gravity AND Ballos.

After Ballos is destroyed, Jenka or Misery holds the island up.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Let's not be biased...

That doesn't even really make that much sense, considering Misery at one point shows how she could care less what happens to the Island, and if either one was wielding that sort of power, you'd think they'd at least use it to threaten whoever opposed them {Quote/Doctor}, if not simply use whatever power they use to keep the Island up to crush whoever gets in their way, which neither does.

Remember, the best theory is the one that requires the least amount of assumptions.
With Misery/Jenka holding the Island up, we'd have to assume they had the power to do that, assume there was some reason preventing them from using it to protect themselves better, and also open up the problem of how the Island got up in the sky in the first place, having to guess if either Jenka or Misery made the Island in the first place, etc.

The Island floating by itself, with Ballos dragging it down and the Core countering him, makes the most sense. It really only requires one assumption, that the Island floats on it's own.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM
"..."
Re: Let's not be biased...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
That doesn't even really make that much sense, considering Misery at one point shows how she could care less what happens to the Island, and if either one was wielding that sort of power, you'd think they'd at least use it to threaten whoever opposed them {Quote/Doctor}, if not simply use whatever power they use to keep the Island up to crush whoever gets in their way, which neither does.

Remember, the best theory is the one that requires the least amount of assumptions.
With Misery/Jenka holding the Island up, we'd have to assume they had the power to do that, assume there was some reason preventing them from using it to protect themselves better, and also open up the problem of how the Island got up in the sky in the first place, having to guess if either Jenka or Misery made the Island in the first place, etc.

The Island floating by itself, with Ballos dragging it down and the Core countering him, makes the most sense. It really only requires one assumption, that the Island floats on it's own.

The issue with "the Island floats naturally" is that it implies a property of the island not ever hinted at and nullifies all of the many statements that the Core is what's holding the island in the skies.

Oh, also, on further thought, my theory doesn't require Ballos to be pulling the Island down at all, which removes another "unnecessary entity".

Refined theory:

Core holds the island up (at least 4 sources for this).
After Ballos is destroyed, Jenka no longer has to maintain the Seal Chamber (That Jenka sealed him is known, that this requires continuous expenditure of effort is postulated but reasonable given that Ballos's magic "still rages out of control even now") and/or Misery decides to be nice (known) and either or both holds the island up (postulated).

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
What's a theory without holes?

magic9mushroom said:
The issue with "the Island floats naturally" is that it implies a property of the island not ever hinted at and nullifies all of the many statements that the Core is what's holding the island in the skies.
Uh, that's what I said.
It requires that one assumption, that the Island can float by itself naturally.
And it doesn't nullify the Core part, if you had read me right. The Core does keep the Island afloat, because without it Ballos would cause it to sink to the ground and end his suffering one way or another.
As andwhy stated, the Island would basically have a neutral buoyancy
, with Ballos applying a negative and the Core applying a positive.
magic9mushroom said:
Oh, also, on further thought, my theory doesn't require Ballos to be pulling the Island down at all, which removes another "unnecessary entity".
Only because you replace it with "Jenka's too busy with Ballos to hold the Island herself.", basically leaving him in the same spot. Which in itself asks how that would work.
magic9mushroom said:
Refined theory:

Core holds the island up (at least 4 sources for this).
After Ballos is destroyed, Jenka no longer has to maintain the Seal Chamber (That Jenka sealed him is known, that this requires continuous expenditure of effort is postulated but reasonable given that Ballos's magic "still rages out of control even now") and/or Misery decides to be nice (known) and either or both holds the island up (postulated).
By that logic, shouldn't Ballos have gotten free much sooner when Balrog beat up Jenka for the warehouse key? She was too weak to even stand. How would she still be able to maintain such control over Ballos' vast powers?
And are you also saying that Jenka created the entire Island herself? Your theory doesn't leave any room to explain how it came to be, so unless Jenka's also able to extend her life expectancy {That was in another theory, though}, that doesn't explain the Island's origins, it's pointed out through-out the game that it's been floating for a long time...

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Pirate Member
Re: What's a theory without holes?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
By that logic, shouldn't Ballos have gotten free much sooner when Balrog beat up Jenka for the warehouse key? She was too weak to even stand. How would she still be able to maintain such control over Ballos' vast powers?
you're assuming that, in being too weak to stand, she's totally drained, when in fact it may be taking everything else she has to stop Ballos from escaping.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:01 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Flogging a dead horse

Malpercio said:
you're assuming that, in being too weak to stand, she's totally drained, when in fact it may be taking everything else she has to stop Ballos from escaping.
She got physically pummeled by Balrog.
That's has to do something to Ballos' chamber, if Jenka is supposedly having to keep constant control over it.
Otherwise the theory becomes built on pixie dust logic. Jenka has all this power that she never ever shows in the entire game, even puts on the entire frail old woman outlook to fool everyone? There's nothing to back any of that up.
Yes, she sealed Ballos, but that's the only thing the game says. She's obviously aged since then, and there has been nothing to show that she's kept even a fraction of that power.
So, is there anything to back this theory up?
And saying she's having to use it all just to hold up the Island, and that's why we never see her use any magic, still falls under that pixie dust rule, nothing anywhere even remotely points to it.
By using such logic, we could say the Core is filled with robotic monkey-men, that's why it has all those eyes. We can't ever actually see inside the Core, so you can't say that's not possible.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:17 AM
Pirate Member
Re: Flogging a dead horse

and is that not the beauty of Cave Story? anything not stated in the game is free for us to decide.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:50 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Dodging the questions is not the same as answering

I see, that's your answer when you can't start backing the theory...?
While I don't disagree with that, the best theories actually have some backing to them.
The true beauty would be when a theory is perfectly crafted, without any logic holes or anything. Not that that happens often, if ever.
You can go ahead and believe what you want, but if you're gonna post it in the theories section, better be prepared to defend it. It's a discussion, after all.
My questions still stand, and the most important of all, the topic of this thread:
If Jenka/Misery truly hold the Island up, how, then, did it first come to be?

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:34 AM
"..."
Re: Dodging the questions is not the same as answering

VoidMage_Lowell said:
If Jenka/Misery truly hold the Island up, how, then, did it first come to be?

This question exists in your theory as well, unless you assume floating islands randomly self-generate (which is a pretty staggering assumption, I'll note).

Do you agree that the island clearly appears to be heavier than air? We get to see a fair amount of it, and the amount of helium or hydrogen required to hold up rock would preclude the island being solid (and, notably, we don't see a helium balloon several thousand times the island's size being dragged down with it). To get a "naturally floating island", therefore, you must propose a heretofore-unmentioned source of magic.

You also have to discard the stated in credits fact that the Core is the "island's heart" - this strongly implying that it was NOT created after the island was.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Ah, Merriam-Webster...

magic9mushroom said:
This question exists in your theory as well, unless you assume floating islands randomly self-generate (which is a pretty staggering assumption, I'll note).

Do you agree that the island clearly appears to be heavier than air? We get to see a fair amount of it, and the amount of helium or hydrogen required to hold up rock would preclude the island being solid (and, notably, we don't see a helium balloon several thousand times the island's size being dragged down with it). To get a "naturally floating island", therefore, you must propose a heretofore-unmentioned source of magic.
So I take it you don't have any answers for your theory, as well...?

Now, we've ran into this problem before, you're assuming Cave Story's world is exactly like ours.
The rock could be lighter than air, we can't tell. The Island itself could be magic, no idea.
But I can tell you one thing, it's not Misery or Jenka holding it up, as stated previously.
So the only thing that really makes sense otherwise is that the Island either has it's own neutral floating-ness, or something unknown powering it.

magic9mushroom said:
You also have to discard the stated in credits fact that the Core is the "island's heart" - this strongly implying that it was NOT created after the island was.
Pardon me, but how exactly does that imply age? Because, it doesn't.
Heart could either mean 'the central or innermost part : center' or 'the essential or most vital part of something'.
The former obviously would fit because it's, you know, called the Core. Which would also be the center of an object. The latter would be true as long as Ballos existed, as well.
So no, that doesn't imply it was created when the Island was.

May 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM
/end
Re: Ah, Merriam-Webster...

The island might be the leftovers of the kingdom Ballos wiped out. Nothing suggests it is, but it would sort of make sense.