Handwriting Thread

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yeah like the title says share and discuss your handwriting
why? because I'm bored and figured it would get at least past page 1. Plus I'm kind of curious as to if anyone can actually still read cursive these days.

Mine: spoilered for large-ish scan. Ignore the scribbled-out bits, I made a few mistakes and can't be bothered to redo the whole page.
A sample alphabet of print and cursive in both cases, the standard english test sentence and a small section of my notes as I would actually be writing them.
p163671-0-ilfxtwa.jpg

tell me what you think of my scratch and/or post your own

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
My handwriting is really, really bad, it sorta look's like the top of that picture, but bad.
1.I write in all capitals (For some reason the only lowercase letter i know is "a")
2.I just sort of scribble, i never really pay attention to how i write.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Eh. my hand writinng is readable, to a level. Its fast and efficiant, most people can read it, but i dont scribble if i need to rush for a report or something. Paitience is a virtue C:

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Hey, why don't you capitalize your sentences?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I do ????
Your post itself is missing a bunch of Caps.

I'll be posting this thread when I get a chance to get to my tablet (when I'm not in stats class).

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
handwriting on a tablet is *barely* the same as with a pencil or pen. The feel is entirely different.
diph.php

samey but just more gross.

Anyway sometimes I type half-assedly when I post half-assedly I guess. supercasual.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I am not capable of writing normally. I can only write upside down.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
pics or it didn't happen

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:11 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
My handwriting is fairly normal for non-cursive, although I can't help but make most of my letters skew to opposite directions.

Obviously, my handwriting is more legible when I write large. And I try to make my cursive nowadays as "calligraphic" as possible. When I hurry, I do scribble like any man who writes fast, but I think it is still legible enough.

One time, during tests, I wrote "parity check" and it looked like "panty check" with a dot over the 'n'.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:10 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Why not

Didn't bother including cursive because 1. Cursive is for squares 2. My regular handwriting incorporates it somewhat.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Wow how bored I had to be to actually do this...

p163682-0-o2gxyfg.png

Yeah yeah, I used a thick brush, sorry.
You can tell I really rushed something if it looks like the black in the middle.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well I started off adopting print instead of cursive for my handwriting. I based it on some sans-serif font on some printed document. Over time my handwriting became looser for the sake of writing speed.

bw5h.jpg
That's my standard scrawl mind you.

This is when I want to write a little nicer (the less loose style) it's like this:
fd4h.jpg
It looks bad either way, mainly because I suck at writing in a straight line on unlined paper, but I find it to be much more readable than most handwriting.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
My handwriting is decent, especially when I'm not rushing.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't get where all the hate for cursive comes from
It's elegant!

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
When each character is a different shaped bump in an otherwise straight line because said person's writing style had gotten loose to the point where deviating said person's pen/pencil over 3mm in either direction of the baseline is "too much effort" you have reached the horridly illegible conclusion of cursive handwriting, hence why I don't like it. I'll take legibility over elegance anyday, which is why I gave cursive the thumb and choose to write in print when I was a kid, because I was sick of having to play "guess the word" with incomprehensible handwriting.

I understand that this is not the case with all cursive, but cursive is the root of the problem because it grants you too much freedom in writing speed at the cost of legibility if you ever try to reach that speed limit. Whether it is well used (good balance between writing speed and legibility) or misused (as I said, it's more "guess the word" than reading) is down to the user, like how a knife can be used for cooking food or stabbing people. My handwriting may be messy but it is still quite readable at the limit of its writing speed because it is based on print.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:29 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Although I turn my papers in printing, I still do prefer Cursive. (Most of my friends don't, I can only think of 1 other friend that can write awesome Cursive)

Noxid said:
I don't get where all the hate for cursive comes from
It's elegant!
I agree, I thought it was awesome back when I was taught it back in Elementary. I also remember beating all my friends to do something by being done writing all my stuff. Anyway...
diph.php
Sorry for the faded writing, still write some-what soft with a pencil, should've done it with a pen.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You have a point andwhyisit, but as you said not all cursive has to be bad. I personally use print anytime I know my words need to be read by other people (mostly because I don't have faith that everyone knows cursive to begin with) and when I'm taking notes or just want to be fancy I switch to cursive. It's not nearly as bad as shorthand which is literally secret scribble code and I am pretty sure they don't really teach it anywhere anymore.

It's kind of funny, when I was in elementary school I was rather vehemently opposed to learning cursive because I had decided that I "wouldn't need it" as when I got older we would just be using computers for everything anyway. Not really sure why I picked it up later but I guess it was because I found it more fluid and natural for writing or something.

I like your writing Rubyyoshi, and I see you know the correct form for more of the letters than I do. Although seriously, who decided that capital Q should look like the number 2? that's just silly. Also, I was never really comfortable with the open form of b because I thought it was too similar to a lowercase l, and to compensate I make the loops for my k's really compact and a bit elevated. Well, at least I try to.
truth be told I never really could remember how to do all the capital cursive so for some of them I just start the word with the print form..

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Noxid said:
Well, at least I try to.
truth be told I never really could remember how to do all the capital cursive so for some of them I just start the word with the print form..
I hate the capital cursive letters they teach at school. It's pretty messy for me, and like you I write the capital letters in block form, too.
Dunc2403 said:
I am still vehemently opposed to learning cursive because I don't need it since we are just using computers for everything anyway.
BRB learning monospaced writing. But TBH writing in grids do seem fun, like writing CJK on grid paper.