Full Background Search

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello fellow fans of Cave Story! I come here to share with you my intentions. I am currently planning a comic of sorts featuring Cave Story. I have successfully extracted the sprites, but I have a problem. I have no way of getting the backgrounds. I was wondering if someone had any way of doing this, or if someone already had them, including the 'moving' backgrounds, such as the one of the Balcony, the sky you know, and the background objects such as beds and tables...Could someone perhaps assist me in my search?

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:28 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Backgrounds are in the 'data' folder in the Cave Story folder, and have bk in front of them, like bkMoon, bkMaze, etc. They should open in paint, but make sure to save them as something different if you want CS to keep playing properly. Some of them are 'repeating' backgrounds though, which is why they're very small.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:29 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Lemme think... bkFog... and bkMoon... are those the only ones that don't loop? I think so, I think the rest are looping backgrounds.

If you get rid of the moon (is it the sun in Fog?) you can also loop those two horizontally, but not vertically, save for just filling in with solid color the areas beyond.

The rest you'll have to tile. It might be useful if you created a separate folder, enlarged the workspace/canvas on all of the background files, tiled the backgrounds until you had a good large space covered in it, and whenever you need it you can just rectangular marquee a piece of that large tiled background.

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you very much.

Now all I need is backgrounds with the background objects such as the bars on the cages in the room where you fight the doctor, and the computers and stuff in the Egg Observation Chamber...

Come to think of it, is there any program to view the backgrounds of Cave Story?

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:53 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
.pbm files are renamed .bmp files. Any image editting program will do once you rename each .pbm as a .bmp.

The cages and stuff should be in the NPC folder.

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:42 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
if you want the full maps from cave story I'll upload them tonight.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes! That's just what I need. Full maps. Oh, by the way, does anyone know where to find the skull the second form of Ballos launches? I've looked through all the files and the only picture of it I can find is the credits image.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
http://www.mediafire.com/?djwmg9gj1dc

Have fun. :mad:

The scrolling cloud backgrounds are actually broken up into 4 (or was it five?) sections with the bottom 3 or 4 scrolling at different rates and the top one not moving at all.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
jcys810 said:
How did you take those? :o
A backup of a zip file that someone else posted in a link that is now broken.

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I see. Thank you.