Hacking the Saved Games with the .dat replacement

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I saw this mentioned in a walkthrough and again here: http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_2.php

It mentions there being a profile.dat which is your saved game data which, rather than overwrite, you can simply rename to conserve if you ever want to restore your old saved game, and then either paste a preexisting one (to play others' games) or simply play from the beginning to get a new one.

I basically... have air tank laments and want to replay it and get the best ending, but I want to keep a copy of my old game since I had saved right before Misery/Doctor and all that. But I simply can't find any file named profile.dat

I am playing the 'Cave Story Deluxe' version. Is it possible that in this release it was renamed as something else or made inaccessible?

For that matter, the 290.rec file which changes the background is also gone. This is something I'm interested in messing with since even though I do want to unlock them via Sacred Grounds legit, it would be nice to be able to switch between different backgrounds at whim later on.

That's another reason I would like to be able to replace the saves, because I could do it at decision-making points (such as whether or not to give back the Mimiga Mask) and be able to save later on without needing to replay the game each time I want to hear different dialogue.

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're playing on Windows 7, and the Cave Story Deluxe extracted itself into your program files. Windows doesn't like programs saving a bunch of stuff to program files, so it gets redirected to appdata or something stupid like that. Just move your CaveStory folder to My Documents or something like that and it should behave as expected. Now, whether or not you'll be able to find where your savedata went is another question...

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
your profile.dat/290.rec files are probably in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\<whichever one corresponds to Cave Story> if you used the deluxe version and CS ended up in the program files folder. i *think*, being as i'm using vista as a reference and have never used Win7 before

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
why bother? just save EVERYTHING to documents like I do. Windows is retarded hard to use if you don't keep absolutely EVERYTHING where you can reach it. Don't go putting shit in Temp either.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If you had read the thread a bit more carefully you might have noticed that people weren't putting things in temp, it was windows doing it by itself without warning. Thanks for your, uh, help though.