Has anyone had luck getting the English version running on Windows 98?

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think it'd be cool to get the game running on my retro gaming PC, on my CRT monitor, and considering the game started development in 1999, it's no surprise that the Japanese version works fine (albeit some text issues, but that's because I don't have the Japanese text characters). But after applying the English patch, and to that extent when using the pre-patched version, it doesn't launch. I've tried KernelEx with Windows 10 compatibility, and it doesn't work. I've also tried running it in DOS mode to at least get a message about it not running in DOS mode, but I get nothing. It just closes. What's even stranger about this is Organya View works completely fine, with no issues, and again the Japanese version works as well. Is it something related to the English patch? My setup has a 1.7GHz processor, 512MB of RAM (though I'm open to use PATCHMEM and bump that up to 4GB), and most importantly of all, a Nvidia Geforce FX5200 with 128MB RAM. I don't see why Cave Story wouldn't run on this PC, especially since the Japanese version works fine. It's also worth mentioning that I'm using the original freeware version. Does anyone know what the issue would be?

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:28 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I don't know why the patched EXE wouldn't work, but some people have had success running Cave Story on versions of Windows as far back as 95 by recompiling it with Visual Studio 6, using CSE2. If you want, I can make an EXE like that.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't know why the patched EXE wouldn't work, but some people have had success running Cave Story on versions of Windows as far back as 95 by recompiling it with Visual Studio 6, using CSE2. If you want, I can make an EXE like that.

I would appreciate that, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:06 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Here you go:

Attachments

• Doukutsu.zip
    323.7 KB · Views: 9
Jun 21, 2020 at 3:38 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Not sure why it isn't working for you. I ran the English patched version on an old Windows 98 computer that we got in the summer of 1999, and it ran completely fine. I even ran a couple mods on it (one of which had some assembly hacks), and those worked fine too. I believe it has a Pentium III processor and 128 MB of RAM. I don't remember what the model of the graphics card is. Some time around 2009 we replaced the original graphics card with some NVidia card that we got in 2005 for a different computer that later bit the dust. I'll be visiting my parents' house next month and can check what the exact specs of this Windows 98 computer are.