Game causes system to crash

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This has really been bugging me and, after several attempts to fix it myself, I'm finally convinced that I need help on this.

When I run Cave Story the game runs fine for approximately 30 seconds and then causes my whole computer to restart. This was not always the case, as I have already beaten the game on this system. When the game is in full screen mode there is a blue screen that flashes for not half a second before the computer restarts. Too fast, in fact, for me to read the error's first sentence. I've been prepared to live with the error for a while now. It first happened a few months ago, and I had an odd hope that it would eventually go away. It didn't and I'm worried now.

Fixes I've tried:

Restarting the computer (It's een over a month since I last tried the game)

Downloading the latest version

Installing from scratch

Adjusting the video settings

This is an XP system, by the way, which has no other problems to speak of. Not even spyware. I've searched Google for anyone else having this problem but I haven't found anything.

Also, I have a secondary hard drive with Windows 98SE installed on it. It runs Cave Story on this system just fine, which tells me that it's almost definitely a software problem. It's obviously not just an XP problem since not only have I run the game before on this system but my laptop also runs the gave fine in XP. I'm still very confused at how such a program can cause the whole computer to shut down...

Obvious solution at this point is to simply switch to my 98SE hard drive to play the game, but that's pretty inconvenient considering that everything else of mine is installed on my XP.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:51 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A friend of mine was having a similar problem... I suck with computers so, sorry I can't be more helpful right now. But I know it had something to do with his audio settings.

I'll talk to him about it tommarow, and get back to you.

OKAY! Try the following, it might fixify your problem.
Turn "hardware acceleration" down from control panel, sounds and audio devices, volume tab, at the bottom after clicking advanced in "speaker settings".

May 1, 2006 at 9:39 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey! That worked! Thank you very much.

I actually had a suspicion that it might have been the sound card, but I wasn't sure if I had upgraded it before or after I had a problem. Apparantly there is such a thing as "too good"...

May 1, 2006 at 3:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Glad that helped. Mess around with it to see how high you can have it with out crashing. The hardware acceleration dosn't have to be completely off, but on my friends pc it has to be about 1/3 or lower to work.