Games like Cave Story.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:11 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Fez still isnt out, and the over-- i mean underside is-- is a miserable little pile of secre- i mean rip off (I WAS KIDDING DAMMIT)- dammit now im thinking of symphony of the night
anyway i started this as a PC thread, so please please please post pc games, i have a wii, a gc, a ds, and other shit but im talking about pc games that are like cave story as they're pretty hard to find so if you have any you're willing to share please post about them. I've played through all the metroid series btw.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:19 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Atravir said:
"1213" by Yahtzee. It's really dark, but otherwise not bad.

Is there an English patch for Akuji the Demon?
Yeah there is, its on HOTU

and thank you for posting 1213, i forgot about that one, keep posting people
and sorry about double posting :D

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:36 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1. The Underside isn't a ripoff.
2. They didn't steal the Cave Story engine.
3. Everyone who tries to flame over this or is disagreeing will be BANNED.

YIFF IN HELL!

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:55 AM
S. P. Gardebiter said:

YIFF IN HELL!

holy-- ok ok im sorry, i didnt mean to flame i was just kidding, its actually a pretty good game, from the previews ive played

and btw i refuse to yiff in hell cuz that is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARR from how i roll

sorry if i offended you S. P. Gardebiter, i really am :D

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:56 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
wadeizzle said:
Fez still isnt out, and the over-- i mean underside is-- is a miserable little pile of secre- i mean rip off- dammit now im thinking of symphony of the night
Pixel used elements from games he liked as a kid to make cave story (he mentioned this in an interview). Seriously, raise your hand if you noticed that the cave story "get health capsule" sound is the same as the metroid "get item" sound. The underside is inspired by several games as well, and one of them is cave story. If you think Underside is a rip-off then you are sadly mistaken. Also it uses MMF2 as the engine and none of the graphics or sound are ripped (as far as I am aware).

EDIT:
S. P. Gardebiter said:

YIFF IN HELL!
Holy Fucking He... :D

I posted before seeing your post though.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:00 AM
sorry

andwhyisit said:
Pixel used elements from games he liked as a kid to make cave story (he mentioned this in an interview). Seriously, raise your hand if you noticed that the cave story "get health capsule" sound is the same as the metroid "get item" sound. The underside is inspired by several games as well, and one of them is cave story. If you think Underside is a rip-off then you are sadly mistaken. Also it uses MMF2 as the engine and none of the graphics or sound are ripped (as far as I am aware).

EDIT:

Holy Fucking He... :D

I posted before seeing your post though.
i know i was just as shocked as you are, i was only kidding jesus christ, i really didnt mean to start a war or anything, im really sorry if i, like, offended anyone, really i am :( :( :( i wasnt trying to flame

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:46 AM
Hoxtilicious
I love how to see members go crazy about really bad jokes made by me...

LMFAO!
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:51 AM
*facepalm* can we get back to the topic? MOAR CAVE STORY LIKE GAMES FOR THE PC

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:00 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The Underside seriously is a crappy ripoff. If the graphics and story weren't an immediate tipoff to you, than you need some serious help. This is so blatantly obvious that it's almost sickening. But no, that's not what makes me mad about the game. That's ultimately all fine and okay, commendable, even, but you know what truly, absolutely enrages me? The fact that the creator has the nerve to say that The Underside is superior in any way to the original, and the fact that he only ever mentions Cave Story as an inferior base to what he created. That sort of display is what truly disgusts me and makes in my eyes The Underside a worthless piece of garbage that is best avoided.

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:32 AM
not really an rpg/shooter, but a great great GREAT pc sidescroller
Gish
i loved it, i bought it when it first came out, talk about a fun game, doesnt hold a candle to cave story at all though

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:33 AM
Hoxtilicious
I love the Underside.
I think I pm the admin to make a section just for it~

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:43 AM
S. P. Gardebiter said:
I love the Underside.
I think I pm the admin to make a section just for it~

UGH.jpg

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:22 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
The Underside seriously is a crappy ripoff. If the graphics and story weren't an immediate tipoff to you, than you need some serious help. This is so blatantly obvious that it's almost sickening. But no, that's not what makes me mad about the game. That's ultimately all fine and okay, commendable, even, but you know what truly, absolutely enrages me? The fact that the creator has the nerve to say that The Underside is superior in any way to the original, and the fact that he only ever mentions Cave Story as an inferior base to what he created. That sort of display is what truly disgusts me and makes in my eyes The Underside a worthless piece of garbage that is best avoided.
Oh shut up.

Arthur Lee has quoted other games as inspiration for TU as well such as Earthbound, and now that I've played that I can really see the similarities in the writing and the sense of humour. Also if everybody enjoyed Cave Story so much I don't see why they wouldn't want another game made like it -_- Give a man something to hate...

Anyways, the majority of my sidescroller gaming knowledge comes pretty much from watch DeceasedCrab's Let's Plays, so I guess I'll just mention some of them >_<
For some good/interesting... ones, try Cocoron, Legacy of the Wizard, Maze of Galious, StarTropics/StarTropics 2, Yo! Noid, Power Blade, Rocky Rodent, Journey to Silius, Skuljagger, and Kabuki Quantum Fighter. Oh, and BARVIE AND THA MAVIK OF PEGAFUFF!!!1!1!!1

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
The Underside seriously is a crappy ripoff.
Well I can say that Cave Story was a rip-off of Metroid since pixel mashed elements from the games he liked as a kid into one game. The same happened with the underside. It was visually inspired by cave story, but from what I hear the gameplay and story are quite different.
http://www.insignificantstudios.com/about.php

Kageryushin said:
If the graphics and story weren't an immediate tipoff to you, than you need some serious help. This is so blatantly obvious that it's almost sickening.
The story huh? Learn to read:
http://www.insignificantstudios.com/about.php

Kageryushin said:
The fact that the creator has the nerve to say that The Underside is superior in any way to the original, and the fact that he only ever mentions Cave Story as an inferior base to what he created. That sort of display is what truly disgusts me and makes in my eyes The Underside a worthless piece of garbage that is best avoided.
Prove that he said that.

p.s. Cave story isn't used as a base.

Oh and:
http://www.insignificantstudios.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1195808307

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:45 AM
i have startropics on my virtual console :D
k now this thread is starting to get places, people have posted some solid games

i found another one i had forgotten about: Atomic Butcher, extremely violent 2d sidescroller thats a lot of fun

guardian of paradise: AMAZING zelda like game that is pretty high caliber stuff

Halo Zero: side scrolling shooter using mouse and keyboard, kind of a 2d remake of halo

Knytt: not an rpg but more of an adventure game, i cant fucking believe i forgot to mention this one initially.

this thread is made of win and awesome, keep suggesting more games

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:25 AM
DoubleThink said:
Arthur Lee has quoted other games as inspiration for TU as well such as Earthbound, and now that I've played that I can really see the similarities in the writing and the sense of humour.

Yeah, I really don’t see how this has anything to do with what I said at all, but I’ll respond anyway. The entire situation is kind of like that one scene in Final Fantasy VII where Hojo puts Aerith and that useless lion thing in the same room and tries to force them to breed except with Metroid and Cave Story in their place. After he accomplished something similar to that, the author then took the genetic material of a cat, a dog and a cow from their respective articles of waste and imprinted the material directly into the creature’s DNA. The result is Cave Story filled with a bunch of Metroid enemies and a ton of furfags plus a shitty story whose only redeemable character is the antagonistic cat with the eye-twitch.

DoubleThink said:
Also if everybody enjoyed Cave Story so much I don't see why they wouldn't want another game made like it -_- Give a man something to hate…

This part is just glaringly dumb. Did you bother to read my post at all? You really should take your own advice if only to preserve the illusion that you’re not completely brainless.

andwhyisit said:
Well I can say that Cave Story was a rip-off of Metroid since pixel mashed elements from the games he liked as a kid into one game. The same happened with the underside. It was visually inspired by cave story, but from what I hear the gameplay and story are quite different.

The gameplay is pretty much the same except for slightly altered physics and different enemies that are ripped from Metroid.

The story huh? Learn to read.

At one point in the game’s development the “world” was actually said to be a floating island. This was said on an older version of the site, so I can’t really prove it. How ‘bout that? Regardless, the setting still retains the look of an island.

Prove that he said that.

Unfortunately for me this was also said on aforementioned older version. So I guess you’re just going to have to take my word for it, but you’re not, so there.

p.s. Cave story isn't used as a base.

You misunderstood, genius. He used Cave Story as a base as in he based it off of Cave Story.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:54 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
Yeah, I really don’t see how this has anything to do with what I said at all, but blah blah blah Final Fantasy VII blah blah blah blah eye-twitch glaringly blah blah blah.
That part wasn't directed at you, rather it was just me musing in general, which is why I left that sizable gap after my first line. But whatever, I really have no idea why you think me or anybody else gives a shit about your opinion and whether or not you like something at this stage, so no, I didn't really bother to read your post. So what if it disgusts you? So what if it makes you angry? EVERYTHING makes you darned kids angry, there's no way to tell what matters and what doesn't. It's like saying that the oceans are blue. Though if you want a tip, why not start playing/watching/doing things to enjoy them rather than to complain about them? You will be shockingly surprised to find that having fun... is actually fun. IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU.
Nice 180 there too, I suggest you try for a couple more!

@ wade fo' shizzle: I was gonna mention Knytt but it didn't really strike me as a standard platformer and it isn't really a run-and-gun. But on that note: Within a Deep Forest and Knytt Stories.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:24 PM
............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

at the flamewar that has erupted
and knytt stories kicks ass, keep posting

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Kageryushin said:
The result is Cave Story filled with a bunch of Metroid enemies and a ton of furfags plus a shitty story whose only redeemable character is the antagonistic cat with the eye-twitch.
Stop ranting and actually think about what you say.

How are underside enemies ripping of Metroid? Do they look similar? Maybe slightly, but how creative can you get on an 8-bit graphics engine? And where did you get "furfags"? There are animals in the game, yes, but there are also animals in Cave Story, along with half the games on the market. And as far as a shitty story goes, it's not Final Fantasy quality, but for a freeware game, it's pretty creative. I'd like to see you come up with better.

If you're going to insult something, it might help to say something that's actually wring with it instead of just spitting out words off the top of your head.

@wadeizzle: Knitt was fun, it would have been better if it gave you any indication on what you're doing.
Another one like Knitt was an Untitled Story. Decent, but the difficulty curve was tantalizing.