Hello Everyone / I need help D:

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
As this is my first post on this forum allow me to introduce myself :
My name is David (you can call me Glumbatsch), I am 18 years old and I am from Germany.
I picked Cave Story (+) up in the Humble Weekly Sale (https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly) and so far I am loving it!!!

Obviously I am still in my first playthrough at the moment and I think I might need some help.
Currently I keep dying to the Doctor (on original difficulty) and I feel a little helpless ^^, so after billions of deaths I decided to look the fight up on youtube ...
What I found was that most people (everyone I've seen) are using what seems to be the "Spur" , while I am using the machine gun.
So I did a little bit of research and I eventually found this thread : http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/5404/
An I have come to the conclusion that I might have missed a few things here and there ^^
My robot is currently sitting on a max HP of 45 and is using 4 weapons : MG, Missile, Fireball and the Blade (so if I understood everything I am missing out on the "snake" and the "bubbler").

Then I saw the people dashing left and right midair (in the videos of the boss-battle), which I also can't do...

So here are my questions : 1.How do I "dash" ?
2. Do you have any tips on how to beat the doctor with my gear?

thanks for any help in advance -Dave

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Welcome. This "dash" that you are seeing is
the Booster 2.0, an upgrade to the Booster 0.8 that you can get by jumping over Booster in the Labyrinth.
Beating the Doctor is definitely possible with your gear. I'd recommend using the Level 2 Blade and mashing the shoot button.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Don't worry about not having the Spur; the Machine Gun is perfectly viable for this fight. The Snake is unobtainable for you, as it is obtained by trading your Polar Star and Fireball to Chaba, (the cockroach guy in the shop in the Labyrinth) meaning you haven't really missed it. The Bubbler, or Bubbline as it's called in CS+, unfortunately has been missed. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, though, it's only rarely used in boss fights. As Tpcool suggested, use the level 2 Blade - the level 3 has a much lower DPS. Then maybe you'll get through the Doctor!

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you both for the quick tipps^^
So far I have tried using the blade and I have beaten the doctor twice ^^ (so that works all right)
I am still having issues with the next one where you fight the core, Misery and Sue at once, but I'll figure that out myself (hopefully)

As for the Bubbler and the Booster 2.0, I will keep an eye out for them on my next playthrough.

Thanks again - Dave

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
That the Booster 2.0, I would say restart your game, ignore the MG offer, ignore the snake offer, ignore booster (ignore common-sense).The jump may be hard but its possible,go to the core room get the tow-rope, beat the core,rescue Curly, go to the waterway cabin, go to the computer, and read on how to drain her, pick her up again beat IornHead. Go back to Arthur's house get the booster 2.0 from booster. Go back to the first cave, get the spur from the gunsmith.Go to the plantation have one of the snake people make you get the Ma-pignon for Curly. Go back to the graveyard, go to the door you couldn't go through before. Answer Yes,no,yes,yes,no. Go to your inventory read the mushroom badge, fight Ma-pingnon beat him, go back to Curly feed her it, she will give you some back-story. Go to Sue's Mom, do the fetch quest, get the booster back from her go to the Last-Cave (hidden). Beat the 3 boss'es. (If you've done all this the Prefab house door should be open). Go to Hell in the prefab house, and Beat 5 boss'es, and The End.

Also the life capsules are here: http://www.cavestory.org/guides-and-faqs/life-capsules.php

In fact: isn't one of the rules is that you should have gotten the best ending?

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:37 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
No, on your first playthrough, you're supposed to get the normal ending. It kinda motivates you to want the best ending, and it's just how you're supposed to experience it on your first playthrough.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
@ColdCallerloppy: WOW, it seems that I missed a LOT^^

I will definetly go for a second playthrough with the spur and booster 2.0, perhaps even a third one with the snake... we'll se^^
At the time I actually managed to beat the game (without hell) and I got the ending where the island falls and Kazuma (was that his name) saves sue and me.
Right now I am looking at the end screen and kinda don't wanna press escape and go to the menu because "all unsaved progress will be lost" D:^^
anyways thanks a lot and I am looking forward to hell and some other endings ^^
peace out

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
There's nothing after that, so yeah, you have to press escape.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The Bubbler is in the assembly hall (Mimiga Village) fireplace. Use the Jellyfish Juice to get to it.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:17 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
*Reads everything*
You should honestly keep this keep stick'd so people know where to get stuff in this game, and how to get the best ending.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:38 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
no, we shouldn't

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:48 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
...aren't there a good amount of walkthroughs online too? ^^;

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:56 AM
Hoxtilicious
I really apologize for the german guy that started this thread, I don't know what's wrong with him (who the heck is even called Glumbatsch?!). This is all awful. Please don't take him too seriously.

Anyway, did you guys ever checked out the main site? It even says "Guides/FAQs" at the menu.
http://www.cavestory.org/
Jesus.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:00 AM
Assistance
Not sure if you can "dash" in cavestory, foreign citizen.

spoiler]
p182942-0-barackobamasmokingmarijuana56160.jpg
[/spoiler]

Keep it real, citizens.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Hoxtilicious
Ralren said:
joke thread
Yeah totally, even the title "Hello Everyone / I need help D:" is generic as hell. I don't know what's wrong with my fellow german, these guys are basicly ruining our reputation.

The next time he better searches, all the questions he asked are even answered on the main site.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:10 AM
Assistance
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Yeah totally, even the title "Hello Everyone / I need help D:" is generic as hell. I don't know what's wrong with my fellow german, these guys are basicly ruining our reputation.

The next time he better searches, all the questions he asked are even answered on the main site.
Preach it. Fosho.

We are open for diversity son, don't mess this up again, for the people

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Hoxtilicious
I'm not even trying, this is all awful and the fact that you're not getting it, makes it even worse. Plus, so much Offtopic in this thread, which makes me wanna puke.
Fuck, I want to kill myself now for making this topic even worse than it was before (if that is physicially possibly, that is).

Back to topic please.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So it seems, that some of the members of this forum feel offended by my post ...
As the rage that I caused for some people seemingly goes as far as making them go through severe depression or even making them fear a degradation of the reputation of a whole nation,
I decided to apologize:
Let's start with the title... Looking back at it now, it does sound quite generic indeed - next time I post something (no matter where) I'll try to be more precise.
Onward to the post itself: Perhaps I could've found the answers I was looking for, by myself on the main site, but at the time of creating this thread I wasn't even aware of the main site's mere existence. I guess that if I would've invested a little more time into the matter, I might have found out about the "Guides/FAQ"-section, but looking back it seems I was just too lazy to do that (which has nothing to do with me being german, so please don't think worse of germans just because of me!)

I am very sorry for everyone that has wasted their time helping me and of course I am deeply sorry for my "ShInInG Ex-Dictator" to ruin your nation's reputation.
Furthermore I am grateful to the wild Desu for giving everyone hope for the future : If actually 1/10 tries harder next time, then someone will have learnt from my mistakes which will turn the forum into a better place for everyone. Perhaps Adolf's posts were more than completely unnecessary rage towards a newbie. He shall be remembered as a Hero of the community leading the cavestory.org-forums into a brighter future!

All hail Lelouch!