How was the "Assembly Compendium" created?

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How does one document something like "Assembly Compendium" ? Is there a systematic way to do it. Does one go through the assembly code line by line from start to finish? How did they figure the NPC offsets? How did they find out that the maxhealth is stored in the address 0049E6D0 ? How did they know that the function located at address 40ac90 is responsible for "create_animated_effect" ? I'm interested in learning how to reverse engineer games. Any tips would be helpful!

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:29 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
You use Olly dbg and start tinkering with things, make Parts of code CALL these functions and see what happens. Also having a RAM checker can help you find things and the like
Also purposely corrupting code (like a function can be a interesting way to see exactly what's part of the game you're messing with)

Those who did it like RuneLace and S.P blazed the trail so people like Nodix and Carrotlord could make editors that could use this precious data and modify it to each modders liking.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You use Olly dbg and start tinkering with things, make Parts of code CALL these functions and see what happens. Also having a RAM checker can help you find things and the like
Also purposely corrupting code (like a function can be a interesting way to see exactly what's part of the game you're messing with)

Those who did it like RuneLace and S.P blazed the trail so people like Nodix and Carrotlord could make editors that could use this precious data and modify it to each modders liking.

Cool. I can see how calling different functions to see what they could do could be helpful. I just tried corrupting a function by replacing its first instruction with RETN and it definitely shows me exactly what i'm messing with, so tnx for the tip :)

What is a RAM checker by the way? Any existing tools that you recommend?

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As well if you have experience with these things you can start to notice patterns in the code that let you make informed guesses about things. A good debugger/disassembler helps here too to show you the structure of the code.

But mostly guess and test is the methodology used. It takes time. Helps if there are a lot of people working on it at once, that document up there still spans about three years of work by multiple people.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:29 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
I think this is my favorite post of the year now. Especially "Nodix".

I am going to restrict myself from making post 5 minutes before bedtime.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I am going to restrict myself from making post 5 minutes before bedtime.
Oh come on BLink, you could have played it cool and acted like that was on purpose. At first I thought you were making a clever portmanteau of RuneLancer and Lace, and that Nodix was a mix of Noxid and some other hacking pioneer that wasn't obvious to me.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:26 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Considering that I thought RuneLacer and Lace were the same person I don't deserve to not be made a fool of at this point.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:00 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yay. After more googling and watching videos, I finally understand how some of the memory addresses were derived. CheatEngine (quite impressed with its functionality) and MemoryHackingSoftware seems to be quite useful.

So I guess the core idea is to change values in the game and search for these changes in the memory (whether in terms of specific value, values decreased/increased, or values changed/unchanged) .